kjs5932

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
i live in nz and im out in korea for the holidays, nz being an island and all, the prices are high, and the same router, d-link DIR-615, is selling in korea at third the cost in nz.

my question is, is it ok to bring a wireless router overseas and use it, will it be compatible or not?

i'm a real beginner when it comes to internet and all that, and i dont have the time now to study on it (leaving in 2 days)

so all the help and advice will be appreciated, and maybe another loophole if i cant buy the router from korea

Solution
G
You should be alright with a cable router but I would be cautious with a DSL router/modem type because as you may have observed there are differences between markets -- in UK we refer to ADSL (Asynchronous) whereas in the US it's just DSL.

I would try speaking to someone at D-Link or your ISP (though be a bit careful on why you're asking as neither may be too happy with your grey import). You'll also lose any chance of a warranty, I suspect.

Finally, Korean market is highly controlled price-wise and, actually, importers there have a big problem with Koreans bringing cheap stuff back from holidays in Japan and Malaysia. As D-Link is an American based company that makes stuff in China I just don't see bargains.

Might instead look...
G

You should be alright with a cable router but I would be cautious with a DSL router/modem type because as you may have observed there are differences between markets -- in UK we refer to ADSL (Asynchronous) whereas in the US it's just DSL.

I would try speaking to someone at D-Link or your ISP (though be a bit careful on why you're asking as neither may be too happy with your grey import). You'll also lose any chance of a warranty, I suspect.

Finally, Korean market is highly controlled price-wise and, actually, importers there have a big problem with Koreans bringing cheap stuff back from holidays in Japan and Malaysia. As D-Link is an American based company that makes stuff in China I just don't see bargains.

Might instead look at the locally made MP3 players -- iRiver, Samsung etc which are excellent and may be cheaper there.

Solution