VGA Question

Ive been looking into purchasing a 6870 twin fozr III for starcraft 2.

The connections are DVI and HDMI but the only slot of my monitor is VGA.
What should i do?

Is there like a hdmi to vga or dvi to vga converter?
If so do they effect the quality much?
10 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. If the monitor is VGA only their won't be any difference using a VGA adapter.It would be different if it was the other way around since HDMI and DVI send a higher quality signal.A simple DVI to VGA adapter is all you need to make it work.

    Usually the markers will ship a DVI to VGA adapter with the card but it's not always certain.

    Something like this is what you would need.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201
  2. purple stank said:
    If the monitor is VGA only their won't be any difference using a VGA adapter.It would be different if it was the other way around since HDMI and DVI send a higher quality signal.A simple DVI to VGA adapter is all you need to make it work.

    Usually the markers will ship a DVI to VGA adapter with the card but it's not always certain.

    Something like this is what you would need.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201


    Ah great thanks.
    Also will a 400W PSU be ok for a 6870
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-hd-6870-oc-hawk-with-twinfrozer-iii-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-930mhz-1120-stream-processors-dvi-hdmi

    Only fans in system is PSU and CPU and my CPU is a duo core @ 3.00ghz
  3. Depends if it is a quality PSU or not.What is the make/model of the PSU?

    At 3ghz it will bottleneck the 6870.Try O.C.ing to 3.4-3.6ghz to lessen the bottleneck.
  4. purple stank said:
    Depends if it is a quality PSU or not.What is the make/model of the PSU?

    At 3ghz it will bottleneck the 6870.Try O.C.ing to 3.4-3.6ghz to lessen the bottleneck.


    Ah...

    I might just renew my pc completely get a i5 2500 etc..
  5. That's probably a good idea.

    What games are you looking to play?
  6. purple stank said:
    That's probably a good idea.

    What games are you looking to play?


    Well at the moment i only really play starcraft 2. i play about 3-5 games a day
  7. I will probably buy skyrim when its out too
  8. sorry for the posts won't let me edit. i asked if the gpu came with dvi to vga and they replyed it comes with "That graphics card is provided with a DVI to D-SUB adaptor." will that do what i want?
  9. Yes a D-SUB adapter will work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DVI VGA HDMI Graphics