Best Graphics Card for Asus Striker Extreme

Due to a lack of funds I can currently only afford to upgrade my graphics card but I can't work out which one will "future proof" me best until a complete rebuild. Currently running Asus Striker Extreme, Q6600 (Quad 2.4GHz), NVIDIA 8800GTS, 4Gb Kingston HyperX T1 @1066MHz and Win7 64bit. Seems like I have 2x PCIe x16 slots but I have no idea what would work given I won't be able to run anything too modern. Any ideas?
11 answers Last reply
More about best graphics card asus striker extreme
  1. Gtx 460 maybe.
  2. What is your budget?

What is the make/model of your PSU?

In order to make it a worthwhile upgrade over the 8800GTS your going to need at least a 6850 or GTX460.But that's just the bare minimum.

If your really tight on a budget and plan to upgrade later you can always buy another 8800GTS for SLI which would be faster than both options listed above.Of course they will eat up a lot of power so you have to make sure you have an ample PSU.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=320-P2-N811-RX-CO-R&utm_source=GoogleProducts&utm_medium=ShoppingSites&utm_campaign=320-P2-N811-RX-CO-R
  3. I'll check my PSU shortly, but my main concern is that there will be a massive drop in performance if I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card through a 1.0 port! I know they are backwards compatible but I'd see it is a waste to upgrade to something I can't fully utilise. I would buy a second 8800gts but they seem to be pretty phased out.
  4. Just seems like a better deal to me if your intention is to fully upgrade everything when you have more money.A 8800GTS SLI is still very modest for today's standards.

The site I linked above is selling a 8800GTS for $40.

You still haven't told us your budget yet.
  5. Im in the UK, and my budget would be at most £60 ($100). SLI is probably the best idea, do you have to have two identical or is it just rough matching? I've got an xfx geforce 8800gts 320mb, do I need an exact match?
  6. rhs815 said:
    Im in the UK, and my budget would be at most £60 ($100). SLI is probably the best idea, do you have to have two identical or is it just rough matching? I've got an xfx geforce 8800gts 320mb, do I need an exact match?

No, just another 8800GTS 320MB but they're a bit thin on the ground these days.
  7. Most of the ones I saw online were for less than $100 but they are either used or refurbished.

You won't gain anything from getting a card with more VRAM but as long as it doesn't cost more than a 320mb model then it shouldn't matter.

What of your PSU?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BFG-GeForce-320MBPCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B000N4PBBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319757864&sr=8-1
  8. This wont be my main PC for long but it will be handed down and expected to run the latest games. I'm a big fan of FEAR and just purchased No3, it requires a 512Mb 8800GT as a minimum. How long before two of my 8800GTS in SLI become lower than the average minimum spec?
  9. For minimum specs? I'd say about 2 years maybe more.Only on the most demanding games will the 8800GTS SLI be limited.But it will be the processor that cause's a bottleneck long before the 8800GTS in SLI.
  10. My PSU is an 485W Enermax (EG495AX-VE) so I'll probably need to replace that too. You reckon I'd have any trouble putting an HD 6850 in there?
  11. No I think the 6850 will work fine.But you should replace your PSU whenever possible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus Striker Extreme Graphics