F#!$ing illogical logical drives!!

riser

Illustrious
Ok, I got my hands on a Fujitsu MPD3084 8gb HDD that was used for Windows NT OS and have whacked it into my sytem as d: It still had a copy of NT on it, so I fdisked it straight off. It had a 4gb PRI DOS partition and a 4gb EXT DOS partition. The 4gb PRI DOS partition was removed without a fuss. Then, I tried to remove the EXT DOS partition and whoops! - "cannot delete EXT DOS partition while logical drives exist". Np, I attempt to delete logical drives from EXT DOS partition doh! - "No logical drives defined." Ok, how about creating a logical drive in the EXT DOS partition and then deleting it and see what happens? WHAT!? "All available space in EXT DOS partitions is assigned to logical drives" BUT, but you just said....
Aaaargggh! I want my C64 baaack! So I have readded a 4gb PRI DOS partition and am currently stuck with a 4gb HDD with 4gb of EXT DOS wastage!
Serenity Now! Serenity Now!
All help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Riser

G

Do you have Win NT4 or Win2K on CD? If so, boot from the CD, let NT do it hardware thing at startup from the CD, and when it get to the point about the hard disk and partitions, just delete the partitions from thier, it will let you do anything to the drive. Win2k would be better, that way you could at least create FAT32 partitions and not just FAT16 or NTFS.

G

you can use a little program called slate that takes everything, and I mean everything off your hdd, last time I slated a hdd it even removed a bad sector

G

Another thing is the Hard Disk Utility from the manufacturer of the drive. Almost all of these utilities will do a complete read and write test by writing zero's across the entire drive, wiping out all information contained on the drive.

G

Using fdisk, you have to select "delete non-dos partition" from the main menu to delete an NTFS partition (or any other, like ext2).

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

G

I've had this problem before. I booted off a Mandrake CD and used the partition thing from that. Worked fine for me.
Chiggs

--
Black holes really suck...