Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Failed Memory, twice in a row.

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
February 8, 2013 7:31:45 PM

Hey guys, I've been having issues with the memory in my PC, the strange thing is with two, unrelated sets of ram.

Here's the full story: On October 2012 I built a new comp with the following specs:

- Intel i5 3570k
- Corsair Vengeance 1600 8gb(2x4gb) on dual channel
- MSI z77ma-g45 (revision 1.0)
- Coolermaster M2 Silent Pro 720w
- EVGA GTX660TI

I started using this PC with no OC, no modifications on BIOS aside from changing the ram to work on XMP, no new firmware update; everything was literally default. For a month the PC worked just fine but at some point I started to get bluescreens. After the typical troubleshooting I found there was a faulty memory module and I replaced both modules with new ones, same brand and speeds. With the new ram I decided to make some tests such as memtest86+, prime95, etc for several days finding no problems. After that I flashed the BIOS to the latest version. Now that every part seemed to work with no problems I decided to go for a decent OC, getting the CPU up to 4.5GHZ stable(ran prime95 for a couple of days with no issues). Everything worked fine for the next months, mainly playing games and recording my playthroughs, but at some point in January I started to get bluescreens again. I checked with memtest and found one module/stick was completely dead.

So my questions are, am I so unlucky that I got two faulty rams in a row or is there something in my system that is frying them? Is this even possible? I've been using one stick of ram(4gb) for the past month, and so far everything is working fine but I'm expecting this one to fail as well. I also checked the processor/socket and I didn't find any bent pins.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: Both modules from the two sets were in dual channel, and both on the same slot died.

More about : failed memory row

February 8, 2013 8:54:51 PM

YetAnotherUser said:
Hey guys, I've been having issues with the memory in my PC, the strange thing is with two, unrelated sets of ram.

Here's the full story: On October 2012 I built a new comp with the following specs:

- Intel i5 3570k
- Corsair Vengeance 1600 8gb(2x4gb) on dual channel
- MSI z77ma-g45 (revision 1.0)
- Coolermaster M2 Silent Pro 720w
- EVGA GTX660TI

I started using this PC with no OC, no modifications on BIOS aside from changing the ram to work on XMP, no new firmware update; everything was literally default. For a month the PC worked just fine but at some point I started to get bluescreens. After the typical troubleshooting I found there was a faulty memory module and I replaced both modules with new ones, same brand and speeds. With the new ram I decided to make some tests such as memtest86+, prime95, etc for several days finding no problems. After that I flashed the BIOS to the latest version. Now that every part seemed to work with no problems I decided to go for a decent OC, getting the CPU up to 4.5GHZ stable(ran prime95 for a couple of days with no issues). Everything worked fine for the next months, mainly playing games and recording my playthroughs, but at some point in January I started to get bluescreens again. I checked with memtest and found one module/stick was completely dead.

So my questions are, am I so unlucky that I got two faulty rams in a row or is there something in my system that is frying them? Is this even possible? I've been using one stick of ram(4gb) for the past month, and so far everything is working fine but I'm expecting this one to fail as well. I also checked the processor/socket and I didn't find any bent pins.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: Both modules from the two sets were in dual channel, and both on the same slot died.

If I had two Corsair Vengeance memory sticks that worked but then died in the same mb slot I would point at a motherboard or power supply problem. Check the voltage setting in the Bios for the memory and check what voltage the Bios is saying is coming out. Install something like CPU-Z and monitor your voltage.
Score
February 8, 2013 9:14:04 PM

^
Voltage for the memory has been in all cases 1.5v, which is the default and the one advertised by Corsair. I have CPU-Z and OCCT installed; core voltage has changed several times.

If I remember correctly, the original vcore was 0.9x iddle up to 1.10 on turbo boost/3.7ghz. Currently @4.4ghz, vcore is 1.14 iddle up to 1.15.

Edit: Also the vcore changed a lot from one bios version to the next; I remember the voltage going up by 0.25 both iddle and load after one specific version.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
February 8, 2013 10:10:09 PM

You can be unlucky, I had a problem once with my old AMD x6 1090T machine where i went through 2 kits of 4x4 memory that died, changed to a different brand (same specs, speed and voltage) and no problems

Sometimes they do have Bad batches or batches prone to failure, happens with all electronics
February 8, 2013 10:16:38 PM

kitsunestarwind said:
You can be unlucky, I had a problem once with my old AMD x6 1090T machine where i went through 2 kits of 4x4 memory that died, changed to a different brand (same specs, speed and voltage) and no problems

Sometimes they do have Bad batches or batches prone to failure, happens with all electronics

It just seems suspect that both failures came from the same slot.
Score
a c 109 } Memory
February 8, 2013 10:33:44 PM

You could have been just unlucky.
I suspect so.

But, Corsair has a lifetime warranty. I suggest you contact their support.
They should be most interested in this.

Memtest86+ is the gold standard for testing ram.
Score
February 11, 2013 1:43:08 AM

Alright, for now, I guess I was just unlucky with the ram batches. The next step is to get new ram; if anything goes wrong again I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for your replies.
Score
February 11, 2013 1:43:38 AM

Best answer selected by YetAnotherUser.
Score
!