Hypothetical: If the EU sue Intel...

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Will they give a slice of that money to intel's competitors - including AMD?

As far as I understand, the EU can fine up to 10% of a company's annual revenues (whether that is for each of the years in question, or just for one year I don't know) - but Intel's revenue is roughly $40 billion.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

A few more stock market days like yestarday and I'll be able to buy AMD! :bounce:

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Why would you wish for that? Even when AMD was having the upper hand in the performances market (their whole line actually) they couldn't get full market recognition.

Turn this upside down now. Even with Intel dominances in the cpu area, they haven't gain back the fanboy recognition they deserve by AMD crowd. See what I mean?

Why would the EU do this actually? AMD is already in court with Intel concerning exactly this. They have to let it unfold before they can actually do anything concrete or they'll risk having their whole argument destroyed even before it starts. Also, they can probably take 10% of Intel european revenue, they can't touch what hasn't happen on their own teritory. Otherwise, let's all get to Europe and start destroying US, and Canadian, and Russian, and Chinese, and Indian, and any other cointries company that you want a slice of to boost your own economy. See what I mean, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSES. Especially if that company isn't one that belong to you...

And about the US doing the same? Honestly, I don't think it would be a good idea to beat up one of US dominant technology company and risk having some of that money given to (exemple) Samsung or any other company that isn't in American hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even American. But I can imagine what I'd do to preserve technology leadership. It's enough that us (canadian) let AMD get ATI, you shouldn't let the same thing happen. It's this simple.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
We Canadians might as well have sold off ATI to a bunch of hi school junior investers. If we asume that ATI is worht half of AMD, that means that we've lost a full two thirds of the value of one of our major corporations thanks to that lunatic Ruiz. He should be taken to Baffin Island in a speedo and fed to the polar bears.

sailer

Splendid

Careful there. Some animal rights group will sue you for mistreating the bears.

As to the EU, Intel and AMD, There has been some speculation that the EU would give part or all of the money to AMD and require that AMD would give up its lawsuit against Intel, at least as far as Europe is concerned. Then again, if politians get hold of the money, how likely is it that they would give it away instead of keeping it for themselves? ROFL

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Hey, the polar bears have run out of ice to catch seals so they'll take anyting they can right now. Even a Mexican with jalapenos for brains like Hecotr! No mistretment there, just trying to bring some internatonal spice into the diet of polar bears to help them survive!

And FYI, I'm a proud citizen of Canuckistan where we have the right to have our drivers licesne pictures taken with a veil on! I'm gonna show up at the driver's license office when I have to renew with a Harley bandana over my face and see if I can have the same rights! :fou:

sailer

Splendid

I could just see that happening. You show up with a Harley bandana over your face and everyone in the room starts handing you their wallets and purses while they put their hands up and plea for mercy. :lol:

You could end up with your picture on something other than a driver's license. :eek: :non:

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

I think Intel should make a deal with AMD that in exchange for Intel not selling processors to Europe AMD must never bring lawsuits against Intel and drop the current ones. That way all the Euro-pee-ons would be forced to run slow **** processors while eating a big bowl full of STFU. :hello:

endyen

Splendid
Most likely, any fine leveled by the EU's FTC would be small. It will probably be under 100 milion euros.
On the other hand, when AMD's suit (the one they would start after they loose in the US) came before the courts, it would be a slam dunk.
If Intel is found guilty in bothe EU and Korea first, they may settle in the U.S., because they would be in more control of the penalty

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Dont forget that Transmeta just won in Federal court against Intel. They sued Intel for 11 counts of copyright infringement on Transmeta's microprocessor related patents and won $250 million. Seems Intel is trying to cheat and steal from everyone they can. It almost caused Transmeta to go out of business.

Too bad AMD's lawsuit against Intel isn't even about copyright infringement... perhaps they would have a better chance then. ;)