2 cores hot....2 cores not

joe_967

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hey all, I have a Q6600 and thermalright ultra 120. I have 2 cores running 11 celcius hotter than the other 2 when I overclock. On Coretemp the hot cores are 0 and 1. Why is this, and what can I do? I originally had a ocz vendetta cpu fan, and believed it was the problem. Now I have the thermalright and there it is again?

Thanks for your input.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Is the heatsink level on the CPU? Maybe it has more contact with one of the sides than the other? Check if the CPU or the heatsink are concave/convex, and if they're not, re-apply thermal paste and see what happens. If they are, you can RMA the one that isn't straight or lap it.

jbj190

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
dragonsprayer: No, you're wrong. Tcase is in the geometric center, tjunctions are within the cores themselves so in the ideal situation, tjunction temperatures should be equal. But CPUs are less than ideal because of uneven contact surfaces and microscopic differences between cores, leading to uneven temperatures.

@OP: Your problem is probably caused by an uneven heatsink base or IHS. Reseat the heatsink, making sure to not use too much thermal paste.

joe_967

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hi guys, I reseated, and still have the same problem. I guess there's nothing I can really do huh? How bad is it to have a 70C core if running prime95 is stable?

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Actually I have the same problem with my q6600. at idle my core temps are:

core0: 36c
core1: 36c
core2: 27c
core3: 28c

Under load the temp difference between the hot pair and the cold pair closes to about 6c difference. I have tried reinstalling my zalman 9700 but everytime I do the AS5 looks nice, thin and even. Even reading the temp sensors directly they report those same core temps. The hotter ones fit perfectly in proportion to my CPU temp, but the colder ones are just too cold! I keep forgetting to check if either the IHS or HSF are concave/convex, but regardless, i think lapping both is going to be my next step!