Sign in with
Your question

Recommended Motherboard question Phenom II x4 945

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2013 4:23:41 PM

Hi all, I purchased 2 bare bones kits from tiger direct several months ago and have not been able to get either system to install xp or win7. I can install Linux or ESX on both systems without a problem but windows fails. I have updated the bios on both boards to Asus's latest and downloaded and slipstreamed the drivers into XP SP2&3 install disks as well as Win7x64 Ultimate and Home Premium.

I think my problem is a hardware incompatibility between the Mobo and the CPU.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 HDX945WFGMBOX
MOBO: Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus

What Mobo would you recommend for the Phenom II CPU
What CPU would you recommend for the ASUS mobo

This system won't be used for gaming so I don't need a lot of Horsepower. I just need a good reliable economical system that will run windows (wife's computer not mine. ;) 

TIA
a c 408 V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 3:26:16 AM

Boot to the Win7 DVD and select custom install. Then delete the partition(s). Let Windows create the new partition(s) itself. You shouldn't have to format unless linux/ESX left a different format on the disk.
m
l
February 8, 2013 7:08:01 AM

davemcp said:

I think my problem is a hardware incompatibility between the Mobo and the CPU.
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 HDX945WFGMBOX
MOBO: Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus
TIA

They are compatible so that isn't your problem.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 1:56:51 PM

I have tried to install to a 500 gb sata drive and a 250 gb ssd, with the drivers slipstreamed in and with the ASUS drivers disk. It fails to recognize the HDD. I have also tried with the latest driver downloads from ASUS still no install.
m
l
February 8, 2013 1:57:38 PM

I meant to note that there were no partitions on either.
m
l
February 8, 2013 2:54:05 PM

As I mentioned I have updated to the lates bios, downloaded the latest drivers slipstreamed them into winxp sp2 and sp3 as well as win7 and win7 sp1. On the xp installes I get a BSOD that says basically no installation target drive available. The win 7 install just keeps asking for a compatible driver for the storage controller and I have tried them all as well as setting the bios to SATA AHCI and RAID none fo them work. Linux see's the storage just fine as does ESX5.1 but windows just won't see them.

I have never had problems with ASUS boards before and their tech support says "It should work"
m
l
February 8, 2013 5:03:59 PM

My main question is "If you have this CPU running well on Windows, what motherboard are you using?"
m
l
a c 408 V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 7:01:47 PM

I guess my main question is, why are you loading drivers? And what for? A blank HDD needs no drivers. Reset your BIOS to default settings and try again. If the other O/S's installed OK, there's nothing wrong with the board. Win7 should install fine.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:03:19 PM

I am trying to load storage drivers so that the HDD's will show up in the install.
m
l
a c 408 V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 11:46:10 PM

davemcp said:
I am trying to load storage drivers so that the drives will show up in the install.

They don't need drivers for Win7 if they are SATA drives. If the drives are recognized in BIOS, they will be recognized in Win7.
Disconnect the SATA data cable from the SSD, set the HDD as the primary drive in BIOS. Then boot to the Win7 install disk. See if it allows an install on the HDD. Sometimes if Win7 sees more than 1 drive, it will get confused and balk at installing.

Then try the opposite. Disconnect the HDD's SATA cable and re-connect the SDD's SATA cable. Set the SDD as the primary drive in BIOS. Try it again that way. If Win7 then allows installation on the SDD, go for it.

But when you do get the system to finally do the install, you may first want to read this tutorial for installing Win7 to a SSD. There are a few peculiarities to watch out for that are different with a SSD rather than a HDD. This will help you avoid the pitfalls and have a better SSD install.
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
m
l
!