Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommendations for old LGA775 Intel CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 31, 2012 2:53:25 PM

I want a cheap upgrade from a Intel pentium E2160 (1.8Ghz) and was wondering what you would recommend and what is compatible with my motherboard

My motherboard is the Acer F671CR with the 671/FX/DX/MX chipset


Thanks
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 6:10:37 PM

Sad thing is the better LGA775 cpus are not cheap- Consider saving for a new mobo/ram/cpu upgrade.
-Bruce
Related resources
March 31, 2012 7:13:22 PM

scottiemedic said:
This is all I could find, it's for an Acer SA90 if that's what you have, but it has the same chipset as yours:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/Asp...



Yeah I was struggling to find information on this too, I was hoping that somebody may have experience with older systems.
I've read online that people have had problems with this motherboard with the 45nm chips (E2160 is 65nm) and the motherboard doesn't always register them. hopefully this is just a bios problem which an upgrade could fix.

Thanks for the info anyway :D 
March 31, 2012 7:26:04 PM

dish_moose said:
Sad thing is the better LGA775 cpus are not cheap- Consider saving for a new mobo/ram/cpu upgrade.
-Bruce


Well I already have a gaming PC with an i5 2400 so I already have a better PC, I was looking in the price range of around £50 for a better CPU as I still sometime use it for general use.

Here is CPU-Z http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2227038


Thanks

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 7:30:43 PM

Try eBay or a second hand shop but UK prices and availability sucks.
April 1, 2012 5:00:00 PM

I just bought an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66ghz with 4mb cache for £32.10 off Ebay including P&P. It was released the same year as my current E2160, both are Q3'06.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 7:10:10 PM

mikes1992 said:
I just bought an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66ghz with 4mb cache for £32.10 off Ebay including P&P. It was released the same year as my current E2160, both are Q3'06.


You got a pretty good deal there and you won't be dissapointed. It might actually even run cooler than your old cpu.
April 1, 2012 10:28:03 PM

nforce4max said:
You got a pretty good deal there and you won't be dissapointed. It might actually even run cooler than your old cpu.


"It might actually even run cooler"
Well It's still 65nm (I read that my board has problems with the new 45nm chips which is why I chose this), It will also run cooler just by cleaning some of the dust off my heatsink... lol I haven't dusted it for 4 years (atm it runs at 63c under load). It will be quite impressive if the same manufacturing process "65nm" at 2.66ghz from 1.8ghz actually runs cooler, it will be good to see :D .

"You got a pretty good deal"
Yeah I thought it was a pretty good deal, especially reading that it was priced at $320 (£200) when it was being produced and sold by intel which is around 625% more then I paid or 16% of the original price lol. I also saw another seller with 4 (in stock) buy it now, used E6700 @ £40.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 11:12:55 PM

mikes1992 said:
"It might actually even run cooler"
Well It's still 65nm (I read that my board has problems with the new 45nm chips which is why I chose this), It will also run cooler just by cleaning some of the dust off my heatsink... lol I haven't dusted it for 4 years (atm it runs at 63c under load). It will be quite impressive if the same manufacturing process "65nm" at 2.66ghz from 1.8ghz actually runs cooler, it will be good to see :D .

"You got a pretty good deal"
Yeah I thought it was a pretty good deal, especially reading that it was priced at $320 (£200) when it was being produced and sold by intel which is around 625% more then I paid or 16% of the original price lol. I also saw another seller with 4 (in stock) buy it now, used E6700 @ £40.


Make sure you get some thermal compound and clean the old thermal compound off of your heatsink with 97% isoprophyl alcohol. You must put a little dot of thermal compound on the chip or you risk damaging it. Use a dot about the size of a grain of rice right in the middle of the chip before you fasten your heatsink. And use coffee filters to clean the chip and the heatsink along with the alcohol to make sure its clear of fingerprints, dust, and lint.
April 4, 2012 2:41:44 PM

I got the CPU today and I've installed it.

My temps are a little lower then my previous CPU although my heat sink was clogged up with dust. there was even dust/fluff around the CPU which I carefully cleaned off before I removed the old CPU from the Socket.
My temps are min 36c max 62c and idling around 40c which seems ok especially since my case doesn't have any fans.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2320059
!