Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Ok so like many I bought Bf3. My 4 year old computer with a Intel Core 2 2.8 cannot handle BF3 due to my 8600GTS 1 gig. Alas it has lasted me a while. I am going to buy a completely new rig around April. In the mean time i want a CHEAP solution to put into my current pc to get an acceptable frame rate.

A guy at work is willing to sell me 2x 9800 GTS in SLI for 40 bucks but I don't even think that will preform well and I would rather throw 150-200 at a single card now and use it at a PHYX card in my new build.

Anyone have any suggestions? I want a cheap solution for a temp card.

Solution
Ask if he will let you try them out to see if they work in SLI on your comp. Don't forget to update drivers. If they are an improvement you can live with until April, I'd go with them. New GPU's are coming out by then and prices on current cards should drop it bit when that happens. By then, there will be lots of reviews on BF3 with various cards and you can go from there.

bucknutty

Distinguished
For 200 you could get a 6850 or a 6870. Those cards are not bad and would be a good option to transplant into your new pc in a year. The 9800gts are great cards but they are too dated to be effective. At 40 bucks they would be a huge upgrade over your current card but they would not really give great performance on new games.

The nvidia 560s are pretty sweet too.

Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Final budget depends on performance. 200 is the most I want to be around. If i can get card abc for 199 but the def is 220 and BLOWS away the abc... then I can spring the extra 20-30 bucks.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Ask if he will let you try them out to see if they work in SLI on your comp. Don't forget to update drivers. If they are an improvement you can live with until April, I'd go with them. New GPU's are coming out by then and prices on current cards should drop it bit when that happens. By then, there will be lots of reviews on BF3 with various cards and you can go from there.

Solution
first thing is the cards that "buddy" is offering are total crap!...... and will do nothing to help in your quest to p[lay BF3 with no effort. You say you're going to replace that machine early next year. Now's the time to make that significant upgrade in the graphics department that you can carry over to your next build. You may not want to hear it but you should seriously consider adding a little more money to your purchase and get a card that can truly handle the game.......... I'd get a card with at least 2gigs of vram on it and as fast as I dare afford. Some sites have payment plans over a 6 month or more period if you can't put more than $200 in. Food for thought.

Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Why would I get something like a 580 now when in April there should be news of a 680? Knowingly going into a obsolete purchase is not really what I'm looking for.

I just want something that will allow me to play BF3 without going crazy(30+ fps). Med-low graphics will do for now as I'm sure I have a dozen other bottlenecks. My current 8600 makes it nearly impossible to move let alone do anything productive in BF3.

I appreciate your response but I really don't think that is my best option.

Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
The reason for this post is to figure out if the SLI 9800 are worth the $40 bucks or if I should get another cheap card like a 6850 or a 460GTX and keep it in the new build as a PHYX driver.

Investing in some phenomenal graphics card when my rig is dated doesn't make sense when bigger and better is right around the corner.

This purchase now will not effect my future build budget.

I would hate to have a $500 physx driver in 6 months =-o

bucknutty

Distinguished
The why buy today when a new one will be out tomorrow line of rational is flawed. There will always be a better one tomorrow if you wait. But then you will be stuck with your 8600gt for the rest of your life unable to buy new for fear of being obsolete.

If the card plays the game and makes you happy then it is not obsolete. Get a good card today like a 6870 or 560 570 put it in the new computer next year and enjoy your game and stop thinking about it. Or try the 2 9800s and if they run the game at a level you enjoy then dont worry about the specs and benchmarks.

Stop trying to keep up with technology or the Jones’s and just have fun with your rig and your games.

PS this type of thinking also works well with houses, cars, and wives.