Interested in upgrading 9600gt for a 2 year-old pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimrodta

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hi all,

New to the forum, and would appreciate your input.
I'm looking for a quick and simple upgrade for my graphic card, in order to get better performance for newer video games.

My current card is 9600gt 1gb (which I was quite happy with for the past two years).

My system specs:
Intel quad 2.8GHz q9550 (no-overclocking).
4gb ram
Windows 7 64bit
400W power supply
1680x1050 screen resolution

I would like to get a noticeable improvements to performance, but I'm not expecting to run things on "Ultra".
Is it possible to only upgrade the video card, given the system specs?

Final note, I prefer to get an nvidia card; just being a loyal customer...

Thanks.

Solution
You will need a power supply upgrade as well, I suggest an antech 550w; it is a great price right now on newegg and A 560ti will be a nice balance to your system as well as keep you happy for every game you play. Have fun and happy gaming. What is your budget as it will help determine our suggestions for you
You will need a power supply upgrade as well, I suggest an antech 550w; it is a great price right now on newegg and A 560ti will be a nice balance to your system as well as keep you happy for every game you play. Have fun and happy gaming. What is your budget as it will help determine our suggestions for you

Solution

romany8806

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Re the above link - those power draw figures will be with a less thirsty CPU than your C2Q 9550 - but don't forget to subtract about ~20% from those peak figures for actual PSU draw, since those figures were taken from the wall.

PSU will most likely be fine with a lower end GPU (6870 would be here an option IF and ONLY IF its a good brand PSU).
I dont think its any worth it getting a better gpu than a 6870 or a 560 Ti (new revision when it comes out) since i have 1900x1080p and so far a 1st version 560 Ti is enought for MOST games in max settings. Maybe not in like 2-3 games, but thats it.

nimrodta

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for all the quick and useful comments!
Indeed, I had my eyes set on the 560ti but I was afraid I'm aiming too high.

Regarding the budget - It's not really an issue, as long as it's cheaper than buying a new pc.
I though about buying the best card I can benefit from given my other specs. If I need to spend a little extra for a new PSU, it's no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.