Your question

When adding ram to a pc...

Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR3
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
February 8, 2013 9:02:47 PM

Do I need to add 2 sticks into the corresponding slots? My setup currently contains 2 g-skill ddr3 sticks at 2gb each, but I'm interested in purchasing a Super Talent 4gb ddr3 1333 stick to add to my pc (I have 2 extra slots available). Would I benefit more if I get 2x2gb sticks or this 1x4gb stick and have an empty slot? Is it possible to just have one 4gb stick in one slot without needing another 4gb stick?

More about : adding ram

a b } Memory
February 8, 2013 9:18:20 PM

Here are some things you need to know:

1. Occupying four slots often requires increasing DRAM voltage in the BIOS to attain stabililty

2. Mixing your RAM is not recommended. While it may work, you'll be limited to the higher latency; the higher voltage; and the lower frequency. This may be a problem if the higher voltage is too high for one or more of your other modules in the combination.

3. Dual channel increases RAM processing ability by doubling the bandwidth. Dual channel can only be activated when following these guidelines:
Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
Same capacity (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, etc.)
Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels

4. Depending on your OS and chipset, you may not be able to use more than 3.XX GB.

That said, without knowing the specs on your system, it would be impossible to tell you what you'd benefit more from.
m
l
February 8, 2013 9:24:58 PM

My pc specs are as follows:
AMD A8 3850 apu w/ Radeon HD 6550D
BIOSTAR MOBO TA75M+
4gb ram (2x2gb G-Skill)
Windows 7 Pro
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 8, 2013 9:26:02 PM

When upgrading ram it is best to replace all ram with a kit - in your case an 8Gb kit such as the Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - you might check you motherboard's QVL for compatible memory.
You can add an additional stick of ram but depending upon the motherboard, you may lose all dual channel function (if applicable) and there is no guarantee that the ram will work together at all which is why a kit is suggested. Even if you were to get two more identical memory modules as the GSkill you have in there, there is a chance they will not like each other but... that would be the best option outside of a whole new kit.
My $0.02 worth
m
l
February 8, 2013 9:55:14 PM

C12Friedman said:
When upgrading ram it is best to replace all ram with a kit - in your case an 8Gb kit such as the Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - you might check you motherboard's QVL for compatible memory.
You can add an additional stick of ram but depending upon the motherboard, you may lose all dual channel function (if applicable) and there is no guarantee that the ram will work together at all which is why a kit is suggested. Even if you were to get two more identical memory modules as the GSkill you have in there, there is a chance they will not like each other but... that would be the best option outside of a whole new kit.
My $0.02 worth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-Series-F3-12800...

Is this good?
m
l
a b } Memory
February 8, 2013 10:12:32 PM

There are a couple things that come to mind...

1. No guarantee the RAM works
2. RAM is good if it works, but may not work(well) if you mix it with your current modules

m
l
February 8, 2013 10:20:38 PM

T_T said:
There are a couple things that come to mind...

1. No guarantee the RAM works
2. RAM is good if it works, but may not work(well) if you mix it with your current modules

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-Series-F3-12800...

I found these online, I found out my current ram is 1333 and these listed are 1600. Would that cause any issues?
m
l
a b } Memory
February 8, 2013 10:31:39 PM

Other than they may not play well together... if they do work, they will work at the slowest clock speeds (1333MHz) but the latencies may be lowered some on the 1600MHz stuff (possibly)
m
l
February 8, 2013 10:43:24 PM

C12Friedman said:
Other than they may not play well together... if they do work, they will work at the slowest clock speeds (1333MHz) but the latencies may be lowered some on the 1600MHz stuff (possibly)

So the speed will only be lowered to the Hz of the lower ones? I have no problem with that. I'm looking for more memory speed and the differences between 1600 and 1333 don't blow my mind. If I pair them respectively I will receive 8gb of ddr3 ram at 1333 right?
m
l
a b } Memory
February 8, 2013 10:54:19 PM

Theoretically, yes, but that is assuming they work together, and also assuming the kit on eBay works.

Here's the low down on mixing RAM:

1. results in lowest frequency of the combo
2. you need to set the DRAM voltage to the highest of the combo
3. the RAM will have to be set to the highest latency

If the the two RAM kits have different voltage requirements, there is a possibility that the kit with the lower voltage will become unstable, or worse fry.
m
l
!