Please help me choose the right graphics card for myself.

Hi, I have an Intel quad core Q6600 2.4 GHz system with 4 gb of DDR2
ram, have a 24" LED display and a 500W psu. I am looking for a
graphics card which would be the most capable of playing the
latest games at max (or ultra) settings. Some of the cards that
I have looked up are ATI radeon hd6770, hd6850, hd6870,
nvidia gtx460 and the gtx 560.

1. I would not like to spend anything over INR 10,000 (Indian Rupees).

2. I want a card that gives the best bang for the buck.

3. I intend to upgrade my cpu and mobo in the near future
or atleast oc my cpu. Please keep this in mind while
suggesting.

4. I would like to use the card for the next 3- 4 years atleast.

Where I live, the ATI graphics cards seem to be cheaper than their
nvidia counterparts (according Tom's Hardware gpu hierarchy).

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html

So, please help me out cuz I am really confused and can't make
up my mind, though I think i am inclining towards th hd6870 :D .

But I would really like your advice.

Thanks. :)
21 answers Last reply
More about please choose graphics card myself
  1. If your upgrading the cpu in the future then i would go for the 6870/560/560Ti. The Ti version is offcourse most futureproof.
  2. Are you willing to spend Rs 2000-3000 more.Then you could have got an HD 6950.
  3. Hey Sayantan, I don't know about 2 3k more, I have a knack to be overly ambitious cuz i have already kinda upped my budget from 7 to 10k. I was going for the hd6770 but it kinda lost to gtx460 in benchmarks. Then I started thinking of the future, haha. That is why i thought of 6870.

The card should fulfil all the four criteria.
    Thanks though.
  4. robjordy, will the 6970 be future proof enough to serve satisfactorily for the next 4 yrs?
  5. Well i can be quite patient if it is required so i can very well wait for the 28nm GPU's.
    But don't you think they will be highly priced, atleast for the initial few months?
  6. What he says ^. ( i assume you meant the 6870 not the 6970 btw )
    Hd 6870 is a fine card. It will not be futureproof, but from the choices you mentioned the 6870 / 560 would be obviously more futureproof than the 6770/460.
  7. GTX560 gives you most bang for your bucks.It overclocks very well and you can get performance level close to 560ti.FYI the mid end budget cards won't be priced high as they will face competition from nVidia.So if you can wait for a few months it would be best.
  8. Quote:
    They will be, but by comparison, they will be cheaper/performance than the HD6ks and GT500s are today.
    eg. a HD7870 is set to replace the HD6870 in terms of pricing, but HD6970 in terms of performance,
    like how the HD5870 replaced the HD4890 as AMD's flagship in terms of performance and pricing

so, its like if i wait out the next few months, i cn get a card which will effectively give me 6970 worth of performance for 6870's price. So, if i can afford to spend 10000k why not wait a lil more and get something better in return. Right?
  9. sayantan said:
    GTX560 gives you most bang for your bucks.It overclocks very well and you can get performance level close to 560ti.FYI the mid end budget cards won't be priced high as they will face competition from nVidia.So if you can wait for a few months it would be best.

hmmm, I'll wait. start the countdown.
  10. Do not forget to consider the [actual] capabilities of your PSU. A quality 500W PSU would have no problem with a HD6870 or GTX560; a cheap generic might choke even on a HD6770. Please provide the specifics about your PSU (brand and model, not just wattage).
  11. viktre said:
    so, its like if i wait out the next few months, i cn get a card which will effectively give me 6970 worth of performance for 6870's price. So, if i can afford to spend 10000k why not wait a lil more and get something better in return. Right?

No I don't think so.They are not going to price them so cheap as nVidia won't be releasing their next gen gpus till q2/q3.As there won't be any competition from nvidia they would price the high end higher and replace their current mid end lineup with new gpus.So don't expect 6970 level performance for 10k.To be more realistic you could get a 6870 level performance for a little cheaper than the competition.
  12. well thank you guys for your help and yeah i am also going to buy a new psu and replace the one that came with the box, forgot to mention it. I am thinking of cooler master, getting some good deals for 500W (do not want to spend more than 3500k on this). I hope 500W is enough.
  13. guys, i think i should also tell you some of the current prices. i am getting a hd6770 for (INR) Rs. 6100, the hd 6870 for Rs. 9700, hd6850 for Rs. 8700. gtx 560's start at Rs. 11,500 (negotiable), gtx 460 768mb Rs. 9850 (nego.), gtx 460 1gb Rs. 12,000 (nego.), and should also mention gtx 550 ti which is at Rs. 8100 (nego.), this will give you an idea of performance/ price.

Also, lets assume i do not upgrade the cpu and stuff, say just overclock it to 3 ghz., then will it bottleneck the new card if say i buy one of the above or get the new 28nm?
  14. You haven't told us about your PSU yet. What is your current graphics card?
    On your budget, it looks like you'd be limited to the HD6870. Without knowing what your PSU is, I would not get that if your PSU has only one PCIE power cable. You could use an adapter, but if your PSU can't handle the load, it may die a violent death, taking other parts with it. If your PSU has NO PCIE power cables, even the HD6770 (with an adapter) might be too much for it.
  15. sorry for the delay, had to open up my cabinet.
    its a GSM Pro 500W.

right now its an intel onboard chip. till now i hadn't really got proactive on the graphics and gaming scene. I also work on 3d modelling softwares like pro e and catia.
  16. Quote:
    The PSU is ok for 1 card,

which psu r u talking about, the one i have right now?
    if some other, do u mind sending me a link.
  17. i should also start working soon, so i dun really noe how much will i be able to exploit the gpu. I'll probably be a casual gamer only, u know you gotta sitback and enjoy sometime jus to unwind and blah blah. But i want to get the best of what ever i can get, to put it simply.
  18. Quote:
    The Cooler Master Silent Pro 500watt you have,
    or im mistaking it for something else

oh no its not a cooler master, like i said GSM Pro 500W, is pretty much the generic sort. i think.

its something like this:

http://kdrcomputer.com/admin/pimages/612_102382_SMPS_pbilimage1.jpg

with additional sata ports.
  19. :non: :non: :non: THIS IS A CRAP :non: :non: :non:
    Recommended:XFX core edition 550,Corsair TX 550,Antec TP 550
  20. Looks like a generic to me too. If it has a PCIE power connector, it can probably handle a HD6770. If it doesn't, then a HD6670 is the strongest card you should buy. The previous generations of either (HD5770 and HD5670) would be similar. Coming from integrated video, even the HD5670 will be a dramatic improvement. You will likely be able to play most games with that, many with lower settings. If you want to play games with high settings, you will need to replace your PSU so you can power a stronger card.
    A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. FSP, OCZ, and PC Power & Cooling have some good models too. Coolermaster is generally a step above junk. Apevia, Diablotek, Logisys, and anything with "max" in its name that isn't Enermax IS junk.
  21. well, i have decided to buy after 2 3 months, after 28nm's have been introduced.
    thank you all.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics