Help choosing graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo0ja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hey guys, first time builder here. I've decided on the processor I want to use (i5-2500k 3.3 Ghz) and I'm fairly sure I'll be going with the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 for the MoBo. Depends on what kind of deals newegg has on Black Friday when I'll be buying everything.

I want to run BF3 and eventually Diablo 3 as well as whatever games I may what to play later on. Basically, I'm looking for a good gaming card. I have about $250 bucks to work with and from what I've gathered, the ATI 6950 2GB and the Nvidia 560 1GB are the best options out there. I've heard from a friend that the 6950 can be unlocked to run at the speed of a 6970 but I don't know much about that.

Wondering what your guy's thoughts were. Don't plan on running dual cards because I don't have the money for it. What do you think is the best card for me?

Also curious about the compatibility between a PCIe 2.0/1 card and a PCIe 3.0 slot or a PCIe 2.1 card and a PCI 2.0 slot. Need some education from you guys!

I'd appreciate any help.

Bo0ja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Lol yea thats what I meant thanks for pointing that out.

With a few exeptions the pci-e slots are all backwards compatible. Sometimes a 2.1 card can give some problem with an old 1.0 mobo, but that's rare.
Also a 2.0 or 2.1 card should work in a 3.0 slot i think.( tho not complete sure about that )
Since you're still building i would wait maybe for the 7xxx series from amd. ( if you can wait for a couple of months that is )

Bo0ja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Don't think I can haha. Everyone I know is playing BF3 right now and I don't wanna show up too late to the party. Best I can do is wait 'til Black Friday when I'm hoping a nice i5/Mobo deal will pop up.

Gonna do some more reading up on everything, I've never overclocked a card or built a computer before so this is all new.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.