How To Share Files Between 98 & XP?

I have two machines, one W98SE, the other WXP PRO.
They are linked to each other via a D-Link Router.
Independent and simultaneous internet access works fine.
Printing on a USB HP printer connected to XP machine from 98 machine
works fine.

I need to move files back and forth between the two machines.
I have successfully set things up so that:
1) I can view the folders (and files) on the XP machine from the 98
machine, using Network Neighborhood.
2) I can view the folders (and files) on the 98 machine from the XP
machine, using My Network Places>View workgroup Computers.

What I can't do is copy or move folders and/or files either way. I
get an error saying network access is denied and that I need
permissions. For 2 days I have been trying to deal with this problem.
I am tired! Can someone help me?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about share files

    Have you set up the folders (or drive) so that they are shared and
    have full access (read write). They may be set to read only and not
    shared.
    TonySper

    <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    I have two machines, one W98SE, the other WXP PRO.
    They are linked to each other via a D-Link Router.
    Independent and simultaneous internet access works fine.
    Printing on a USB HP printer connected to XP machine from 98 machine
    works fine.

    I need to move files back and forth between the two machines.
    I have successfully set things up so that:
    1) I can view the folders (and files) on the XP machine from the 98
    machine, using Network Neighborhood.
    2) I can view the folders (and files) on the 98 machine from the XP
    machine, using My Network Places>View workgroup Computers.

    What I can't do is copy or move folders and/or files either way. I
    get an error saying network access is denied and that I need
    permissions. For 2 days I have been trying to deal with this problem.
    I am tired! Can someone help me?

    Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:02:57 -0400, "TonySper"
    <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Have you set up the folders (or drive) so that they are shared and
    >have full access (read write). They may be set to read only and not
    >shared.
    >TonySper

    You are right! I thought I had set things at 'full access' (read &
    write), but I hadn't. Now all is okay.

    Last questions - how vulnerable are my folders & files now? I have
    them flagged as accessible, so now I have to worry about the outside
    world. If I buy & install a firewall such as Norton Personal
    Firewall, will it block outside access to those folders & files
    despite their access having been set as readable & writeable?
    Conversely, will I have to disable the firewall in order to share
    between my machines? I imagine I will. And lastly, as I see it,
    I will have to power off my external cable modem while the firewall is
    disabled in order to block outside-world access while the firewall is
    disabled?

    Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

    | On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:02:57 -0400, "TonySper"
    | <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    |
    | >Have you set up the folders (or drive) so that they are shared and
    | >have full access (read write). They may be set to read only and not
    | >shared.
    | >TonySper
    | >

    | You are right! I thought I had set things at 'full access' (read &
    | write), but I hadn't. Now all is okay.
    |
    | Last questions - how vulnerable are my folders & files now? I have
    | them flagged as accessible, so now I have to worry about the outside
    | world. If I buy & install a firewall such as Norton Personal
    | Firewall, will it block outside access to those folders & files
    | despite their access having been set as readable & writeable?
    | Conversely, will I have to disable the firewall in order to share
    | between my machines? I imagine I will. And lastly, as I see it,
    | I will have to power off my external cable modem while the firewall is
    | disabled in order to block outside-world access while the firewall is
    | disabled?
    |

    | Thanks

    If your router does not incorporate an actual hardware firewall it's
    probably a good idea to run a software firewall.

    Zonealarm's free version is capable and makes it easy to place your LAN
    computers (the one's behind your router) in it's "trusted" zone so
    file/printer sharing will not be affected while still protecting in/outbound
    traffic to and from the Internet.

    I'm sure Norton's and other commercial products have a similar capability. I
    personally prefer not to spend when a free alternative is available. ;-)

    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

    I use the Firewall that comes with XP. You can set up the Firewall to
    protect from the internet but also allow your LAN access to the data.
    There are two different setting that you go through. You can set up
    the LAN to only allow files and the internet firewall to protect all.
    Go to START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORKCONNECTIONS and then look at their
    properties. Only allow the LAN access to the files.
    TonySper

    <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:02:57 -0400, "TonySper"
    <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Have you set up the folders (or drive) so that they are shared and
    >have full access (read write). They may be set to read only and not
    >shared.
    >TonySper

    You are right! I thought I had set things at 'full access' (read &
    write), but I hadn't. Now all is okay.

    Last questions - how vulnerable are my folders & files now? I have
    them flagged as accessible, so now I have to worry about the outside
    world. If I buy & install a firewall such as Norton Personal
    Firewall, will it block outside access to those folders & files
    despite their access having been set as readable & writeable?
    Conversely, will I have to disable the firewall in order to share
    between my machines? I imagine I will. And lastly, as I see it,
    I will have to power off my external cable modem while the firewall is
    disabled in order to block outside-world access while the firewall is
    disabled?

    Thanks
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

    Nope I am wrong. Since SP2 there seems to be only one firewall that
    set both internet and LAN but you can put exceptions on the firewall
    so that you can access files. I still am confused on why they changed
    it to one firewall setting. I am thinking when I had only SP1 I could
    set up a Firewall on one and not the other but then I forget who I am
    sometimes.
    TonySper

    "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    I use the Firewall that comes with XP. You can set up the Firewall to
    protect from the internet but also allow your LAN access to the data.
    There are two different setting that you go through. You can set up
    the LAN to only allow files and the internet firewall to protect all.
    Go to START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORKCONNECTIONS and then look at their
    properties. Only allow the LAN access to the files.
    TonySper

    <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:02:57 -0400, "TonySper"
    <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Have you set up the folders (or drive) so that they are shared and
    >have full access (read write). They may be set to read only and not
    >shared.
    >TonySper

    You are right! I thought I had set things at 'full access' (read &
    write), but I hadn't. Now all is okay.

    Last questions - how vulnerable are my folders & files now? I have
    them flagged as accessible, so now I have to worry about the outside
    world. If I buy & install a firewall such as Norton Personal
    Firewall, will it block outside access to those folders & files
    despite their access having been set as readable & writeable?
    Conversely, will I have to disable the firewall in order to share
    between my machines? I imagine I will. And lastly, as I see it,
    I will have to power off my external cable modem while the firewall is
    disabled in order to block outside-world access while the firewall is
    disabled?

    Thanks

Configuration Windows XP