2 cinema displays on a pc

joshuawk

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Ok so Im working on a new "dream" setup of mine, I want to use 2 apple cinema displays on a pc (I think its the best looking monitor for style and image, dont judge my choice). I know I can only setup the displays to my pc with either a $100+ adapator or with a graphics card that supports display port/mini display port. However this is where my questions begins, I want to use NVIDA only (no ATI), the NVIDIA cards that I have looked at dont have 2 mini display ports (just one), I am also interested in purchasing 2 cards for a SLI setup. So... How would I setup 2 cinema displays (with 2 mini display cables) to 2 cards that only support 1 mini display port each. Will I have to run both cards independently and not via SLI (so that each monitor connects to one card)? Or do I have another solution via SLI?

PS: Please dont state the obvious, I know one card can support multiple displays but its usualy via DVI (since most cards have 2 or 3 DVI outputs), but since im stuck using a mini display port I dont think I can connect 2 mini display ports to 1 card that only has 1 mini display output (not sure if a adaptor exists to split into 2 without loosing quality etc).

joshuawk

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
You are going to use AMD Radeon GPUs if you want display port output,
nvidia is so far, not really display port friendly,

besides with AMD GPUs, u can get 3 screens with one card.
and at 100USD, AMD Graphics Cards usually have 2* mini display port outputs

Thanks Greg for the reply, I see that you stated that "nvidia is so far, not really display port friendly" however it doesnt make much sense to me, many NVIDIA cards are display (or mini display) port compatible like the one I plan to buy , either it is compatible or its not, also as noted in my original request I plan to go with NVIDIA, (dont ask why because I could go on and on but I want NVIDA and not AMD Radeon).

I think Im safe with 2 video cards that support the mini display connection non-SLI, just looking for other thoughts, I appreceate the suggestion so far.

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

joshuawk

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply once again. I did mention in my original post that I knew I could use a adaptor, I actualy was thinking of using this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815524014, however all forums that ive read mention that it was a bad idea because of problems with resoltuions, grainy images and just plain unreliable service, also for over $100 for an adator I dont think thats a way to go (especialy since if I am buying 2 video cards that have 1 mini display por each I should have to buy anything extra) . Like I said I think I can use 2 graphics cards that have 1 display port out to each monitor, I just need someone to confirm that this will work. I understand that since Windows 7 come out it is possible to have 2 video cards that work simultaniously (not-SLI) and have 1 montior work on each.

Ps: Even the first link you gave me for a DVI-D converter that apple makes has terrible reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Display...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

joshuawk

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Well I do heavy gamming like with the new battlefield 3, crysis 2 etc and plan on always using the max graphics. Also when you are setting up the "dream" system why would you cut back on cost? Not really and issue for me.

I prefer NVIDIA because of the following, its the only brand to run physix, its by far the most compatible card with games and programs right now (all the bells and wistles), I regularly use the digital vibrance tool only available on NVIDIA and lastly I only buy cards from EVGA and they only make NVIDIA cards (again id prefer not to explain why this is the case).

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
If you are going to run the games at Max resolution on the 30" display then I would recomend getting 2 580s. These would give you great performance in these games. If you want to spend the extra though on the 590s then you would see a difference at the ultra setting. There was a good article today that they posted for the BF3 setting with different cards.

nvidia%20sli%202560.png

Either card will let you play them at max settings with Ultra Quality, one setup would be a lot less though.

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

He is setting up a "Dream machine". If he wants to run those games at the highest resolution then he would be way better getting a SLi 580/590 setup. These setups will allow him to then play games at Ultra settings at the Highest Resolution that is currently available.

The dual 560 Ti setup would be cheaper but it would only give him the performance of a single 580, this would not get him performance close to a single 590. A single 590 is closer to a dual 570-580 setup because it is basically two 580s on a single card.

joshuawk

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
As much as I appreceate all the info and opinions I feel that the topic is veering away from the original post. The new cinema displays (not the thunderbolt) (PS: they only come in 27 inches now) use a mini display port. Many ATI Radeon cards support 2 mini display ports, however I want to use a NVIDIA card, even the 590's only have 1 mini display out per card, yet I want to use 2 of these displays. I already know I can use a adaptor from DVI to mini display port like the Atlona model, but I dont want to, due to bad reviews and just unreliable performance. I think my solution right now is to buy 2 590's and to not SLI them, then each monitor can connect to 1 card each. I am pretty sure this is possible but would hate to go through all the trouble and find out its a bust. So can anyone confirm?

Just to add insult to injury I wonder If I bought 4 590's and SLI 2 cards each (in other words not SLI all 4 together but instead SLI just 2 cards separate to the other 2 cards). Then run each motnior on 2 SLI cards each. If I am confusing readers i appologize, its hard to explain without a chart of some sort.

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Yes you should be able to use the Display ports on both of the cards. This is basically how their surround gaming works, they need 2 cards Sli because they need to have enough video outs. You should be able to SLi them still and use both of the outs. If you do not want to SLI the cards then you should get a 590 and a smaller card that has the Display out, no use is spending money on a card that will not use the full potential of the card. In a situation like this you can get a 590 and even a 520 that has a display out, the second card in this situation is only going to be providing the second display with the desktop and not be used for games, it is basically there to give you another video out.

If you get the same series of cards or even the same brand of cards this should work with letting you get the other card to use as the display port out as both cards would use the same driver.

Either situation will work for the setup that you want. The SLI setup would give you a better graphics for gaming and the secondary card setup would give you a cheaper cost, both get the same end result and would work just fine.

Is that a better explanation of what you wanted?

joshuawk

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Yes this is exacly what I was wanting to know. I understand now that even when 2 or more cards are in SLI you can still connect monitors to each card instead of to only 1 card. I also researched the surround system and now Im contemplating on getting 3x 590's and 3x cinema displays. Does the surround still work if you only have 2 displays? All videos ive seen out there for surround always use 3 displays (I guess I understand why: if you had lets say a shooting game and used surroud on 2 displays then the crossair would be on the corner of each display and would suck). Also for surround to work you must use the same card brand and the same monitors, even if 2 different monitors have the same refresh rate and resoltuion it wont work. Thats what ive learned so far. Thanks for the help.