Upgrading USB 2.0 to 3.0 port?

My case did not come with any front usb 3.0 ports so I want to swap then out. I believe my case allows me to take out the part but I have no idea where I can buy it. It should be a bare USB 3.0 female to whatever number of pins female header cable.

Anyone have a site? peferably located in the US
13 answers Last reply
More about upgrading port
  1. I'm assuming your Motherboard has the 19pin header so depending where you are trying to mount it,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997021
    newegg search term was usb3.0 front panel if you want to check out other options
    Moto
  2. As far as I know you can not simply just swap out your old USB 2 ports for USB 3.
  3. ^no it wouldn't, as long as his Mobo has usb 3.0 support, its more than possible to swap out the panel,
    On an unrelated note, I would remove the weed reference from your tagline, Moderators take a very dim view of drugs and its against the T+c's you agreed to when you signed up,
    Please edit it or you risk being banned,
    Moto
  4. as already said you can put in a front bay panel

or depending on the make of your case you can replace the io ports--what case do you have?

for example on my rv02 i used this to change the io ports--came with all the cables needed even though it

doesnt show them

assuming as mentioned your motherboard has the usb 3.0 header

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-i-o-port-usb-30-module-800-mm-for-ft02-rv02-ps02ps04-sg03sg04sg05sg07-gd04gd05
  5. Yup, I find that a better option than buying a frontpanel unit and stripping it down,
    but like you say, until we know op's case its guesswork :)
    Moto
  6. not looking to replace a whole panel, just a single port. you know how there are front panels cables for usb? I just want to replace one of my cables with a 3.0 one which leads to one usb port.

yes I have a mobo with 3.0 headers. my case (silverstone tj10) just has its own special front panel thing so replacing what is currently a useless firewire port would be perfect.
  7. oh wow! that seems to be exactly the part I'm looking for! is there a place in the US that sells this? ill probably check the price of shipping from the uk myself after I wake up. hard to check on my phone

thanks a lot!
  8. should be available in the usa

just search for the part number G11303500
  9. its available for $12 on ebay. thanks so much!
  10. you are welcome :D
  11. Awesome, I am looking at getting a new system, but am thinking I might use an old case and mod it, or possibly build something from scratch. So glad I will be able to benefit from USB3.0 as well as some esata.

This has defiantly got me thinking a fully custom built case might be the way to go.
  12. ohhgourami said:
    oh wow! that seems to be exactly the part I'm looking for! is there a place in the US that sells this? ill probably check the price of shipping from the uk myself after I wake up. hard to check on my phone

thanks a lot!

Hey dude just wondering if you ever got this part and if it worked or not?
    cheers mac
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases USB3 USB Components Product