After XP SP2 install

After installing SP2, I now have an icon in my
notification area that is two computers with a yellow ball
moving across them. If I disable it, it disables my
Westell DSL Modem. When I hover over the icon, it says:
Local Area Connection 12Mbps Status: Acquiring Network
Address. I have gone into many discussion rooms and cannot
find an answer. The icon comes up with the desktop and
NEVER goes away. When I connect to the internet, I get a
second icon with two computers (the regular one that I
have always had), right next to the bouncing yellow ball
one. I have one computer and use Verizon DSL to connect to
the internet. When I open Control Panel>Network
Connections, the window is as follows:
1) Broadband > Verizon Online
2) LAN or High-speed Internet > Local Area Connection
3) Wizard
I have tried every support option and read all the faqs
and other posts to resolve this, but cannot get rid of it.
Since I never had this icon before, it HAS to be because
of something that the SP2 changed. I know that sometimes
you have to reconfigure some things to get your computer
back to where it was running as before, but nobody seems
to know how to get rid of my bouncing yellow ball icon.
HELP ME!!!!!

Start, Connect To, Show all connections.
Have you got anything you shouldn't have or don't use, it should only list
your DSL, or LAN and maybe a dialup account. If you have anything else
that's what to look at first.

Andy B

"Donna L" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing SP2, I now have an icon in my
> notification area that is two computers with a yellow ball
> moving across them. If I disable it, it disables my
> Westell DSL Modem. When I hover over the icon, it says:
> Local Area Connection 12Mbps Status: Acquiring Network
> Address. I have gone into many discussion rooms and cannot
> find an answer. The icon comes up with the desktop and
> NEVER goes away. When I connect to the internet, I get a
> second icon with two computers (the regular one that I
> have always had), right next to the bouncing yellow ball
> one. I have one computer and use Verizon DSL to connect to
> the internet. When I open Control Panel>Network
> Connections, the window is as follows:
> 1) Broadband > Verizon Online
> 2) LAN or High-speed Internet > Local Area Connection
> 3) Wizard
> I have tried every support option and read all the faqs
> and other posts to resolve this, but cannot get rid of it.
> Since I never had this icon before, it HAS to be because
> of something that the SP2 changed. I know that sometimes
> you have to reconfigure some things to get your computer
> back to where it was running as before, but nobody seems
> to know how to get rid of my bouncing yellow ball icon.
> HELP ME!!!!!

Andy,
I tried Start > Connect To > Show All Connections and got
the same thing as I get when I click on Control Panel >
Network Connections as listed in my original post. Nothing
seems out of order, but I still have my bouncing yellow
ball. There must be something that I have to change to get
it to go away, but I don't know what that is. Under LAN or
High-Speed Internet, that is the ONLY place that I see
Local Area Connection listed. As I said, I don't have a
network, and also got rid of my dial-up just in case it
had something to do with it. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Thanks anyway Andy,
Donna

Hi,

Just a though and no time to look tonight but at 12mbps indicated, and it
was a major feature of SP2 your "two computers with a yellow ball" icon
maybe a WIFI set-up or Service.
Don't know anything about wireless networking. I think it is a service and
if so can be stop and started from RUN services.msc.
For information on services try www.blackviper.com the best site on the
web, he will also have an SP2 service configuration up and running soon.

regards Andy B

> Andy,
> I tried Start > Connect To > Show All Connections and got
> the same thing as I get when I click on Control Panel >
> Network Connections as listed in my original post. Nothing
> seems out of order, but I still have my bouncing yellow
> ball. There must be something that I have to change to get
> it to go away, but I don't know what that is. Under LAN or
> High-Speed Internet, that is the ONLY place that I see
> Local Area Connection listed. As I said, I don't have a
> network, and also got rid of my dial-up just in case it
> had something to do with it. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
> Thanks anyway Andy,
> Donna

Thanks Andy,
I'll try your suggestion. Will keep you posted to what
happens.
Donna ;o)