Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Advice on buying gtx 560

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2011 7:10:17 PM

looking to upgrade my gpu from a radeon 5450 to a gtx 560. Need to know if i need to consider anything before buying. Already i know that my psu isn't enough. It's a powerlogic 450w psu. I have a intel DH61WW motherboard with an i3 2100. 2gb ram. 19" crt monitor (will upgrade soon). Will there be bottlenecking or connectivity/ compatibility issues? I'm going to buy an axle gtx 560 and an axle twister 500w as psu.

More about : advice buying gtx 560

October 27, 2011 7:19:46 PM

any particular reason? I have been assured that it is very good though. And it comes with a very affordable price. However i have never known any1 who has used an axle product before. Assuming it is a quality psu, can it support my pc? With a little oc'ing? Not required though.
Score
Related resources
October 27, 2011 7:24:55 PM

Quote:
The axle psu i will not trust at all.

never heard of the brand!
Score
October 27, 2011 7:39:44 PM

yes i hear that a lot. I hardly think axle is popular in us or europe since i hear its mostly marketed in china and other asian regions. Thanks for the corsair suggestion but i doubt i'll find that (or if it'd be cheaper) here guys (i'm in sri lanka btw). My main problem is not the psu. Will my other hardware handle the gpu? Esp the motherboard n cpu? No bottlenecks or anything?
Score
October 27, 2011 7:45:35 PM

cpu will handle it and i think mobo will handle it but what retailer do you use?
Score
October 27, 2011 7:48:13 PM

retailer?
Score
October 27, 2011 8:12:08 PM

online store? where do you buy you stuff so i have prices
Score
October 27, 2011 10:21:54 PM

assassinsat said:
yes i hear that a lot. I hardly think axle is popular in us or europe since i hear its mostly marketed in china and other asian regions. Thanks for the corsair suggestion but i doubt i'll find that (or if it'd be cheaper) here guys (i'm in sri lanka btw). My main problem is not the psu. Will my other hardware handle the gpu? Esp the motherboard n cpu? No bottlenecks or anything?

I'm in India, so i figure if you're in a city you should find Corsair or Cooler Master, and both make pretty decent PSUs. They most certainly won't be cheaper if Sri Lanka's customs and duties are like India's...so expect something around 6700 to 8900 Sri Lankan Rupees (approx. 3000-4000 INR) for something like a Corsair GS600 or a Cooler Master GX550. Avoid the corsair CX- series, they're not really built for tropical climates.

Believe us, your main problem IS your PSU, your other hardware is all current-gen and fine. No bottlenecks.

But Axle...i really don't know...sounds like a cheap chinese brand. check the 12V amperage (total 12V wattage divided by 12), if it's over 35 you should be good, though i dunno...couldn't recommend Axle.

Stick with a 500W + PSU from Corsair/Antec/Cooler Master, IMO.

P.S. I've been on the lookout for a 560 too, and found MSI to be great value (cool and quiet). ASUS and EVGA are good too.
Links:
http://www.theitwares.com/n560gtxm2d1gd5-geforce-fermi-...
http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asus+GeForce+GTX560+1...(ENGTX560-DC-2DI-1GD5)_C45P11898.html
http://www.ebay.in/itm/NVIDIA-GEFORCE-GTX560-SUPER-CLOC...

First shop is in Mumbai, second in Chennai and the third is ebay india. Was just to give you an indicator of prices. Much cheaper in the US if you can get it from there, check for international warranty support if you do.
Score
October 28, 2011 4:23:02 AM

Thanks for the advice guys,

tricksta555 said:
online store? where do you buy you stuff so i have prices

wasn't thinking of an online store. was going to buy from a local shop since i'm not sure how to claim warranty if something happens.

Quote:
They most certainly won't be cheaper if Sri Lanka's customs and duties are like India's

don't remind me of customs. the prices here are enough to make me sick. so i don't expect corsairs to be cheap. the only other psu models i've seen so far are seasonic and silverstone. are they better? doesn't make a difference though since they cost almost double the axle's price. can't afford it.

this is the product. i really didn't get the 12V divided by 12 thingy. how exactly do i do it?
http://www.axle3d.com/eng/productspec.php?id=12

the prices of the stuff you listed are cool. but when converted to SLR I think it comes close to what i have here. and even if i get one with an international warranty how can i claim it? And buying asus or evga from a local shop is out of the question. i'll be broke for months to come. the axle gtx 560 comes with a 2 year warranty and gaming dudes here recommend it highly. what's the problem with buying from an unknown brand btw? the design is still nvidia's no matter what the other stuff are right?
Score
October 28, 2011 9:45:25 PM

I know, prices are too high...seasonic PSUs are solid though...don't know about silverstone. Axle...the only problem is, axle shouldn't end up supplying unstable power to your system...that'll damage much more expensive components...FSP PSUs are usually cheaper than the others...

Well, see basically you see that the PSU has voltages and amperes written on it right? the GPU uses the 12V connections (or "rails"). so you should see how many amperes the 12V can supply. Only way to do that is divide the total power supplied on the 12V rail (or rails, if there are more than one, as in this case) by 12.

Basic reason for this is that power=voltage x current (P=VI). If you knew that then don't kill me, lol.

So we want to know I, so I=P/V.

Adding up the amperages on the individual rails will not give you the correct total. so 16A+16A will not equal 32A unless that PSU provides 384W on the 12V. This info is not supplied for that PSU, so there's no use.

If you have international warranty, then you send it to the manufacturer's service centre or office. Send them a mail for the exact process. But do remember you'll be paying for shipping too, international shipping when you order it, plus you'll have to ship it back to wherever if it's faulty/fails.

Ok now for your last question.

First of all, MSI, Gigabyte, PoV, Sparkle (i know, lame name), Galaxy, and Palit all make pretty decent cards as well.

Problem with lesser know or unknown companies is, put simply, support, performance and reliability. Quality too.

I have a Leadtek card, it works, overclocks decently (Tom's had better luck with overclocking a 9600GT though) too. But the cooler is noisy (probably dust) and runs on the hotter side (again, dust must be the culprit). Support on the website is also crappy.

However, that said, Leadtek and Gainward are still known companies, so at least you know they have experience.

But if you say that the gamer dudes in your area swear by it, then i guess it's fine, at least someone has tested it. You're right, the chipset is Nvidia's, but the the implementation is Axle's, and the final outcome will be largely Axle's responsibility. The cooling solution and quality of the components may vary.
If it has a 2 year warranty, however, and you're sure you can claim it (warranty) with relative ease, then why not. After all, it's not like EVGA cards never fail.

Same set of arguments is valid for the PSU too. However, only point of concern is that if the PSU is messed up, it may damage the rest of your hardware too. i had a iBall PSU, it started making noise after over a year in use, then finally failed. Didn't do any obvious harm, but i replaced it with a cooler master just to be safe. It's been about six months since and have had no problems with this one.
Score
October 29, 2011 3:00:22 PM

So there is absolutely no way for us to tell whether this psu is reliable? what is meant by unstable power btw? and is my current powerlogic delivering unstable power? i know its not enough since the pc shuts down when i tried to OC my 5450.

No use trying for intl. warranty. i'll be too bored to do all that anyway. and shipping might be beyond my price range. and to give you an idea how great it is here in SL to buy electronics, I have NOT heard of PoV, Sparkle, Galaxy or Palit. We do have an occassionaly MSI. We have Gigabyte, Asus and EVGA. But they are well over my price range.

Guess my only option is to perform a leap of faith and get the axle. seeing the stuff i used so far, it can't be that bad. if it works well for at least a year :)  that's all i need. It says its 75% efficient. If so will I be able to do some OC'ing? It says it also has 2 pci-e power connectors. whats that for?

And also I heard that the axle GPU comes with an arctic cooling system. Any idea on that?
Score
October 29, 2011 9:50:46 PM

"unstable power" is basically fluctuating power. the PSU supplies 12V, 5V and 3V to your mobo, and it can't go outside a certain range with them. it should be able to regulate the power, voltage and current that is supplied to mobo.

you can look in the BIOS settings, there should be some kind of hardware monitoring thing there.

i know, warranties can be annoying. we don't have a lot of variety here either, except MSI, Leadtek, Zotac (forgot about it), Gigabyte, EVGA and Sapphire (forgot them too), the rest are pretty new here.

Which is kind of sad, seeing that a lot of the electronics companies are Asian.

75% efficiency wont affect overclocking, it basically means that 75% of your input AC power (drawn from the mains) will be converted into DC power for the comp to use. The remaining 25% is lost as heat, noise, etc.

This does not mean, however, that a 100W PSU (for eg) will only provide 75W if it is 75% efficient, it means that a 100W PSU will provide 100W but consume 133.33W of AC power to produce those 100W.

Efficiency= (DC/AC) x 100

The two PCIe connectors are to power your GPU. You'll need them for the 560.

I'm not really sure what that means, Arctic Cooling is a brand that sells cooling products for PCs. Now, from what you're telling me, it seems like the GPU cooler (the big fan and heatsink that sit on top of the actual GPU on the card) is made by Arctic...OR they simply call it an "arctic cooling system" to imply that it's very good. lol.

All in all, i guess you may have to take a leap of faith...or check someone's axle psu to see if they get clean, stable power. see if you can find any online reviews.

Quote:
this is the product. i really didn't get the 12V divided by 12 thingy. how exactly do i do it?
http://www.axle3d.com/eng/productspec.php?id=12

This was a blank link BTW. It's supposed to be Text here[\URL]
except put a / in place of the \. If i did that here, the result would have been :
Text herecheck out this Axle PSU!....and it would work perfect :) 

Or just post the direct link like: http://www.axle3d.com/eng/productspec.php?id=12" target="_blank">

So to make things look cool (and tidy), you could say: check out this Axle PSU!....and it would work perfect :) 

Or just post the direct link like: http://www.axle3d.com/eng/productspec.php?id=12
Score
October 30, 2011 4:19:23 AM

yea sad it is. but i think its not the companies fault atm. if india or sri lanka had better customs and duties and taxes wtever they would be more inclined to set up shop here. the only people to do that are asus and from their prices i can see how its going for them.

please forgive my lame hardware knowledge and enlighten me in how to find that instability. coz i checked in the bios and the values remain mostly the same. maybe they change when i work, play games etc. but i can't monitor the bios then. maybe if the axle psu is unstable and if i can find out after i get it, i can return it and save money for a seasonic.

i think itys not exactly arctic cooling 'system'. more like AC fan. so i think they were mentioning the arctic cooling brand. is that considered a good brand?

and thanks for telling me about the link.got it now.
Score

Best solution

October 30, 2011 10:17:03 AM

yeah you're right about the taxes as far as i can see...high duties->high prices for customers-> no one buying stuff -> companies have to raise prices.

the weirdest thing is, according to our customs department website, taxes should be at the most 10% on electronics...i calculated a 35% higher price on graphics cards...cant tell what's up...

nah it shouldn't change while gaming, it ok. if they're around their specified values, your PSU's fine. it probably shuts down because your GPU draws more power than your psu can handle...

and hey, we all started out with lame hardware knowledge ;)  and truthfully very few on this site actually know the exact technicalities of something, me included. I mean i won't be able to tell you the details of a processor's architecture or anything, but i know how it'll perform, how it's better off from the last gen, etc. Basic stuff.

yeah give the axle a test, if handles an overclocked 5450 then should work out fine. that's no measure really, the 560 will need more power anyway. Play some games with new card all maxed out, see if the PSU causes probs.

Yeah arctic is a good company, their Arctic Silver 5 is a pretty popular thermal compound, and other products are also good.

Quote:
and thanks for telling me about the link.got it now.

you're welcome :) 
October 30, 2011 12:51:08 PM

cool. Will be getting both d gpu n psu 2mrw. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.
Score
October 30, 2011 12:52:21 PM

Best answer selected by assassinsat.
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
October 30, 2011 2:10:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!