PS3 to cost $450-500?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

From IGN:

"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
dollars.

"Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.

"Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2.
If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
price for the high-end functionality.

"IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."
39 answers Last reply
More about cost
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Billy J. Le Petomane wrote:
    > From IGN:
    >
    > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most
    expensive
    > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > dollars.

    They are always overpriced at inital launch, because demand is so high.
    Give it some time and prices will go down.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Billy J. Le Petomane wrote:
    > From IGN:
    >
    > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most
    expensive
    > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > dollars.
    >
    > "Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
    > Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
    > Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
    > of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
    > first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
    > advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
    >
    > "Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than
    PS2.
    > If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
    > price for the high-end functionality.
    >
    > "IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."

    If I had to guess, I'd say it launches in the US between $350-$400.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > > They are always overpriced at inital launch, because demand is so
    high.
    > > Give it some time and prices will go down.
    >
    > If only I wasn't so impulsive I could save some serious coin ;-)

    Hey, I bet it is pretty cool to be one of the first to get a console
    and buy it on launch day. Everything's got a price. :)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > If I had to guess, I'd say it launches in the US between $350-$400.

    Given that quite a few people will pay that much for an iPod, I think
    they could easily get away with that much. The original PSX was $300.
    Surely there's been some inflation since 1995.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > If I had to guess, I'd say it launches in the US between
    $350-$400.

    > Given that quite a few people will pay that much for an iPod, I think
    > they could easily get away with that much. The original PSX was
    $300.
    > Surely there's been some inflation since 1995.

    Also, wasn't the Saturn originally $399 at launch?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:00:00 -0400, "Billy J. Le Petomane" <bjd@com.net.org>
    wrote:

    >|From IGN:
    >|
    >|"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >|Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >|mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >|apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >|for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >|dollars.
    >|
    >|"Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
    >|Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
    >|Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
    >|of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
    >|first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
    >|advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
    >|
    >|"Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2.
    >|If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
    >|price for the high-end functionality.
    >|
    >|"IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."

    Yep and that's cheap. Blue ray DVD player and TWO $500 Nvidia video chips for
    $500?!.. Sign me up.

    Pluvious
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Billy J. Le Petomane" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    > From IGN:
    >
    > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > dollars.
    >
    > "Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
    > Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
    > Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
    > of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
    > first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
    > advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
    >
    > "Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2.
    > If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
    > price for the high-end functionality.
    >
    > "IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."

    Any word on what the XBox 360 will launch at?
    I won't mind paying $500 for the PS3 if it does include Hi-Def DVD playback.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "cjw" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Billy J. Le Petomane wrote:
    > > From IGN:
    > >
    > > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most
    > expensive
    > > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > > dollars.
    >
    > They are always overpriced at inital launch, because demand is so high.
    > Give it some time and prices will go down.

    If only I wasn't so impulsive I could save some serious coin ;-)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Daniel G. wrote:
    > Similar to cars, why
    > pay 20 grand for a car new when I could wait one year and pay 10
    grand ;p

    Maybe there is such a thing as new console smell. ;)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Yep and that's cheap. Blue ray DVD player and TWO $500 Nvidia video chips
    > for
    > $500?!.. Sign me up.

    If it's anything like usual, there will be no Blue Ray DVDs to play on it,
    besides Lost in Space and Punch Drunk Love, and no games. Might as well
    wait for the price to fall before buying it.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:00:00 -0400, "Billy J. Le Petomane"
    <bjd@com.net.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >|From IGN:
    > >|
    > >|"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > >|Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    > >|mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > >|apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > >|for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > >|dollars.
    > >|
    > >|"Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
    > >|Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
    > >|Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
    > >|of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
    > >|first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
    > >|advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
    > >|
    > >|"Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2.
    > >|If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
    > >|price for the high-end functionality.
    > >|
    > >|"IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."
    >
    > Yep and that's cheap. Blue ray DVD player and TWO $500 Nvidia video chips
    for
    > $500?!.. Sign me up.

    Ok, but I'll need your credit card information and billing address to secure
    1 PS3 for you ;-)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Has anyone heard if either the 360 or PS3 is going to support upscaling
    playback of current DVDs?

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Billy J. Le Petomane" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    >> From IGN:
    >>
    >> "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >> Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >> mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >> apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >> for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >> dollars.
    >>
    >> "Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
    >> Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
    >> Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
    >> of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
    >> first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
    >> advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
    >>
    >> "Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2.
    >> If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
    >> price for the high-end functionality.
    >>
    >> "IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."
    >
    > Any word on what the XBox 360 will launch at?
    > I won't mind paying $500 for the PS3 if it does include Hi-Def DVD
    > playback.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Billy J. Le Petomane <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    >From IGN:
    >
    >"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >dollars.

    Honestly, I'd bet on Sony to launch at the same price as the X360.

    --
    In fact, I've got considerable sympathy for the Red Chinese despite the
    fact that if my dog were a member of the American crew Jiang Zemin would

    I got the X-Box, PS2, GameCube, and a host of other systems on launch day.
    I didn't mind paying the extra cash for some fun on Day 1.

    > Boody Bandit wrote:
    >> > They are always overpriced at inital launch, because demand is so
    > high.
    >> > Give it some time and prices will go down.
    >>
    >> If only I wasn't so impulsive I could save some serious coin ;-)
    >
    > Hey, I bet it is pretty cool to be one of the first to get a console
    > and buy it on launch day. Everything's got a price. :)

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I got the X-Box, PS2, GameCube, and a host of other systems on launch day.
    >I didn't mind paying the extra cash for some fun on Day 1.

    The way I see, I'll have just as much fun playing the games in a year as I
    would playing them today, so why fork over extra money if I don't have to,
    but maybe thats just because I dont make much money. Similar to cars, why
    pay 20 grand for a car new when I could wait one year and pay 10 grand ;p

    > "cjw" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >> high.
    >>>
    >>> If only I wasn't so impulsive I could save some serious coin ;-)
    >>
    >> Hey, I bet it is pretty cool to be one of the first to get a console
    >> and buy it on launch day. Everything's got a price. :)

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> > If I had to guess, I'd say it launches in the US between
    > $350-$400.
    >>

    >> Given that quite a few people will pay that much for an iPod, I think
    >> they could easily get away with that much. The original PSX was
    > $300.
    >> Surely there's been some inflation since 1995.
    >
    > Also, wasn't the Saturn originally $399 at launch?

    I don't know about the Saturn but that damned 3DO was up there as well if it
    was.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > Billy J. Le Petomane <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    >>From IGN:
    >>
    >>"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >>Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >>mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >>apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >>for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >>dollars.
    >
    > Honestly, I'd bet on Sony to launch at the same price as the X360.

    I would hope that but it doesn't seem like it would make much sense. On
    paper, they have quite a bit more to offer. The only way that they
    would/should launch at 360 price is if paper doesn't translate to product.
    > --
    > In fact, I've got considerable sympathy for the Red Chinese despite the
    > fact that if my dog were a member of the American crew Jiang Zemin would
    > have eaten him by now.
    > -- from the National Review, a magazine that drips with class. or
    > something.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "cjw" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Billy J. Le Petomane wrote:
    > > From IGN:
    > >
    > > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most
    > expensive
    > > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > > dollars.
    >
    > They are always overpriced at inital launch, because demand is so high.
    > Give it some time and prices will go down.

    I think you missed an important clue in the message: the PS3 will sell for
    a substantial amount more than the Xbox 360! Most likely due to the Blu-Ray
    DVD player in the PS3.

    -Sammy
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Billy J. Le Petomane <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    > From IGN:

    > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > dollars.

    But at the same time, electronics tend to cost more in Japan than in the
    US. The price difference between the US and Japan can be as high as 100%
    - for the exact same product. So, while Japan's market might support a
    new console at 50000 yen, I doubt that means we'll see the PS3 debuting in
    the US for $465. My guess the US price will still be around $300.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Billy J. Le Petomane
    > <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    >> From IGN:
    >
    >> "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >> Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >> mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >> apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >> for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >> dollars.
    >
    > But at the same time, electronics tend to cost more in Japan than in the
    > US. The price difference between the US and Japan can be as high as 100%
    > - for the exact same product. So, while Japan's market might support a
    > new console at 50000 yen, I doubt that means we'll see the PS3 debuting in
    > the US for $465. My guess the US price will still be around $300.

    Meh, they launched a handheld for ~300 in the US, they've seen that they can
    dupe the early people.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    >> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Billy J. Le Petomane
    >> <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    >>> From IGN:
    >>
    >>> "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >>> Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >>> mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >>> apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >>> for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >>> dollars.
    >>
    >> But at the same time, electronics tend to cost more in Japan than in the
    >> US. The price difference between the US and Japan can be as high as 100%
    >> - for the exact same product. So, while Japan's market might support a
    >> new console at 50000 yen, I doubt that means we'll see the PS3 debuting
    >> in
    >> the US for $465. My guess the US price will still be around $300.
    >
    > Meh, they launched a handheld for ~300 in the US, they've seen that they
    > can dupe the early people.

    So were you duped when you bought your PSP from Japan?
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Boody Bandit <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I won't mind paying $500 for the PS3 if it does include Hi-Def DVD playback.

    Do you think there's going to be much on Hi-Def DVD by the time the PS3
    comes out?

    Besides which, first gen hardware is always overpriced and oftentimes has
    a number of kinks in it. Better to wait 6 months to a year, pick up the
    2nd generation product which will be cheaper than the 1st generation, and
    outperform it.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Actually both Microsoft and sony are trying to make a gaming machine
    into an everything machine. People like myself don't care to add
    pictures to a hard drive or play their mp's through their gaming
    system. That's what DVR'S Like tivo and Ipods are for. As far as
    viewing pictures your computer does that seamlessly. Microsoft saying
    you can make your own shirts almost was laughable.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > "Billy J. Le Petomane" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>From IGN:
    >>
    >>"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >>Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >>mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >>apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >>for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >>dollars.
    >>
    >>"Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics
    >>Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful
    >>Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs
    >>of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the
    >>first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking
    >>advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
    >>
    >>"Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2.
    >>If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty
    >>price for the high-end functionality.
    >>
    >>"IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials."
    >

    > Any word on what the XBox 360 will launch at?
    > I won't mind paying $500 for the PS3 if it does include Hi-Def DVD playback.

    I love this one too. :)

    sam

  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    I will wait till it comes down in price to about $250.00
    I currently own a DVD Player, Tivo, and ps2 gaming system.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > > If I had to guess, I'd say it launches in the US between
    > $350-$400.
    > >

    > > Given that quite a few people will pay that much for an iPod, I think
    > > they could easily get away with that much. The original PSX was
    > $300.
    > > Surely there's been some inflation since 1995.
    >
    > Also, wasn't the Saturn originally $399 at launch?

    Yup, it launched for $399.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Boody Bandit
    <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > I won't mind paying $500 for the PS3 if it does include Hi-Def DVD
    playback.

    > Do you think there's going to be much on Hi-Def DVD by the time the PS3
    > comes out?

    Considering Hi-Def DVD's are suppose to be launched this Fall, I would say
    yes.

    > Besides which, first gen hardware is always overpriced and oftentimes has
    > a number of kinks in it. Better to wait 6 months to a year, pick up the
    > 2nd generation product which will be cheaper than the 1st generation, and
    > outperform it.

    $500 for a Hi-Def DVD player will be cheap.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > So were you duped when you bought your PSP from Japan?

    Obviously. Luckily it was broke and I got my money back.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:d6l0ko$4s2$1@dns3.cae.ca...

    > What you don't take into account is what money means to different people.
    > If
    > it only takes me a few days work to make the money which I would spend on
    > new xbox360 then I'd have no problem paying a higher price tag and id be
    > more willing in taking the risk that the hardware wont die on me cause
    > that
    > amount of money means less to me than someone who makes 10$/hour.

    Exactly.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >
    > > So were you duped when you bought your PSP from Japan?
    >
    > Obviously. Luckily it was broke and I got my money back.

    Really?
    What import company policy offers "refunds" instead of "replacement" of
    defective products?
    I want to know so I can order from them in the future.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    >> > So were you duped when you bought your PSP from Japan?
    >>
    >> Obviously. Luckily it was broke and I got my money back.
    >
    > Really?
    > What import company policy offers "refunds" instead of "replacement" of
    > defective products?

    They don't, but since they weren't going to have any for weeks, I got them
    to refund it. Perhaps you need to work on your personal skills?

    > I want to know so I can order from them in the future.

    Why would I tell you? You're always a dick to everyone.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 SamuelF566@aol.com wrote:
    > Actually both Microsoft and sony are trying to make a gaming machine
    > into an everything machine. People like myself don't care to add
    > pictures to a hard drive or play their mp's through their gaming
    > system. That's what DVR'S Like tivo and Ipods are for. As far as
    > viewing pictures your computer does that seamlessly. Microsoft saying
    > you can make your own shirts almost was laughable.

    I was unaware you could use your iPod as a DVR...
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Billy J. Le Petomane" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    > From IGN:
    >
    > "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    > Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    > mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    > apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    > for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    > dollars.

    Are you sure this isn't a "bundle price" for the PS3? Consoles
    manufacturers are always known as taking a loss on the hardware itself. The
    money is easily made up for in software titles and accessories. I'm sorry,
    but with Microsoft having a generous headstart (that includes a Christmas
    holiday) to see Sony charging any more that $350 would just be absolutely
    nuts. And if they dropped the price within the first 6 months they're going
    to piss alot of people off. Their best bet would be to take as much of a
    loss on the console as necessary to be competetive, especially considering
    that the PS3 is also a vessel to selling not only games, but possibly more
    Sony movies and Sony HDTVs. As big of a player as Sony is, they need the
    stick with the strategy of getting the highest number of installed users.
    The money will follow.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    >> $350-$400.
    >>>

    >>> Given that quite a few people will pay that much for an iPod, I think
    >>> they could easily get away with that much. The original PSX was
    >> $300.
    >>> Surely there's been some inflation since 1995.
    >>
    >> Also, wasn't the Saturn originally $399 at launch?
    >>

    > I don't know about the Saturn but that damned 3DO was up there as well if
    > it was.

    I remember seeing the 3DO priced at $699, the Jaguar was quite pricey as
    well.

    They would have had a better business strategy of giving the consoles away
    for free.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "defecto" <defecto@moontan.org> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > >> $350-$400.

    > >> $300.
    > >>
    > >> Also, wasn't the Saturn originally $399 at launch?
    > >>

    > > I don't know about the Saturn but that damned 3DO was up there as well
    if
    > > it was.
    >
    > I remember seeing the 3DO priced at $699, the Jaguar was quite pricey as
    > well.

    My brother and I went in together on the 3DO just to play Madden ;-)
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    <SamuelF566@AOL.COM> wrote in message
    > Actually both Microsoft and sony are trying to make a gaming machine
    > into an everything machine. People like myself don't care to add
    > pictures to a hard drive or play their mp's through their gaming
    > system. That's what DVR'S Like tivo and Ipods are for. As far as
    > viewing pictures your computer does that seamlessly.

    How about ripping all your DVDs onto a networked PC and using the Xbox 360
    as a Tivo-like device for playing your media content. I'm going to enjoy
    having all of my multimedia (including home videos) available within a few
    clicks of a remote.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    >> I remember seeing the 3DO priced at $699, the Jaguar was quite pricey as
    >> well.
    >
    > My brother and I went in together on the 3DO just to play Madden ;-)

    Now THAT'S dedication! :)
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > >> I remember seeing the 3DO priced at $699, the Jaguar was quite pricey
    as
    > >> well.
    > >
    > > My brother and I went in together on the 3DO just to play Madden ;-)
    > >

    > Now THAT'S dedication! :)

    or total stupidity ;-)
    Actually it was smart on his part since I ended up purchasing all the games
    for it besides Madden. I got to keep it at my place though :-)
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:20:08 GMT, "defecto" <defecto@moontan.org>
    wrote:

    >"Billy J. Le Petomane" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    >> From IGN:
    >>
    >> "According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's
    >> Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive
    >> mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony
    >> apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan
    >> for 'less than 50,000 yen each.' That translates to about $465 US
    >> dollars.
    >>

    >Are you sure this isn't a "bundle price" for the PS3? Consoles
    >manufacturers are always known as taking a loss on the hardware itself. The
    >money is easily made up for in software titles and accessories. I'm sorry,
    >but with Microsoft having a generous headstart (that includes a Christmas
    >holiday) to see Sony charging any more that $350 would just be absolutely
    >nuts. And if they dropped the price within the first 6 months they're going
    >to piss alot of people off. Their best bet would be to take as much of a
    >loss on the console as necessary to be competetive, especially considering
    >that the PS3 is also a vessel to selling not only games, but possibly more
    >Sony movies and Sony HDTVs. As big of a player as Sony is, they need the
    >stick with the strategy of getting the highest number of installed users.
    >The money will follow.

    The Japanese routinely pay significantly more for consoles. It's the
    price they pay to have the console first. By the time the console is
    released several months later in the US, it' usually substantially
    cheaper.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 launched at $450-$500 in Japan, but
    I would be very surprised if it cost more than $399 in the US.

    The caveat is whether Sony decides to launch in Japan 1st, or launch
    simultaneously in Japan and US. Sony could significantly hurt
    Microsoft by launching within 6 months of the 360, but they may be
    forced to sell the system for a higher price. Its even conceivable
    that Sony may decide to launch in the US market first, since it's
    Microsoft's strength and launch in Japan later, where the own the
    market.

Console Gaming PlayStation Sony Video Games