Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why is my cpu temp so high or is it normal?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 1, 2012 2:59:40 PM

i just got a new cpu and heat sink

cpu is a phenom II x4 980 1.38 volt 125w 3.7ghz

the heat sink is a cooler master 212 evo

motherboard is an(h-rs880 aloe) this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

and the grapics card is an xfx double dissapation hd 6850


so the temps when i am playing normal games like killing floor,sims3,dirt3,serious sam3 and mirriors edge is about 42c idle is around 30-31c and under max load with prime 95 its at 62c the thermal paste used is the one that came w/ the heat sink my case i a cooler master 932 haf advanced thank you for the help PLEASE NOTE I DID NOT OVERCLOCK AT ALL

see pictures here in spoiler so the page loads faster:) 

Spoiler









i finished the cable routing and it looks alot cleaner i am really happy with how it turned out i also changed the voltage from 1.3750(stock) to 1.3250 to lower temps 1.3125 volts was unstable but i also changed the clock from 3.7ghz(stock) to 3814mhz(3.8ghz) and am now wondering if i can get amd-overdrive to apply this when windows starts as my bios does not let me change anything other than the video connecter and the reason why my temps are so high is because the fan is not running at full speed and the bios does not give me an option to change this if you have any more tips or suggestions that would be really helpfull i now get 60.4c as the max temp with prime

More about : cpu temp high normal

a c 103 à CPUs
April 1, 2012 3:03:22 PM

Do you have one fan or two on the 212?
have you tried lowering the Cpu voltage to see the lowest you can run it with?
and whats the rest of your airflow in the case?
things like cable management can affect temps more than you'd think as well
and if idle is 42'c, whats your ambient room temp?
Moto
m
0
l
April 1, 2012 3:06:06 PM

sorry i forgot the ambient temp is 21c inside my case and only one fan and my cable management is exellent i have ocd if that tells you anything
m
0
l
Related resources
April 1, 2012 3:08:17 PM

and i just read your post again the 1dle is 30c-33c and when i am playing most games it runs at 42c
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 1, 2012 3:35:17 PM

I have Ocd where cables are concerned, I'd like to see a pic though if you can?
if your gaming temps are 42'c I'd not worry however,
I would look to installing more fans in there, I assume your lone fan is the rear exhaust?
unless you meant just one fan on the 212? in that situation I'd add the second fan on there, that will benefit you massively
and for ambient temps, I meant room temp, not the case internal :) 
Moto
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 3:49:28 PM

Hi :) 

Temps are fine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 12:58:50 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I have Ocd where cables are concerned, I'd like to see a pic though if you can?
if your gaming temps are 42'c I'd not worry however,
I would look to installing more fans in there, I assume your lone fan is the rear exhaust?
unless you meant just one fan on the 212? in that situation I'd add the second fan on there, that will benefit you massively
and for ambient temps, I meant room temp, not the case internal :) 
Moto


to see pictures look in the spoiler the only reason it might look messy is because the pcie power connecters and the 4pin cpu power cords are not long eneugh fo the case the temp inside the case is the same as the room temp
m
0
l
a c 76 à CPUs
April 3, 2012 1:02:00 AM

No your temps are fine man. Get some more fans in that case and slap another on the 212+ and your cores will be idling at room temp ! Mine still even with a 1.25 Ghz OC :) 
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 1:05:36 AM

ok thank you all for letting me my temps ar ok. i was just concerned that they where high because the last cpu i had (athlon II x4 620 2.6ghz) w/ stock cooling ran at 29c-35c for games and idle was 19c-24c and prime 95 got max at 53c
m
0
l
a c 76 à CPUs
April 3, 2012 1:11:47 AM

porsht said:
ok thank you all for letting me my temps ar ok. i was just concerned that they where high because the last cpu i had (athlon II x4 620 2.6ghz) w/ stock cooling ran at 29c-35c for games and idle was 19c-24c and prime 95 got max at 53c


I'm sure you could get her alot cooler with some better paste (I recommend Arctic Silver 5) and some better air flow in that case.
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 3, 2012 1:57:28 AM

Links not working dude
Moto
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 2:57:05 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Links not working dude
Moto


i put the pics in the spoiler
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 3, 2012 3:18:26 AM

I thought you had Cable Ocd?
I'll post an Ocd picture when I get to my Pc,
You may find however if you flip your Psu the 'right' way up, those Pcie cables have enough length on them to route around back,
I'd also experiment with the 212's fan, the way it is now, its fighting the roof fan, try flipping it to push towards the roof, may get one or three degrees drop there just from doing that
Moto
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 6:25:29 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I thought you had Cable Ocd?
I'll post an Ocd picture when I get to my Pc,
You may find however if you flip your Psu the 'right' way up, those Pcie cables have enough length on them to route around back,
I'd also experiment with the 212's fan, the way it is now, its fighting the roof fan, try flipping it to push towards the roof, may get one or three degrees drop there just from doing that
Moto


cant flip the psu cus then it will intake from the floor and this case dosent have dust filters and the fan at the top runs really slow so it wont do any thing i think i will give it a try
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 3, 2012 6:52:27 PM

You can always get the drill out and make a load of 3/4mm holes in the floor underneath the Psu to allow air in, and any mesh/sponge type stuff will filter (not that you really need it on a Psu)
Larger fans do run slower, but they still move a good amount of air, its just quieter,
Modding is the way to clean cases hehe :) 

Moto
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 10:06:41 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You can always get the drill out and make a load of 3/4mm holes in the floor underneath the Psu to allow air in, and any mesh/sponge type stuff will filter (not that you really need it on a Psu)
Larger fans do run slower, but they still move a good amount of air, its just quieter,
Modding is the way to clean cases hehe :) 

Moto


i tried switching the heatsinks fan around and it got hotter temps?? i thinking thet that is because it was pulling air hot air from the back of the gpu
so i switched it back to normal and swaped the psu to the "right" way up and got the cables to wrap around the back of the case
i also changed the voltage from 1.3750(stock) to 1.3250 to lower temps 1.3125 volts was unstable but i also changed the clock from 3.7ghz(stock) to 3814mhz(3.8ghz) and am now wondering if i can get amd-overdrive to apply this when windows starts as my bios does not let me change anything other than the video connecter and the reason why my temps are so high is because the fan is not running at full speed and the bios does not give me an option to change this if you have any more tips or suggestions that would be really helpfull thank you so much for all of your help so far i added pics of the overclock and the clean up of my cables to the spoiler
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 2:37:50 PM

still not resolved
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 29, 2012 2:42:44 PM

The way your heatsink is in that last pic,
its pushing air through the Hs onto the gfx card, you really should have that Hs mounted vertically, with the fans blowing towards the rear of the case,
I would also ditch Amd overdrivel and overclock properly, I never got good results with it when I started clocking,
Psu good now, and cables better,
sort the heatsink out and see if you can get another fan on it, that will help out a lot
I'd also look to replacing that mobo, it only has a 4pin for the Cpu power, no real Nb cooling
Moto
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 3:19:16 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The way your heatsink is in that last pic,
its pushing air through the Hs onto the gfx card, you really should have that Hs mounted vertically, with the fans blowing towards the rear of the case,
I would also ditch Amd overdrivel and overclock properly, I never got good results with it when I started clocking,
Psu good now, and cables better,
sort the heatsink out and see if you can get another fan on it, that will help out a lot
I'd also look to replacing that mobo, it only has a 4pin for the Cpu power, no real Nb cooling
Moto

the mobo does need to be replaced but its to much of a bother and it doesent even have one 4 pin fan connecter and the heat sink is like that because i had some one do it for me and they put it one like that (they did it for free)
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 29, 2012 3:44:51 PM

Ok, well google 'mounting H212' or similar and you'll see the 'right' way of mounting them,
you don't need fan connectors on the mobo, you can plug them straight off the Psu or a fancontroller,
I'm sure I can see a 3pin Cha_fan socket there though as well as the Cpu's fan socket,
with it being an oem type mobo though, you can't expect bells and whistles, its one of the ways they save money
Moto
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 4:10:30 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ok, well google 'mounting H212' or similar and you'll see the 'right' way of mounting them,
you don't need fan connectors on the mobo, you can plug them straight off the Psu or a fancontroller,
I'm sure I can see a 3pin Cha_fan socket there though as well as the Cpu's fan socket,
with it being an oem type mobo though, you can't expect bells and whistles, its one of the ways they save money
Moto

did you ever get around to those ocd pics?
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
April 29, 2012 4:27:34 PM

I totally forgot hehe, brb,

its a little different now, I added the graphics cards to the waterloop on friday so I still need to tidy things up but,

is that Ocd enough?
:p 
Moto
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 1:08:04 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I totally forgot hehe, brb,
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Psycho%20Rider/IMAG0501.jpg
its a little different now, I added the graphics cards to the waterloop on friday so I still need to tidy things up but,
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Tomsdiagrams/IMAG0560.jpg
is that Ocd enough?
:p 
Moto

i thought mine was bad .. i have decided that this mobo would be best suiting what do you think? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
m
0
l
!