prbley

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hi

I have an OCZ Silencer 750 Crossfire (ESP12V) model, released in the 3rd quarter of 2007.

Is this PSU cabable or compatible power/connect to a AMD Radeon HD 7850, and new intel X79 mobos?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

You should be fine (for now). Keep in mind that over time all PSU's lose some of their original capacity (eg. a 750 watt will really be on par with a 600 watt). The better built units degrade less (or slower if you will) over a longer period. This is why we all preach to get a good name brand PSU for your build. I've got a couple Antec's in continuous service for 10 years. Nothing critical or demanding mind you - mainly office type tasks. You're lucky. You got one of the better ones for it's time. I don't know if I'd push it with a cfx setup - but then again you might be ok. I won't suggest that you run right out and by a new one - but if you start setting a couple of bucks aside for the inevitable I wouldn't complain either.

I have one of those PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad's. Purchased it back in 2007 and it died three years later. I wasn't even drawing any more than 275 Watts from it. I had it RMA'ed under warranty.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (S75Q), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps and with two 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850 or even two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode.