Problem upgrading CPU to i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilobyte

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hello, Thank-you for taking the time to read, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to fix my brother's computer. Specifications as follows:
O.S. : Windows 7 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3. Socket Lga1156.
Current CPU: Intel Core i3 530
RAM: KingSton 4GB DDR3
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 - 1GB
PSU - Thermal Master ATX 12v / TM-420-PMSR. Max. 420w

He wanted to upgrade his cpu so bought an Intel Core i7 cpu to upgrade to (exact type of i7 unknown).

The computer works perfectly fine with the old Core i3 cpu, but as soon as the new core i7 cpu is inserted, and as soon as the computer is turned on, the screen remains completely blank, and all it will do is make continuous (short) beeps.

According to the beep code list (in the motherboard manual), it means there is a power problem.

I have ruled out any problems (i.e. faults) with the graphics card and the ram.

It works when the i3 cpu is re-inserted.

I'm wondering whether there is a problem with the psu - I'm thinking that maybe to power up an i7 cpu it needs a more powerful psu?
I have tried to find out minimum power requirements for i7's, but can't seem to find any information anywhere.

It's worth noting that this is the second i7 cpu - the first that my brother received/bought did the same thing, and we just thought that it was faulty, so got a brand new replacement.

As I said above, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank-you!! :)

Solution

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Doing some research on your PSU, it might be the cause of your troubles...since it's really a..erm (For a lack of a better term) POS.

I highly doubt it's a CPU issue since they very rarely die. Even more rare for them to be DOA.

As I'm only 90% sure of my theory, it would be nice if someone could pitch in :sweat:
What's the exact type of i7? We'll need to know exactly to confirm...since I don't think the PSU is really the problem, you don't have a very power hungry GPU, and it SHOULD have plenty of overhead to power an i7.

Also, does the i7 fit into the socket perfectly without any issue? (Like when you're inserting your i3.) I know that LGA 1156 and 1155 have different notches, so inserting a 1156 into 1155 won't be too likely, but you can never be too sure.

kilobyte

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for your reply! The cpu is a Core i7-860s.
I wouldn't think that the psu would've had to be much bigger.

It's definitely a LGA 1156, and it's definitely in correctly.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Doing some research on your PSU, it might be the cause of your troubles...since it's really a..erm (For a lack of a better term) POS.

I highly doubt it's a CPU issue since they very rarely die. Even more rare for them to be DOA.

As I'm only 90% sure of my theory, it would be nice if someone could pitch in :sweat:

Solution

kilobyte

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Lol, very good term - it most definitely is a POS! (wanted to save a bit of money when the computer was first built).

That's exactly what I thought about the psu - I wanted to have someone else confirm my theory before I told my brother to buy a new one. :)

I personally prefer Corsair PSU's. They're very high quality and you can generally get them for a good price. Probably a CX430 will fit your needs :) Though if you plan to upgrade your graphics card in the future, maybe a 550w, or even 650w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS