SAMSUNG 30nm 1600 vs G.SKILL 1600mhz problem?? what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
hey guys,
ill make this quick and to the point:

Been using G.SKILL ripjaws 2gb x 4 (8gb) 1600mhz 9 9 9 24 1.5v at stock settings / voltages. today i went and got the samsung 30nm low voltage/low profile ram...i need to know if this is somehow not reflective of the performance im actually getting:

my windows experience index rates the g.skill at 7.8 if i have it at 2t and 7.9 if i put it at 1t. this is at 1600mhz stock everything

the samsung ram is rated at 7.7...even when overclocked up to 2133. i've lowered the timings all the way down to 8 8 8 22 / 1t @ 1866 successfully..still 7.7.

is the WEI somehow not reflective of which one is actually the faster RAM??? or what is going on? G.SKILL is just better? bceause i've heard so much and read SO MUCH awesome stuff about this samsung ram as far as performance is concerned...and I hate to sound like a newbie or a nit picker but im disappointed at the WEI score lol...someoen pls tell me i dont need to worry or that it doesnt mean it's better ... :/

Solution
Yes, you kind of walked into that one and set yourself up...hahaa!
I'm sure you just meant that based on the feedback you've heard about the Samsung RAM you expected the WEI results to show a difference.

I really don't think the WEI is specific enough to tell the difference between Brand A and Brand B running at the same speed, which is why most people dismiss it entirely as an accurate representation of your system. For example, my tower is no sloth by any means and is rated at 6.5 and you can see my specs in my signature.

Now that I'm done busting your chops.....
You notice that when looking up comparison specs you see a lot of names of benchmark software. That's the way to go for looking at actual performance variance between...

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Sorry, but this is extremely nit-picky.
Why do you care how the WEI rates your RAM?
Use a benchmark program, not WEI, to really see how your system rates.

Some motherboards have issues with different brands/types of RAM. Do you have them matched in dual channel? Why mixing regular with low voltage/low profile?

I just looked at the WEI since I also have the Ripjaws in my system (DDR3-1600) and it's rated at 7.8 also.

Not really sure what you're looking for here.

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
im not mixing the 2 types of ram together in one system. i took out a g.skill kit to replace with the low voltage samsung because i have read and gotten recommendations from several users who rate samsungs performance above the ripjaws 1600 with lower voltage and temperatures. so my question is basically, is the WEI accurate whatsoever in gauging actual component (specifically, RAM) performance as compared to other brands of the same type of component when replaced in an identical system

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
and yeah i just re read my post and id probably tell myself to stfu ..when i typed the phrase "im disappointed in my wei score" i didnt realize how that sounded out loud ..hahaha ...i want to edit that line but if im gonna say somethin that dumb i deserve to suffer . i should have rephrased it

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Yes, you kind of walked into that one and set yourself up...hahaa!
I'm sure you just meant that based on the feedback you've heard about the Samsung RAM you expected the WEI results to show a difference.

I really don't think the WEI is specific enough to tell the difference between Brand A and Brand B running at the same speed, which is why most people dismiss it entirely as an accurate representation of your system. For example, my tower is no sloth by any means and is rated at 6.5 and you can see my specs in my signature.

Now that I'm done busting your chops.....
You notice that when looking up comparison specs you see a lot of names of benchmark software. That's the way to go for looking at actual performance variance between different components.

Try this...
http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm
Test it out on both kinds of RAM and see the actual performance differences (not what WEI rates them at).

Solution

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Just FYI, you can run RAM only tests by going to the Tests menu on the main window and selecting Memory -> All and you'll have results pretty fast.......it will show your RAM rated against a number of others and yours will say "this system"...write down those scores for the GSkill, then do it for the Samsung and you'll get a much clearer picture of which RAM out performs the other.

However, you mentioned OC'ing your Samsung RAM and unless you're doing that with Ripjaws it's not giving you an apples to apples comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.