Press f2 to load default values and continue

dhsupun

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,

The following messages were appeared on my desktop when I was trying to start my PC and I selected the 2nd option.

Press F1 to run SETUP

Press F2 to load default values and continue

But after loading windows I found out that i have lost all of the files and the installed software recently. The date and time were reset to 01/01/2002 12.00am. Even the user accounts i have created and the PCI Devices were not appeared.

How can i recover my files? Please someone help me.................

Thank YOU

This is a long shot, but do this:
Press Windows+R, then type in rstrui.exe. This will bring up the System Restore feature.

If you come up empty, you can try to recover the files individually with an undelete utility. Two freebies--PC Inspector File Recovery and FreeUndelete--are well worth a try.

But if you've accidentally reformatted a drive, you may need extra data recovery horsepower, QueTek's $49 File Scavenger offers many of the recovery capabilities of far more expensive programs.

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

+1 sound like a Bios Battery issue. All Bios config are back to default which explain problems with windows afterwards.

That is incorrect. The CMOS battery holds the memory for the BIOS; it has no direct effect to Windows. Even if you remove and reinsert (or replace) the CR2032 battery, your files will not be deleted from any storage device.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
they are right folks!!!
The battery is DEAD!!!!oh no!
These are easy to get and easy to change...
Do you remember all your settings in bios?
or was this setup done by a friend or shop?
If so then you would probably need thier help in setting all back to normal..
JQ

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Files are not deleted, but can be inaccessible because of SATA port config changed by default BIOS settings...

That isn't true either. If the SATA configuration was changed by a dead battery, the drive would be inaccessible, but the files contained therein would never be touched. By your logic, we'd also experience operating system failures and file loss for moving the drives to different ports.

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
You are assuming he only have 1 HDD young padawan... He didn't tell anything about his config...

This is the only way those two problems could be linked...

But maybe they are not, maybe he didn't lost anything and he is just paranoi-ing maybe he caught a virus that did both (very unlikely)... Anyway last reply from me on this...

The amount of HDDs is irrelevant. If there are SATA devices connected to SATA ports, POST will determine what to boot first because of boot priority. Even if there is more than one boot sector, user would be prompted to select which sector to boot by choosing the OS on said boot sectors.

Still the point is, even if the default setting changed to legacy mode and no IDE boot devices were installed, POST would show "No boot device found", or something to that effect. If this were the case, his OS would still be intact.

Kamil_B

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hello, I had a same problem with my MSI motherboard. CMOS change resolve this problem only for a few restarts, after that there was a same problem. I found, that it was caused by my "huge" GPU which make a press to my motherboard and make it bend, because I forgot to screw the remaining two screws from my motherboard - case Zalman Z1 Neo was prepared only for 4 positions. After screw 5th and 6th, no problem at all. So be aware of MB bending which probably causes a contact between your CMOS battery and GPU slightly above it.