Help! upgrading dell xps

petelupo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Sorry if this question is obvious to most but im quite new to pc upgrades.

I'm currently upgrading my Dell xps 420.

The spec is as follows.

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 2.40GHz

Windows vista - 32 bit

Nvidia geforce 9800 GT

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xps420/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm

The only thing i have upgraded so far is my ram from 4gb to 8gb which has worked fine as far as i can tell.

I have just bought a new graphics card the Asus, Geforce gtx 560 ti , 1gb .

The problem which i have come across is my psu (a 375w) is not power full enough to support my new graphics card (the box says at least 550w), im sure plugging in a new 750 is fairly easy but i have two problems with this.

My new graphics card looks to be powered by two of the 6 pin slots and as far as i can see most psu's have one of these. (could be the pci slot im refering to ?)

Also I have see elsewhere online my case is a btx? will this make a difference to the psu i can buy?
For example would this one work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/quiet-Straight-Power-BQT-E6-700W/dp/B000ION42O/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1319739422&sr=1-6

Any help would be great

Thanks

Peter

Hello... One thing you should know is that any 32-bit operating system can only access 4 gb of memory... you need 64-bit for full software use of your 8 gb.

You can get molex adaptors for your 6-pin video connectors... I use 2 of them just fine with my older COOLMASTER 375 watt powersupply... and a GTX460.

Depending on the Power Supply/MFG'r/ and other installed hardware you could be trying/using that VIDEO CARD right now with your current system... Depending on what settings you are using in games, will determine how much power your card will use.

I'm a SC2 gamer at 1080P... and was worried about the Minimum power requirements... and a power supply upgrade... So far after one year I have had no problems... Keep in mind too, be sure you never let your Case/power supply temps get too high... Cooling is important to the life all electrical components.

To be sure about a Power Supply fit... measure the mounting holes locations in mm and total clearance you have for new... outside dimensions of the powersupply... and you can find all CAD/data sheets on websites of Main MFG'r of Power supplys.

Also Wikipedia Powersupply types and you find other important information there about connector types and dimensions.

petelupo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Ok thanks for your help!
How do I get 64 bit is it a free download or do you have to buy it? Im not sure if I have. All my original windows setup discs and stuff.
Should I get vista 64 bit or windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks