Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anybody use their front 2.0 USB connectors?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 26, 2011 12:12:18 AM

I just tried hooking a gamepad up to my rig, and noticed that my front 2.0 USB connectors aren't working. I probably forgot to plug it back in when I jerked the motherboard to install my cooler and my new PSU and second GPU.

I still have 2 in the back that aren't being used, so I am thinking about saying to hell with it. Although, it is kinda nagging at me.

Do you use your front connectors?

More about : front usb connectors

December 26, 2011 1:47:25 AM

Why not. It is there for you to use.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2011 1:55:17 AM

The front USB connectors are the ones you use the most to connect memory sticks etc. Often though I have found that the front USB connectors are not fitted to the motherboard as sometimes they can be tricky to fit.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 26, 2011 4:05:35 AM

It is tricky. I did remember to connect my front panel audio.

I am thinking of saying to hell with it, but it is just nagging the hell out of me. My rig feels "undone". It is a mental thing, kind of an obsessive compulsive situation. But I really don't want to go fiddling through that rat's nest.

I was hoping someone would put my mind at ease and say, "I don't use them, I have them hooked up, but I never use them. You should be fine."
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 4:11:18 AM

A friend of mine don't use them, he had them hooked up, but he never use them. You should be fine. :D 
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 4:40:22 AM

Pyree said:
A friend of mine don't use them, he had them hooked up, but he never use them. You should be fine. :D 


For some reason, that doesn't that have the effect I was hoping for... :( 
m
0
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2011 5:02:38 AM

I use mine. In fact, on my computer cases without front panel USB connectors, I added drive bay expansion connectors.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 5:09:27 AM

jsc, you may just push PcGamer81 over the line. I think he is definitely going to open the case and connect the USB now.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 5:54:28 AM

:pfff:  And I was really hoping not to have to do that. The sad part is, I don't even need the blasted things. It is just driving me absolutely nuts to know that somewhere in that rat's nest is something that's not done right on my PC. I'm going to have to end up tearing it open and fight those cables just to quell my compulsion.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 6:05:04 AM

Just think of things like:

The world at war
Poverty across the globe
Corruption by your world leaders

Hope that distracts you enough to skip it bro!
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 6:56:28 AM

^lol...

aside from that...just do it :lol: 

i mean it'll take 5 min at the most :p 
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 9:29:56 AM

Alright, I'll do it. I will do it tomorrow.
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 12:37:51 AM

I know exactly how you feel. if something that is supposed to work, does not work, even if it does not effect anything it just makes the system feel less than complete.

I actually do use the front ports. it's ugly but it expands connectivity options. I have my desktop sideways along the wall, not on it's side. so the wires stay kind of out of sight. since all my USB ports in back are occupied I use the front ones for stuff to the other side of the PC or temp stuff. I have my printer hooked up to it. when I play a game with a USB controller i use the front ports. flash drive, front ports.

but still if you never intend to use them it's ok to leave it in it's current state. the lack of functionality is actually complimented by not having it hooked up. a sort of a "dead zone" if you will. plus less electricity, less system resource.

on the other hand I recently upgraded my PC and could not get the LED for the power button connected. it's personal weather you like it or not, but with the PC closed sometimes its the only way to tell if it's on. so I wound up leaving the side panel off, till "I'M done with it".

cheers, erly
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 3:19:14 AM

I use them regularly to charge my phone. In fact, I probably use that more than my wall charger lol.

Other than that, I have a few flash drives and one external hard drive that are handy for using with the front panel headers.
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 6:59:05 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Alright, I'll do it. I will do it tomorrow.

Well?
m
0
l
December 28, 2011 12:02:39 AM

moonzy said:
Well?


Nope, not yet. Haven't got around to it. I am having something else to drive me crazy for the moment (although I'll get back the USB topic later, I promise).

Sorry to change the subject all of a sudden, I know this is borderline against the rules, but...

I can't get over 40fps in Rage, and this is with the rig listed below. Something is not right here, and I wanna know what.

I have a little test I do in games I struggle with to see if it is the CPU that is the bottlenecking me...

I run fraps.

Well, I recorded with fraps and my frame rate crumbled down to 4.

4!!!

I checked and all 4 cores are going, turbo is kicking in and I am getting upwards of 4.20GHz, but for the life of me I am getting insane lag. I did start a thread about this, by the way.

Any help would so much be appreciated!
m
0
l
December 28, 2011 1:46:11 AM

Hmm. I dunno for sure what your issue is with lower performance is, BUT recently I decided to (and did) was to uninstall my AMD drivers with DriveSweeper in safe mode and reinstall them. From what I see performance is more stable.
I didn't delete my roaming folder file for AMD before reinstalling, but I still think there's a definite improvement.

And back to the original topic: Those front USB wires are quite flimsy and small. They could've been joggled loose. I also prefer my rear ports as the front ports get dustier quicker. But I don't stop other family members from using them.
I have a CM RC310. One of these days I'll make an air-tight seal for those ports.
Most carpeting is HORRIBLE for dust buildup.- It disintegrates into nastiness that you'll see with sunlight beaming into the room.

Good luck!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 3:07:49 PM

I'm a bit Ocd on cables myself, There is nothing in my Rigs I don't use so every cable that is there, is hidden,
if you use the usb ports, plug em in and invisify the cables as much as you want/can

if you don't use them, tidy the cable away somewhere or even remove the ports and throw in a drawer for 'safe keeping'
:) 
@Moonzy, GL with airtight plans man, Silicone sealant is a good option, can be messy if your not careful though :p 
Moto
m
0
l
December 28, 2011 8:02:56 PM

Hey, thanks a lot guys.

I will probably open it up and fix it today.

I took a flashlight and shined it through the clear plastic side panel on the side of my case, and I see that it is not plugged in. It is also very loose - I remember from the first time I did have it installed that it kept wiggling loose.

I am thinking about getting some tape and taping it.

This is driving me up the wall. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal to you guys, but my case is a rat's nest and I am dreading having to kill the power, unplug it, unscrew the 2 screws at the back (in which the cables will probably shoot out with such force that they will knock the panel through my wall), pull the panel if it hasn't flew off yet, fight the rat's nest, find the the little thin front panel wire, and plug it in.

Then, knowing how I think, I will probably be compelled to begin a cable management project (might as well since my case is open).

*sigh*
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 8:07:49 PM

dab of blue tac may hold it in place if you don't want to glue or tape it,
pics of before and after on the cables please? :) 
Moto
m
0
l
December 28, 2011 9:22:28 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
dab of blue tac may hold it in place if you don't want to glue or tape it,
pics of before and after on the cables please? :) 
Moto


You seem like a nice enough guy, so I will give you a pic.

Give me about 30 minutes, and I will be back...
m
0
l
December 28, 2011 10:15:13 PM

Alright, so here is the deal...

I went ahead and opened 'er up. And to my great shame, it was plugged in...the wrong place. It was plugged into a black port that had a bunch of letters and numbers...while the blue port that had USB written on it as clear as day was right next to it and where it needed to go.

I resisted the urge to begin a cable management campaign, but I did tidy things up a tad...

Here are the pics of my setup - running and closed, off and open, and in other various positions...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590856751/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590857461/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590857997/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590858779/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590859653/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590860225/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590861027/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590863951/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590864227/in...

And now for the rat's nest...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590863765/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590863075/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590861711/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71025255@N06/6590862361/in...


m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 11:02:33 PM

No probs man, I try to be as much help as I can, nice to be appreciated,
The before/after pics are to show others the difference though, they can see what moving a couple of cables does for the look of a rig :-)
*edit, I can't make the interior out too well there, maybe my eyes though :-p try using flash or a better lit room for pics, we'll come up with a plan of attack for when your ready to clean them up
Moto
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 12:06:41 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
No probs man, I try to be as much help as I can, nice to be appreciated,
The before/after pics are to show others the difference though, they can see what moving a couple of cables does for the look of a rig :-)
*edit, I can't make the interior out too well there, maybe my eyes though :-p try using flash or a better lit room for pics, we'll come up with a plan of attack for when your ready to clean them up
Moto


Sounds good, man. I will light the room up a little better and take a picture with the panel completely removed...

Give me about 30 minutes.
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 12:40:04 AM
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 2:34:17 AM

/has seizure at cable hell
Moto
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 2:59:11 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
/has seizure at cable hell
Moto


Come on, it's not that bad...

Is it?
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 3:01:10 AM

5000 posts...your next post will be the milestone.

Congrats.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 3:08:31 AM

I'm only looking on my phone but yes, thats quite bad in my book
:-)
Check the galleries in homebuild and overclocking (watercooling builds) for some ideas of how it can look, I'll post lnks once I'm back at the Pc,
Thanks for the gratx, five thousand? Wow, I must be on here too much lol
Moto
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 3:17:50 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I'm only looking on my phone but yes, thats quite bad in my book
:-)
Check the galleries in homebuild and overclocking (watercooling builds) for some ideas of how it can look, I'll post lnks once I'm back at the Pc,
Thanks for the gratx, five thousand? Wow, I must be on here too much lol
Moto


Thanks, I am open to all kinds of suggestions.

I think my major problem is my case - it is just so tiny. I have a big aftermarket CPU cooler and two GPUs and a massive PSU with cables everywhere... ... ...I need a new case, that's what I need. The Cooler Master Elite 430 is a budget case for a budget rig...not for what I got.
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 3:44:29 AM

erly_Cuylers said:
I know exactly how you feel. if something that is supposed to work, does not work, even if it does not effect anything it just makes the system feel less than complete.

I actually do use the front ports. it's ugly but it expands connectivity options. I have my desktop sideways along the wall, not on it's side. so the wires stay kind of out of sight. since all my USB ports in back are occupied I use the front ones for stuff to the other side of the PC or temp stuff. I have my printer hooked up to it. when I play a game with a USB controller i use the front ports. flash drive, front ports.

but still if you never intend to use them it's ok to leave it in it's current state. the lack of functionality is actually complimented by not having it hooked up. a sort of a "dead zone" if you will. plus less electricity, less system resource.

on the other hand I recently upgraded my PC and could not get the LED for the power button connected. it's personal weather you like it or not, but with the PC closed sometimes its the only way to tell if it's on. so I wound up leaving the side panel off, till "I'M done with it".

cheers, erly


Thanks for the post...

I absolutely LOVE your avatar, by the way.
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 4:03:37 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
It is possible to do good management in a Cm430, it just takes time, planning, patience and lots of it hehe, but I think theres more than one in the gallery http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/310222-13-hardware-...
I actually do want to do a 430 build just for the challenge of it
Moto



I strongly advise you against a CME430 build. This case is one of the flimsiest, cheapest cases on the market. I can grab it and squeeze and it feels like a tin/plastic piece of
s**t. It is very small - so very small. Yes, you will be challenged, all right. Challenged like you would be trying to max Crysis with a 3870 - not a good challenge...but rather an unfair, unfun, and impossible challenge, lol.

I must have been smoking crack to ever choose that case in the first place. I was trying to get the best CPU and GPU I could get for what money I had, and when I got all the pieces that night and started to assemble it, I paid for it, and I paid dearly. I have been paying ever since.

The Cooler Master Elite 430 is cheapest, most budget, low-end, rickety piece of s**t to ever come out of the a**e of newegg.

Friend, I advise you to pass on that "challenge".
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 5:14:21 AM

Hehe, I hear all the bad things on here about them, that why I want to do it lol
this is my Girlfriends build in a cheap case, was only my second full build too
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/287494-13-again

So I'm familiar with p.o.s. cases lol, I just fancy doing it as a 'see, it CAN be done' kind of thing
Moto
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 6:41:02 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Hehe, I hear all the bad things on here about them, that why I want to do it lol
this is my Girlfriends build in a cheap case, was only my second full build too
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/287494-13-again

So I'm familiar with p.o.s. cases lol, I just fancy doing it as a 'see, it CAN be done' kind of thing
Moto


Hey, that was a pretty good build. Especially for a second build, that is impressive.

Hey, if you think you can handle it, by all means go for it. I do warn you, though, it is a headache - and it is not fun.

But maybe you can pull a miracle and make it work!
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 6:44:16 AM

I was also checking out your first build, and I really like the case you used for that build.

Also, very impressive.

But if you do decide to tackle the CME430, be sure and pack a lunch, you will be at it for a while.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 7:37:16 AM

As and when I get around to it, I reckon I;ll be ok hehe, check my current baby out though, this was a serious attempt at a W/c rig to sell :p 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/311860-13-next
oh and I'm planning more for it already as it hasn't sold haha
Moto
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 10:41:43 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
As and when I get around to it, I reckon I;ll be ok hehe, check my current baby out though, this was a serious attempt at a W/c rig to sell :p 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/311860-13-next
oh and I'm planning more for it already as it hasn't sold haha
Moto


Very nice.

I am a tad curious as to why you seem to stick with AMD for your CPU's rather than Intel.

Knowing you, perhaps you enjoy the challenge of overclocking the hell out of them to make up the difference, eh? :na: 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 3:48:26 PM

Not really a conscious choice, my first build was Amd and I've kinda stuck with them,
if I'd known the way BD was going to go I would have gone for a 2500k build but hey, such is life hehe
I'm fairly new to Pc building and clocking (two years ish), I got 3.5GHz out of my first build, x3 435 and unlocked it to a quad fairly easily so that opened my mind up to pursuing it more but its kind of wierd to explain,
I 'see' something and then have to find ways to create it in real life,
I saw the Dragon rider case on here and my brain must have subconsciously built it,
all the way through the build I was getting deja vu, I can remember someone showing me round the Pc (like I'd gone to a mates and he was showing me his new comp) pointing out bits and built it 'as I remembered it'
but the T-virus resses were something I hadn't even seen at that point, I just 'saw' these blue tubes on top of the Pc
Sounds really wierd I know but its the only way I can explain it to someone else lol
Moto
m
0
l
December 30, 2011 3:37:51 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Not really a conscious choice, my first build was Amd and I've kinda stuck with them,
if I'd known the way BD was going to go I would have gone for a 2500k build but hey, such is life hehe
I'm fairly new to Pc building and clocking (two years ish), I got 3.5GHz out of my first build, x3 435 and unlocked it to a quad fairly easily so that opened my mind up to pursuing it more but its kind of wierd to explain,
I 'see' something and then have to find ways to create it in real life,
I saw the Dragon rider case on here and my brain must have subconsciously built it,
all the way through the build I was getting deja vu, I can remember someone showing me round the Pc (like I'd gone to a mates and he was showing me his new comp) pointing out bits and built it 'as I remembered it'
but the T-virus resses were something I hadn't even seen at that point, I just 'saw' these blue tubes on top of the Pc
Sounds really wierd I know but its the only way I can explain it to someone else lol
Moto


No, man. I understand perfectly well where you are coming from.

I have always been an Intel over AMD, AMD over Nvidia kind of guy. I guess there are a lot of factors as to why that is.

I think you have a bright future in computer technology.
m
0
l
!