AMD FX-8150 or Intel Xeon E3-1230

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedokes

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Hello,
I'm thinking of a processor & MB upgrade.
From what I'm seen the above two seem to fit my needs and budget. I'll likely couple either with an appropriate Asus board.
Any thoughts on either processor? or another direction altoghter?

Solution

my advice is unless you do a LOT of video editing or something where compling time matters then there is no need for the FX.

Xeons are server CPUs as someone else stated, not really good for home.

I would honestly suggest 2 things.

1. Phenom2 over the FX as it performs better and is cheaper and works in the AM3+ mobo WITHOUT a bios flash for sure.

Some of the AM3+ boards don't have the proper bios and you have to flash it, IMO not worth the trouble for something that isnt that much of an...

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

For heavily threaded apps , both will be about the same....but the Intel one is a SERVER chip, and is rated at 80W, versus 125W of the AMD FX. Less power = Lower electricity bill in the long run :)

However, the FX is unlocked, and the FX 8120 is almost similar and can be had at a lower price :)

For apps with 4 threads or less, the Intel chip will be faster by a significant margin :)

That said, i think server chips require special RAM chips with ECC or something, but just confirm with some1 else :)

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

my advice is unless you do a LOT of video editing or something where compling time matters then there is no need for the FX.

Xeons are server CPUs as someone else stated, not really good for home.

I would honestly suggest 2 things.

1. Phenom2 over the FX as it performs better and is cheaper and works in the AM3+ mobo WITHOUT a bios flash for sure.

Some of the AM3+ boards don't have the proper bios and you have to flash it, IMO not worth the trouble for something that isnt that much of an upgrade from a P2.

2. if your trying to save a bit of cash, get an AM3+ Mobo but put a Phenom 2 CPU in it. And avoid the ASUS ROG AM3+, herd so many problems with'em.

The AM3+ mobo will let you upgrade down the line if you need to, Intel's track record isn't good when it comes to socket life.

TL;DR Version. Get a phenom 2 CPU with a AM3+ mobo, but avoid the ROG line from ASUS on the AM3+ platform.

Solution

tankerboi

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I have the 1230 and the 1235 both installed on Gigabyte boards and it seems the 1230 runs better than the 1235. I use the 1230 to transcode to H.264 all day and it is very fast and stable. It will do what used to take 10-11 hours worth of transcoding in 2-3 hours.

I had the FX-8150 for a month or two and can say that the 1230 will blow the 8150 out of the water. The 1230 can't really be overclocked, so that needs to be considered too. If you're looking for a build it and forget it workstation setup then get the 1230.

Right now you can get the 1230 for a little over $200 at superbiiz
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=XEON1230

A really good value for what it is.

thedokes

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks Everyone,
Appreciate the help.
I'm not a heavy gamer & have just one add-on GPU.
Only game I'm addicted to is FM2012.
The database processing in the game has been slowing down noticeably of late as I pile on the information.

I've always been an AMD guy & will be sticking there with the 8120 or 8150,
Price value for me is in Asus M5A97 EVO.
Present setup is an Athlon II x4-925 with an Asus M4A87TD.
Pretty quick but it's that time of the (2nd) year when I try to keep up with the Jones.
Asus is by far the best MB I've every had, so I guess I'm an "Amdasus".
Hoping to see some improvement.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS