brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
So odd question you may have answered before somewhere.

In total my computer has 11 sound ports... 2Digital, 9 standard 3.5mm ports. I have tested and at least 4 of them are for sound output and I'm guessing the other 5 are for mic/Sound Input.

Pretty much what I want to do is, have music playing connected to the speakers. and have a game I'm playing(cod4) output thru another Audio jack to my headphones.

Surely this must be possible, if not, What would I have to do software/hardware wise?

Solution
You can do that by purchasing another sound card and switch between the built in and the add in card from inside the Windows. But you can't have 2 outputs at the same time but you can make what you said but you'll have to insert the jacks every time.
You can do that by purchasing another sound card and switch between the built in and the add in card from inside the Windows. But you can't have 2 outputs at the same time but you can make what you said but you'll have to insert the jacks every time.

Solution

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Elaborate farther, please. More information needed? The sound card is onboard Realtek something....... Nvm My PC is an HP Pavilion a819n.

So for 2 outputs I'd wish to plug in my speakers to the one labeled "Center" and my headphones plugged into "Front Speaker out" because plugging into the headphones jack seems to disable all other ports.

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Edit: After a short time of messing with the settings everywhere I enabled 7.1 Surround sound and set my media player to output only at 2.1 channels. That made the music come out of my speakers while my headphones worked for the game only.