CPU runs,monitor blackout motherboard faulty?

niketyad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys and whatever help you could give me on this bizzare issue would be more than welcome.

Sometimes my monitor will just black out,the cpu fans keep running though.But however its not a monitor or a driver issue at all since not only have i changed graphic cards and updated drivers but when an mp3 is playing in the background and this happens,the mp3 stops playing too.So i assume essentially the computer crashes but there's no restart and the fans keep on running.The only way to get back to normal is to unplug the system and then start it again.

Its not a power supply issue either.The psu can easily support the whole thing.No heating problems either.All temperatures well within limits.No problematic cables too.I have read in a forum that I might have some problem with my motherboard,specifically some burnt IC's.Could that be?

The computer is a 5 year old Pentium D with a Gigabyte motherboard.

niketyad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
If there was a faulty cable,the cpu would have still worked,but what happens is the computer 'freezes'.The fans work but nothing happens,the hdd light doesnt blink and any program being executed stops.

Then I would suspect the hardrive or a bloatware issue. You get alot of accumulated old files over the course of several years; you may want to clean up your system if you haven't done so in awhile. Windows diskcleanup or ie privacy keeper (version 2.7; newer versions can wipe out critical files) are two free programs I use. And yes, your board may have some old caps (capacitors) on their last leg. It might be more productive to just change boards; check ebay or computer geeks for older boards; get a new one if you can. Newegg has five new socket 478 boards in stock; and several ddr2 775 boards; just match the motherboard chipset and you should be fine.

niketyad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you very much for your time and answer o1die.I do use CCleaner as well as tune up utililities which take care of accumulated old files issue while revo uninstaller takes care of the rest.I ran a check for the hard drive issue trhough tune up utilities and it didnt show any.I guess it must be the motherboard then.

One last question,do they even make boards for old processors like pentium D anymore? and will only 775 ddr2 work with the components or is there any flecibility in the matter?Sorry i dont know much about motherboards.

Use cpuz to confirm your socket type and chipset model number. Price a comparable board; doesn't have to be the same brand. Also locate your windows cd/dvd installation disk in case windows crashes and requires you to reinstall with a format.