Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel i7 2600-K - Getting heat warning messages

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 1, 2012 3:36:43 AM

I built my PC about a month ago, and I use it primarily for photos editing (Lightroom 3 mostly). My CPU is an Intel i7 2600-K 3.4ghz. I've got an ASUS board with AI Suite II running. When I start running exports or other operations which require more processing power, sometimes I get warning messages from AI Suite II telling me the processor is running at certain temperatures. I'm wondering if I should be worried about this or not. Typically the warnings start if the temp gets above 70 degrees centigrade. Usually it reports 75 degrees, and sometimes up to 80. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I am not overclocking my processor, and everything is new as I built the machine about a month ago, so I don't think dust clogging is an issue at this point. Any other ideas as to what I can do? I have 5 80mm case fans running at full power as well.

Thanks,

Jamie
April 1, 2012 4:03:42 AM

If you're using the stock heatsink and fan for the i7 2600K, just simply replace it. Something like the Freezer 13 or Freezer 13 Pro from Arctic Cooling would be sufficient at stock clocks. If you plan to overclock later, the Coolermaster Hyper212 Plus would be good.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 4:33:55 AM

The best heatsinks at their respective budget points, I think, are the Hyper TX3 at $20, the Hyper 212 EVO at $35, and the Scythe Mugen 3 and EVGA Superclock at ~$50.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 1, 2012 4:49:57 AM

Believe it or not, the temps you're getting on the stock i7-2600k heatsink and fan are typical. Having installed several of these, I can tell you the bundles cooling solution is probably one of the worst on the market. Everything from the flimsy plastic posts you use to mount it, to the cheap fan make this an inefficient cooler and one I highly suggest upgrading.

While the temps you're getting may be somewhat typical, that doesn't mean there isn't an underlying issue. Make sure the heatsink is mounted properly and upgrade the thermal paste to a higher performance solution, at the very least. If you're up to spending a few dollars on a better heatsink/fan, I think it's a worthwhile purchase to protect your investment.

Shame on you Intel! Shame. on. you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:03:48 AM

Ironwilly said:
Believe it or not, the temps you're getting on the stock i7-2600k heatsink and fan are typical. Having installed several of these, I can tell you the bundles cooling solution is probably one of the worst on the market. Everything from the flimsy plastic posts you use to mount it, to the cheap fan make this an inefficient cooler and one I highly suggest upgrading.

While the temps you're getting may be somewhat typical, that doesn't mean there isn't an underlying issue. Make sure the heatsink is mounted properly and upgrade the thermal paste to a higher performance solution, at the very least. If you're up to spending a few dollars on a better heatsink/fan, I think it's a worthwhile purchase to protect your investment.

Shame on you Intel! Shame. on. you.


they are shitty coolers no arguement there but they have done tests on the tim intel ships with stock cooler and it isnt really any worse than anything else around. get a cooler master 212 they are great for 30 bucks and and a good 2nd fan for it for 10 bucks extra and it will cope with some moderate overclocking easily. get rid of those 80mm fans if u have 120mm mounts, 80mm fans are awful, will be the best 30 bucks you'll spend on your pc and it will be quiet unlike the factory solution
m
0
l
April 1, 2012 5:34:45 AM

@ Jasont78

I wasn't necessarily saying the Intel TIM is bad, was just saying it's worth looking into upgrading if he is going to remove the heatsink to make sure it's seated properly. I'm not one that believes that spending $35 on thermal compound is going to make or break your CPU cooling. :) 

It's not just the cooling of the stock assembly that bothers me, it feels and looks like something you'd get with s $50 CPU. On one hand, I can understand a typical "enthusiast" (for lack of a better term) will upgrade the cooler without a thought given. Just comparing the Intel stock cooler to AMD's though: Intel should be embarrassed.
m
0
l
April 1, 2012 11:44:40 PM

Thanks for input.

Would this be a good option for a cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It seems to have good reviews, not too big, and somewhat simple to install. Also, do these all come with thermal paste? Or would I need to buy it separately? I didn't see anything in the description about it being included. Thanks
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 12:20:10 AM

Grab a Hyper 212 EVO instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Yes, they all come with TIM.
Share
April 2, 2012 12:46:24 AM

I had looked at that. Heard several bad reviews on the fan. Is there any validity to this? "Cons: The fan on the Hyper 212+ is an excellent product. The fan that comes with the EVO leaves a lot to be desired. It is flimsy, louder, and made of a much cheaper plastic."

Or is it not that big of a deal? Thanks
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
April 2, 2012 12:56:04 AM

You didn't install the cooler correctly, make sure that all four push pins are tightly installed.
m
0
l
a c 112 à CPUs
April 2, 2012 1:19:33 AM

as your temps are pretty normal for stock cooling i would recommend you upgrade that aspect of your pc.
dump the noisy 80mm fans for 120 quiet fans. not only will they be quieter they will give much better air flow which will help reduce system temps...
a goodl 80mm fan will give a maximum of about 30cfm... a cheap 120mm fan will run at roughly half the rpm and give 35 cfm so you immediately reduce noise and get better cooling... a quality 120mm fan will give low noise but give you 50-120 cfm (depending on whether you get the case fan or a high end cpu fan (both can be used for either purpose though)

just be aware, the higher the cfm the more likley you will get fan noise so even a 120mm fan that gives 120 cfm will sound like your 80mm fan at full tilt...

the best quietest fans are the fluid dynamic bearing fans... they will last longer and run quieter than any other type of fan bearing while giving comparable air flow to the higher end 120mm fans...

m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 1:21:45 AM

jag64551 said:
I had looked at that. Heard several bad reviews on the fan. Is there any validity to this? "Cons: The fan on the Hyper 212+ is an excellent product. The fan that comes with the EVO leaves a lot to be desired. It is flimsy, louder, and made of a much cheaper plastic."

Or is it not that big of a deal? Thanks


I have the evo and I can't even hear it. You will find negative reviews with every product, looking at the average will you the best idea.
m
0
l
April 2, 2012 1:35:36 AM

-I would say I did install it correctly.

-I'd love to do the 120mm case fans, but I only have 80mm slots in my antec case. I've got 5 Enermax fans - really quiet and seem to give off a good flow. I have them hooked up to a controller.

-Good call on the reviews - it looks like a really solid fan overall. I will probably go with it.

One question I had on the thermal paste (sorry for being such a noob) - do you have to take off the original stuff, or do you just put the new stuff on over it? I'm sure there are 1,000,000,000 Youtube videos about this, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 1:38:59 AM

jag64551 said:
-I would say I did install it correctly.

-I'd love to do the 120mm case fans, but I only have 80mm slots in my antec case. I've got 5 Enermax fans - really quiet and seem to give off a good flow. I have them hooked up to a controller.

-Good call on the reviews - it looks like a really solid fan overall. I will probably go with it.

One question I had on the thermal paste (sorry for being such a noob) - do you have to take off the original stuff, or do you just put the new stuff on over it? I'm sure there are 1,000,000,000 Youtube videos about this, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks


Take off the old thermal paste, using rubbing alcohol and some q-tips is how I do it. With the evo apply three small lines where the separation is for the best cooling experience.
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
April 2, 2012 4:02:35 AM

Quote:
I have the evo and I can't even hear it. You will find negative reviews with every product, looking at the average will you the best idea.

Mine is loud....
m
0
l
a c 112 à CPUs
April 2, 2012 4:39:19 AM

bit odd that your case doesnt have 120mm mountings. which case do you have?.
as for the app giving the warnings it may be that its not setup correctly for your cpu...
like speedfan. you have to set the thermal limits manually to 5 or so decrees below the max temp and then if you see a warning you know for sure the cpu is to warm.
m
0
l
April 2, 2012 7:34:45 PM

jag64551 said:
Thanks for input.

Would this be a good option for a cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It seems to have good reviews, not too big, and somewhat simple to install. Also, do these all come with thermal paste? Or would I need to buy it separately? I didn't see anything in the description about it being included. Thanks




Zalman coolers can be tricky to install but work very well. I'm building an i7-2600K system and using the CNPS9900max-b. There are video tutorials on how to get it installed. Otherwise, I'd go with the Hyper 212 EVO or Hyper N 520

m
0
l
a c 112 à CPUs
April 3, 2012 9:54:29 AM

yeah i see it.(your case).. that was a good case about 6 years ago when it was new... but today its a little to narrow to fit most tower cpu coolers... maybe its time you looked at a cheap coolermaster case... they have some excellent 1s for under 50 pounds. at least that way you can have your pick of some great coolers instead of having to settle for just a good 1...

m
0
l
April 3, 2012 12:52:21 PM

Bummer - really wasn't planning on going to a new case. I will have to do some measuring and see what will fit in there, or get something else. Thanks for pointing that out though.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 2:11:50 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (went pretty smoothly) and all is well. The highest temp I've seen is 55 degrees, whereas before I was getting 70-80 degrees. Average while doing normal photo operations is 40-44 degrees. The fan is quiet, and I have it kicking out toward the back of my case, and out the back vents with fans. I had about a centimeter of space, as my case is older so it's not as wide as newer cases are (as was pointed out earlier). So far so good. Thanks again.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2012 2:18:16 AM

Good stuff.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 2:17:07 AM

Best answer selected by jag64551.
m
0
l
!