Sign in with
Your question

Sent and received bytes keeps on increasi even when idle

Last response: in Networking
January 20, 2011 10:51:40 AM

This has been happening of late. When i check the status of my connection, i notice that the "sent" and "received" bytes keeps on increasing when i'm idle. I'm pretty much sure there's no downloading of any sort in progress that I'm aware of. As a result of this, I can't watch videos in Youtube or play online games due to high ping. Any help about how to go about the problem would be much appreciated. :wahoo: 
Anonymous
January 20, 2011 11:45:18 AM

If you already have anti-virus I would install an anti-malware program (such as SuperAntiSpyware or MalwareBytes) if I were you. Particularly if when you go offline (ie disconnect from the internet) an error message appears.

m
l
January 20, 2011 1:25:05 PM

I scanned my pc using Super AntiSpyware and no threats were detected. Is there any way I can monitor internet activity or something? Like, right from the moment I connect, what programs begin using the internet? Also, my main problem is gaming. I wouldn't mind the idle downloading (whatever it is) as long as the major chunk of my internet is prioritized to gaming and i get a low ping. (Call of Duty 4)
Any solutions?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 20, 2011 3:39:32 PM

Have a look for a program which will list what programs are running -- see free download sites like CNET, FileHippos, MajorGeeks.

Meanwhile go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG and see what that shows.
m
l
January 22, 2011 5:15:05 PM

There are free tools from Microsoft(Sysinternals) to see what applications are transmitting data.

Find out which app is doing lots of data and research it. If it's a bad app or something you can't find info out on, block it in Window's firewall.
m
l
February 7, 2011 2:28:15 PM

subho9000 said:
This has been happening of late. When i check the status of my connection, i notice that the "sent" and "received" bytes keeps on increasing when i'm idle. I'm pretty much sure there's no downloading of any sort in progress that I'm aware of. As a result of this, I can't watch videos in Youtube or play online games due to high ping. Any help about how to go about the problem would be much appreciated. :wahoo: 

you need some monitoring soft to understand, whats the reason
i use http://www.protemac.com/keybag_pro/ (its for mac)
m
l
February 7, 2011 3:48:49 PM

The new processes explorer from Sysinternals will show you current network bandwidth for each app. Just check which app is transferring data.
m
l
!