My psu only has one 6 pin + 2 pci connector

Hello, I am doing my first pc build and i think i might have a problem... I have a 700W PSU which only has one 6 pin + 2 pci connector. I intend to run a hd 7970 and know that it requires a 8 and a 6 pin. I've heard that its possible to connect two 4 pin molex cables to an adapter which sends it to a 6 pin pci connector. Using the PSU pci connector and the 2Xmolex to 6 pin, will it be possible to run my 7970 at full power?
12 answers Last reply
More about connector
  1. No problem, the molex to PCI adapter were made for that and the power needed for PCI-e
  2. Thanks a lot.
  3. A 700W PSU with only one PCIe connector sounds a bit fishy to me. What is the make and model of the 700W PSU you have?
  4. +1 on fishy
  5. Silvune said:
    A 700W PSU with only one PCIe connector sounds a bit fishy to me. What is the make and model of the 700W PSU you have?

Huntkey max 700 W apfc
  6. Ditch it, I can only find bad comments and reviews from testers show them to be less than solid choices,
    if you have the cash for a 7970 you have the cash to get a reliable Psu to power it
    Moto
  7. JesseRyan said:
    Huntkey max 700 W apfc

Highly recommend upgrading your PSU to a good quality mfr. AMD recommneds a minimum 500W PSU with (1) 8-pin and (1) 6-pin power connectors. Quality PSU mfrs: Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec...there are more but this is a good short list. Please see the two links in my signature a list of recommended PSUs and a PSU guide.
  8. your Sig's not showing Rugger, :)
    Moto
  9. Motopsychojdn said:
    your Sig's not showing Rugger, :)
    Moto

DOH!
  10. Motopsychojdn said:
    your Sig's not showing Rugger, :)
    Moto

Odd...Display signature was selected but apply signature wasn't. Now both are...is it visible?
  11. It is now yes, sometimes Toms goes funny on Sigs :)
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies PCI Build Components