Best insulator for mother board on home-made system

lebrownjames

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hello,

I recently moved across country and rather than trying to pack my tower into a box I stripped the necessary parts and brought those only. I've placed the MOAB on a wooden surface. The homemade setup I have tried doing is creating a rectangular prism with wood, lieing length wise there are 3 faces made of wood, and one left open which will be occupied by my motherboard (lieing on top of the structure, serving as it's top face). The rest of the rectangular prism is left open so you can see through it, much like a tunnel. I have put 4 nails into the wood that correspond with the holes in the motherboard, they are very thin nails and do not damage the moab in the least in case you were wondering. My question is, should I put something underneath the moab to protect it from the wood ? If so ... what ? Which insulator would you recommend. I was thinking of putting some synthetic rubber (eraser) to elevate it off the wood... do you think this will do the job ?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Use some plastic sheet salvaged from packaging; something a little firm, about 0.5mm thick.

The motherboard will get slightly hot in use; keep this in mind when you select your insulation. My recommendation is to use motherboard mounting stand-offs because you need some space under the motherboard to allow for some air flow.

Look here for some ideas: http://www.fascomp.com/

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

I feel an anti-static bag wrapped around bubble wrap would have a better effect.

lebrownjames

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I have also heard negative things about ant-static bags. By the way, thank you for all the quick and great responses. What would you say to the use of rubber, plastic or styrofoam as a barrier between the wood and MOAB ? I'm currently running on a low budget and I'm trying to keep everything low budget.

Thanks in advance.

lebrownjames

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

What would you consider as a worthy replacement for a standoff ? As I asked earlier I was wondering if synthetic rubber (basically any insulator) could do the same job. Thanks for taking time to reply to my question, it is much appreciated.

Use some plastic sheet salvaged from packaging; something a little firm, about 0.5mm thick.

The motherboard will get slightly hot in use; keep this in mind when you select your insulation. My recommendation is to use motherboard mounting stand-offs because you need some space under the motherboard to allow for some air flow.

Look here for some ideas: http://www.fascomp.com/

Solution