Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Help with Battlefield GPU Selection.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 28, 2011 6:33:13 AM

GTX 460 or GTX 560 ti

Obviously I know that the GTX 560 ti performs better than the 460 in almost everyway,but I'm on a budget.
I'm playing on a 1400x900 resolution and was wondering how the 460 would perform;High or Medium settings? I'm using a AMD Phenom X4 @3.2GHz and 4GBs of RAM. If the 460 is good enough on that resolution I would like to choose that one.

Thank you in advance.
October 28, 2011 6:47:47 AM

You should be able to get 60 FPS with the 460 on medium, and with the 560ti crank nearly everything to max and still have silky frames.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 6:55:27 AM

Do you think that having some settings on High settings would be too much for the 460?
Score
0
Related resources
October 28, 2011 7:19:06 AM

No, I ran the beta on a single 460 (by accident, since I had just installed the beta drivers and not enabled SLI again) and it defaulted to a mix of med and high settings and ran just fine at 1080p.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 10:18:14 AM

at that resolution you should be able to play at high or ultra settings. Ive seen a few videos from HD 5770 owners playing BF3 @ 720p using ultra settings, very smooth and no issues with fps.

I'm not familiar with AMD cpu, is that OC'd or not?

here you can see the GTX 460 comparison with HD 5770:
http://www.hwcompare.com/8267/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-ra...

so at that res I'd be surprised if you couldn't achieve high/ultra

why a GTX 460? are you buying used or new? I ask because GTX 560 and GTX 460 tend to be the same price bracket (maybe 10 quid difference), whilst the 560Ti may cost 30 quid more

have you any specific cards in mind?

if you do go for GTX 460 I can highly recommend Gigabyte GTX 460 SuperOverclock, I have one - it's awesome and it is rarely (if ever) beaten on bang4buck (performance for price point) - it is easily overclocked to 900MHz on the core.

chaz



Score
0
October 28, 2011 10:42:19 AM

On the CPU front, BF3 is quite well optimized for 4 cores, I'm not sure exactly what model you have (it seems that you're running a first-gen Phenom) but my Phenom II at 3.8 GHz almost completely unbottlenecks my GTX 460s; at any rate, it can push a minimum of 60 FPS.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 10:56:59 AM

gtx 570 , save some more :p 
Score
0
October 28, 2011 11:03:20 AM

At those resolutions the 460 (1gb version) should be more than tnought for ultra settings with around 40 fps.

That resolution is frankly very low, so should be no problem.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 11:08:42 AM

if you wanna cheap then the 460 is good
Score
0
October 28, 2011 11:10:20 AM

cyberkuberiah said:
gtx 570 , save some more :p 

ha! he's on a budget and you are suggesting gtx570.

@Anthony1025

if you want to run bf3 on high or max then gtx560ti is fine.i am not sure with your cpu but you will be fine.
or if you want to save money than gtx460 is not bad choice but on medium-high
Score
0

Best solution

October 28, 2011 12:24:44 PM

Tomshardware Battlefield 3 Benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-pe...

A GTX 460 will be more than enough for Battlefield 3 with 1400x900

The GTX 460 gets 46fps on "High" settings at 1680x1050 so with 1400x900 the FPS will be slightly more. I'd say around 50fps, and if your happy to settle for medium settings it should be closer to 60fps.
Share
October 28, 2011 4:41:59 PM

cps1974 said:
at that resolution you should be able to play at high or ultra settings. Ive seen a few videos from HD 5770 owners playing BF3 @ 720p using ultra settings, very smooth and no issues with fps.

I'm not familiar with AMD cpu, is that OC'd or not?

here you can see the GTX 460 comparison with HD 5770:
http://www.hwcompare.com/8267/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-ra...

so at that res I'd be surprised if you couldn't achieve high/ultra

why a GTX 460? are you buying used or new? I ask because GTX 560 and GTX 460 tend to be the same price bracket (maybe 10 quid difference), whilst the 560Ti may cost 30 quid more

have you any specific cards in mind?

if you do go for GTX 460 I can highly recommend Gigabyte GTX 460 SuperOverclock, I have one - it's awesome and it is rarely (if ever) beaten on bang4buck (performance for price point) - it is easily overclocked to 900MHz on the core.

chaz
No,that CPU is not OC'd.

I've been up for a while on Newegg and since I'm on a budget,i've decied between a 460 or 560 ti. The 460 costs roughly around $189 and the 560 ti is $240. I know that overall the 560 would be much better,but since I'm playing on a some-what small resolution I thought that the 460 would be sufficient and would save me $50. I planned on upgrading later in 2012 when the Kepler GPUs come out.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 4:45:49 PM

cyberkuberiah said:
gtx 570 , save some more :p 
If i were an adult I could easily save up a sufficient amount of money to buy it,but I'm only 15. I have to ask mommy and daddy :D 
Score
0
October 28, 2011 4:48:17 PM

Gothams Finest said:
Tomshardware Battlefield 3 Benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-pe...

A GTX 460 will be more than enough for Battlefield 3 with 1400x900

The GTX 460 gets 46fps on "High" settings at 1680x1050 so with 1400x900 the FPS will be slightly more. I'd say around 50fps, and if your happy to settle for medium settings it should be closer to 60fps.
Thanks for the article. I know that FPS are very important,so is 50fps good enough?
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:00:55 PM

I bought a GTX 560 Superclocked edition (not ti) for Battlefield 3 and the game is gorgeous! It runs great! now I just need a new PSU to help it! :p  But I have played Battlefield 3 with the card and I had everything on max settings except for AA and like a said gorgeous! I was on a budget too, I don't regret buying this card one bit!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050I1PGU/ref=oh_o02_...

They do have a superclocked edition of the TI too, it just wouldnt fit in my case:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-PCI-Exp....

Plus comes with free Batman Arkham City!
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:04:46 PM

All of this information sounds great to me. Also,while I'm here I've been hearing a lot about Nvidia cards having driver related issues and artifacting problems. Is this true?
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:07:39 PM

no problems here, system specs in sig
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:15:05 PM

No problems on my end, I'm running 52 FPS with everything on Ultra @1920x1080. Which is stunning since I'm getting more then the Reviews are getting.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:15:23 PM

pache59 said:
I bought a GTX 560 Superclocked edition (not ti) for Battlefield 3 and the game is gorgeous! It runs great! now I just need a new PSU to help it! :p  But I have played Battlefield 3 with the card and I had everything on max settings except for AA and like a said gorgeous! I was on a budget too, I don't regret buying this card one bit!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050I1PGU/ref=oh_o02_...

They do have a superclocked edition of the TI too, it just wouldnt fit in my case:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-PCI-Exp....

Plus comes with free Batman Arkham City!
I would like a 560,but I don't know if my case is large enough to hold. Also,I don't know if my CPU would bottleneck the card or if my PSU is strong enough.

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

PSU : OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

Case : Cooler Master 310 Mid-Case [http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...]
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:18:42 PM

Battlefield 3 isn't that demanding on CPU.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:22:39 PM

Battlefield 3 will easily run well on a dual core CPU with very little FPS loss.



Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:34:07 PM

Anthony1025 said:
I would like a 560,but I don't know if my case is large enough to hold. Also,I don't know if my CPU would bottleneck the card or if my PSU is strong enough.

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

PSU : OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

Case : Cooler Master 310 Mid-Case [http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...]



It should fit its about 8 inches long.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:49:10 PM

Best answer selected by Anthony1025.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:50:15 PM

Well,I guess my situation has been resolved. Thank you to everyone who replied and helped me;I appreciate all of it. This is the first time I've actually made a thread on Tomshardware and everyone was helpful. Thanks again.

I'll pick gothemsfinest for having the best answer.
Score
0
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2011 6:07:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!