Sent and received bytes keeps on increasi even when idle

subho9000

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
This has been happening of late. When i check the status of my connection, i notice that the "sent" and "received" bytes keeps on increasing when i'm idle. I'm pretty much sure there's no downloading of any sort in progress that I'm aware of. As a result of this, I can't watch videos in Youtube or play online games due to high ping. Any help about how to go about the problem would be much appreciated. :wahoo:

G

If you already have anti-virus I would install an anti-malware program (such as SuperAntiSpyware or MalwareBytes) if I were you. Particularly if when you go offline (ie disconnect from the internet) an error message appears.

subho9000

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I scanned my pc using Super AntiSpyware and no threats were detected. Is there any way I can monitor internet activity or something? Like, right from the moment I connect, what programs begin using the internet? Also, my main problem is gaming. I wouldn't mind the idle downloading (whatever it is) as long as the major chunk of my internet is prioritized to gaming and i get a low ping. (Call of Duty 4)
Any solutions?

G

Have a look for a program which will list what programs are running -- see free download sites like CNET, FileHippos, MajorGeeks.

Meanwhile go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG and see what that shows.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
There are free tools from Microsoft(Sysinternals) to see what applications are transmitting data.

Find out which app is doing lots of data and research it. If it's a bad app or something you can't find info out on, block it in Window's firewall.

zxzasa

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

you need some monitoring soft to understand, whats the reason
i use http://www.protemac.com/keybag_pro/ (its for mac)