Sign in with
Your question

Gaming with 2GB memory.

Last response: in Memory
February 8, 2013 1:22:02 PM

Hi there, I just ordered components for a budget gaming PC from newegg which is due to arrive today but the ram (8GB kit) is coming from amazon and might not get here for at least a week. I have a 2GB stick of DDR3 1066 lying around that I could use in the PC until the 8GB kit arrives, but will my games run horribly with such little ram? I'll be using a 2.9GHz Ivy Bridge Pentium cpu (on par with AMD hexa core when it comes to games) and a Radeon 7870 video card. I'm recycling a lot of parts with this build so I'll also be using a 500GB 5400 rpm laptop drive.

The games I play are TF2, L4D 2, Arma 2/DayZ, WoW MoP, Skyrim, and a little bit of BF3.

edit: also forgot to include that I play at 1080p

More about : gaming 2gb memory

February 8, 2013 1:27:46 PM

FLanighan said:
Hi there, I just ordered components for a budget gaming PC from newegg which is due to arrive today but the ram (8GB kit) is coming from amazon and might not get here for at least a week. I have a 2GB stick of DDR3 1066 lying around that I could use in the PC until the 8GB kit arrives, but will my games run horribly with such little ram? I'll be using a 2.9GHz Ivy Bridge Pentium cpu (on par with AMD hexa core when it comes to games) and a Radeon 7870 video card. I'm recycling a lot of parts with this build so I'll also be using a 500GB 5400 rpm laptop drive.

The games I play are TF2, L4D 2, Arma 2/DayZ, WoW MoP, Skyrim, and a little bit of BF3.

edit: also forgot to include that I play at 1080p

Most of my loaner systems run 2 GB of memory. Until you get your 8 GB kit run limited apps on start-up. Avoid heavy AV like norton 360 or macaffe. Use something like microsoft security essentials for right now. You really need to lose the hard drive as the 5400 RPM will be a speed bottleneck big time, but you should be ok to game. BF3 is most likely going to run like crap, based on your specs, but there is no harm in trying. Let me know how it works out.
m
l
February 8, 2013 1:38:20 PM

Alright, well I'll just be using this computer in my college dorm for games so I don't have to play on my crappy Dell laptop with Intel HD graphics, haha. I'm wondering too if the hardrive will totally screw my performance but I know one other person with a 5400 rpm drive in his desktop and he doesn't seem to be having issues (he has an i7 950 and a 7850)
m
l
February 8, 2013 1:46:00 PM

The hard drive should not be a big issue, but you could definately bring improvement to performance.
m
l
Related resources
!