Sign in with
Your question

Building new System need suggestions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:57:26 PM

Hi All -

About two years ago I built a system with a lot of suggestions from this board (Thanks again!)

I've been pretty happy with it, but it's time to upgrade and I'm thinking about building another new system. Last time I spent about $800 and built this:
Rosewill Case, 3 fans, 700w power supply
Gigabyte MoBo: GA-MA790X-UD4P 790X RT
AMD Phenom II X4 940 BLK 3.0G RT
SAPPHIRE HD5870 2GB
Samsung DVD burner (average)
4 GB Ram, 640 GB HD
Windows XP Pro

This time around, I will go Nvidia, and I'm considering Intel instead of AMD. And I believe I'll use Windows 7 64bit.

So, what can you suggest for about $600 (I'll need about $200 for the case, PS, DVD, etc):
CPU?
MoBo?
Graphics Card?

Thanks...
a c 159 à CPUs
April 1, 2012 6:21:40 PM

I suggest you sell your old system first and add to the budget pot. Intel will cost you more; by the time you sell it, Ivy bridge may be out. You can continue to use it and take as long as necessary to wait for a decent offer.
April 1, 2012 6:41:18 PM

o1die said:
I suggest you sell your old system first and add to the budget pot. Intel will cost you more; by the time you sell it, Ivy bridge may be out. You can continue to use it and take as long as necessary to wait for a decent offer.

^ +1.

@Wayneh do you intend on keeping your current build? if not then definitely you should sell then wait. :D 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 6:46:16 PM

go Ivy bridge and wait for the rest of the Nvidia 600 series to come along before choosing GPU
April 1, 2012 9:41:30 PM

I doubt I'd sell - I'll probably give it to my wife - she's got a 6 year old Dell that is near painful.
What's the due date on Ivy and the 600 series?

I was looking at the Intel i5-2250K - no choices on the Graphics Card yet, no moBo yet.

Not sure if it's worth paying the extra for Intel, or going with AMD again.
!