Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-8350 Mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 8, 2013 6:56:05 AM

Hi everyone!

I am going to be buying an AMD FX-8350 in three weeks time (Pay day here we come!) which will be replacing my AMD FX-8120. Now before I carry on I should point out that the 8120 is an excellent CPU, and I do not need to replace it but I just fancy having that extra performance. Besides, it's about an extra 35% performance. But that being said, my 8120 when OC'd to 4.3 Ghz (By simply upping the multiplyers) I have a WEI score of 7.8! I know that the WEI should not be taken as gospel, but it gives a good ball park right? But back to the question, I have decided that at the same time as buying this CPU, I am going to buy myself a new Mobo as well. The reason for this is as you can see from my signature, I am using a pretty s**t Mobo at the minute, and I am not getting the full potential from my components by using this board. For example, there are only SATA III 3Gbps ports on this Mobo, and so the performance that I am getting from my Intel SSD is not as good as it could be. So in short I am trying to find a decent Mobo for my new CPU, that will also enable my other components to perform at thier peak. What I would like to know is as follows:

- Whether this Mobo is any good ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A97_EVO_R20/ ), I beliee it is after doing some research, but I can't seem to find anything about OCing capability. Although if its been made specifically for the FX series of processors, I would assume that it is good for OCing. Correct me if im wrong?

- If there are any other motherboards that I should consider. I want at least 2 SATA III 6Gbps ports, and it would be prefereable to have a PCI-e x16 3.0 port, although this is not essential. Also, the above Mobo is £80 on Amazon, and this really is the most I am willing to spend, I cant even add another fiver to it, so please suggest Mobo's that are £80 or less. :D 

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies

P.S To the Intel lovers out there, please dont try and get me to change my mind about the 8350 and go for an i5 2500k or something, because not only do I not have enough money (As I would have to change my Cooler as well as my CPU and Mobo.), but also I am perfectly happy with AMD for now.

More about : amd 8350 mobo

a c 1151 V Motherboard
a c 352 À AMD
February 8, 2013 8:48:44 AM

That Asus board is fine and you will not find anything better in your budget range.
February 8, 2013 9:27:43 AM

Okay, great. Thanks.

Cheers for the help. =)
Related resources
February 8, 2013 9:40:05 AM

I know your'e budget restricted but you should take a look at the Asus sabretooth fx mobo. You can overclock it in just about every way. It can also handle the heat.
It's gotten graet reviews and I am actually using it for my test rig(Win 8). Also have the FX 8150 CPU. Gonna Get the new FX cpu soon. Also If u want Sata 3 get an SSD.
Its ligtning fast and you won't look back.....Trust Me You will thank yourself for doing it.......
Hope this Helps..

Cheers....
February 12, 2013 8:24:57 AM

Hi, sorry for the late reply, havent been able to check my e-mails for a while. lol.

@sixxnine

Thansk for the advice, I did look at the Sabretooth, but at £130 it really is way over my budget. ideally I only want to spend around £70-£80. =(

I currently do have SATA III connections, but only at 3Gbps, and I want 6Gbps ports with my upgrade. believe it or not, this is for use with my SSD. I have an Intel 520 series 180Gb SSD currently, upgraded from an OCZ Agility III 60Gb SSD. I know what you mean about not regreting it believe me! =) but because of the 3Gbps limitiations, I'm obviously not getting the full potential from it.
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 10:49:53 AM

I've owned an M5A97 board in the recent past. You do NOT want to use that as a platform to try OC'ing a FX8350. The voltage regulation (power phasing) is woefully inadaquate compared to just the very next board up in the Asus line. I could barely get to 3.9ghz on my M5A97 running a Phenom X4 965. Using my Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, I run daily at 4.3ghz and have gotten over 4.6ghz for benchmark runs. The M5A97 has a very basic 4+2 power phase design. The M5A99X Evo R2.0 and M5A99FX Pro R2.0 both have 6+2 Digi+ VRM designs, which make overclocking to any reasonable point a snap.

I was running my FX-8350 at 4.94ghz using air cooling earlier yesterday for a benchmark competition. I use it for folding (about the most stressful task a CPU can run) at 4.3 on air at least twelve hours a day. The 990-chipset boards from Asus are all beasts. You don't need to go with the Sabertooth or Crosshair V, even though they are amazing themselves.

Here is the 99X Evo R2.0 for $139, or around £90 if my math is right http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Trust me, you'll be very glad you put the extra few dollars in now. Better power regulation, more fan headers, sturdier build, and way more BIOS features. :hello: 
February 12, 2013 12:36:21 PM

Okay, great! thnaks for the help! I shall look into the 99X Evo R2.0 and see what I think. I just took a quick look on Amazon (UK site) and its going for around £90, so your math is sound. =)

Thanks for the help!
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 3:37:11 PM

No worries- have fun with the 99X if you go for it! Moving from the 97 felt like going from a Toyota to a Lexus. :D 
!