Is this a CPU problem with BF3?

Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2012 1:10:43 PM

First of my computer spec:

AMD Phenom II x4 945

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

8 GB kingston DDR3 RAM

2x ATI Readeon HD 5770 with crossfire

I'am having problems with stuttering i BF3. It's not there all the time, it comes and goes for time to time and seems very random. This movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6SZVN_OCb4 (not mine) shows about how my stuttering is. And here is a picture of my CPU use during the game . I am not an expert in reading that chart, but I think its a bad sign with those spikes(?). I was running the game on absolute low that round, but still had the stuttering. My FPS was about 50 in average.

So do you guys think my CPU is the problem? I have had problems with this stuttering since the release, but it goes away for a couple of weeks, that come back for a week or two.

More about : cpu problem bf3

April 1, 2012 1:37:29 PM

Yeah i know my CPU is good enough to run the game. But do you think it may be something wrong with it? Or is it normal with the CPU chart in my picture?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 2:09:42 PM

^that was for single player campaign - in multilayer the cpu performance has a bigger impact. Have you tried OCing you cpu?
April 1, 2012 2:32:34 PM

No I have stayed away from OC, as you may expect I'em not the smartes guy when it comes to this :)  I have never tried OC, so I don't know how to do it. But can properly google it if shall try it. Do you think it may help?
But the game runs very fine on medium in the period's when I am not having stuttering problems, so my CPU is up to the job when everything is working properly. I am not even sure if the CPU is the problem, but I don't have any other suspects at the moment :??: 
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 2:44:52 PM

Stuttering problems are related with your Crossfire. It isn´t a CPU related problem.
April 1, 2012 3:27:12 PM

aah, okey. But I have tried without crossfire. I have removed the other graphic card and only used one, and I have tried with both of them separately, but to no help. I still have the problem. I have also cleaned them both as much as possible :??: 
April 1, 2012 4:12:21 PM

Check your voltage and temps. You might be having a vdrop, what psu do you have? I had this issue before with xfire and saw my voltage was going wild, new psu made it all stable. Also do you have the monitor software running on same hard drive as game? that can cause it also.....little more info on your setup pls??
a c 900 à CPUs
April 1, 2012 4:14:33 PM

geekapproved said:
That link has nothing to do with multiplayer BF3, those test are all done in singleplayer.

Understood but the fact remains that the number of cores is the most important and OP has an X4 at 3.0 GHz!
April 1, 2012 4:56:43 PM

XmortisX said:
Check your voltage and temps. You might be having a vdrop, what psu do you have? I had this issue before with xfire and saw my voltage was going wild, new psu made it all stable. Also do you have the monitor software running on same hard drive as game? that can cause it also.....little more info on your setup pls??

My PSU is corsair tx850w. I only have one hard drive so i suppose my monitor software is running on the same. How do I check my voltage and temps? I have CPU-Z and the only place I can see its measuring voltage is core voltage, and that says 0.976 right now when I'am only browsing. Shall I test it when gaming? I can't see temps anywhere in CPU-Z, those that meen I don't have temp measuring then?

Thanks for all the help so far :) 
a c 79 à CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:54:00 PM

Your CPU can run this game in any mode just fine and your usage chart is normal.
As far as the stuttering issue have you tried updating/rolling back the drivers at all ?
There is alot of BF3 stuttering info on the webz, start there.
April 1, 2012 7:05:41 PM

Yeah I have tried very much to fix it. I have disable crossfire, remvoed one of the graphic cards, tried switching them, clean the inside of my computer. Delete the drivers and install older ones, diffrent Catalyst Application Profiles, new virus and firewall programs, and format my computer. After that I installed all the drivers I had during patch number one when the game worked properly, and had only the most basic programs installed on my computer, but to no use. This an more...

I have spent many hours on google becuse of this problem, but have not found any solution yet. So I am about to give up BF3 for good, but i love the game so its a shame..
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 7:16:34 PM

Does it happen only while BF3?
a c 79 à CPUs
April 1, 2012 7:17:29 PM

Graastein said:
Yeah I have tried very much to fix it. I have disable crossfire, remvoed one of the graphic cards, tried switching them, clean the inside of my computer. Delete the drivers and install older ones, diffrent Catalyst Application Profiles, new virus and firewall programs, and format my computer. After that I installed all the drivers I had during patch number one when the game worked properly, and had only the most basic programs installed on my computer, but to no use. This an more...

I have spent many hours on google becuse of this problem, but have not found any solution yet. So I am about to give up BF3 for good, but i love the game so its a shame..

You said the game worked properly with patch #1 ? Maybe it's more an issue with the game not your hardware.
April 1, 2012 8:46:34 PM

I've had endless problems with BF3 running a i7 930 @ 4.3ghz, 6gb ram and twin ati 5870s in crossfire. Tried everything as you have done but seem to have solved the problem by DISABLING MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI-ALIASING under the 3D settings in Catalyst (your video driver software). I was getting lags back to 15fps every 20seconds or so and that has totally disappeared. Also if you have multiple monitors running try unplugging them, just run a single monitor setup. Keen to hear if this works for you. I have seen lots of posts about problems with 5870s in crossfire running BF3 so a similar issue may be present with your 5770s. My wife has now gone back to being a BF3 widow ;-) Post back if it works.
!