Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Homebuilt computer issues - slowness, freezing crashing (details below

Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2011 5:12:07 PM

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Long time member here, though havent been too active recently :(  Any help would be much appreciated :D 

So here is the issue:

I have about a one year old computer here with a xfx 5870, x4 965, 4gb ram, etc. For the last couple of weeks I have been having some issues with it. At first it just felt a bit slower than usual both in just general computing and games. Eventually however, one day, Windows 7 crashed and upon start-up it came up with a 'disk read error'. However, after I restarted, it managed to get onto windows again but, the startup took quite a long time. Since then, I have tried changing the hard drive to one that I knew was working, re-installed windows, however, it is now doing the same exact thing. When I do get the computer working, it will eventually crash after about 20 minutes of use and during then it is quite slow anyway. Like it will have to stop and think when I press 'my computer'. Luckily, it has just been christmas so I do have a bit of money to spend on any parts if need be. Any help to track down the culprit would be much appreciated :D  If you need any more information, do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks all.
December 26, 2011 5:30:32 PM

Do you have some spare memory sitting around / If so I'd swap the RAM, even for a smaller amount, and see if that stabilized the system. Could be that one of them is acting up, or somehow not seated right!

Next check would be the CPU. Is the cooler/fan working properly? Maybe the CPU is overheating and slowed down as a result?

m
l
December 26, 2011 5:46:23 PM

Thanks freggo for your fast reply, I just checked my cpu temp using Speedfan and it is sitting at 40C which I think is ok. Do you have an idea what 'AUX' is cause that is my highest temp at 50C. I do indeed have some spare RAM sitting around, and will also open up my system to check if it is seated properly! Will post back the results later today :D  Would you rule out the HDD cause this is the third one I've tried and it is still the same issue?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2011 6:15:26 PM

I would rule out the HD since you had 3 of them already and the RAM because RAM is usually as bad as it is going to get on day 1 except in the case of some exceptional event.

The first thing I would switch out is the PSU. Those age faster than most everything else.

What PSU do you have now?

Do you have any opportunity to switch it out with something else? Borrowing one from someone/somewhere perhaps?

I would generally think that "Disk Read Error" means bad hard drive, but if you tried 3 and they all did the same thing, then I would secondarily consider replacing the motherboard.

I guess I could see CPU overheating too. Try taking the side of the case off of the PC and see if it keeps going like that. I would hazard a guess that it will because CPU overheating sounds a but unlikely in my experience, but its not a hard or costly thing to attempt.
December 26, 2011 6:34:57 PM

Hey Raiddinn, Merry Christmas and thankyou very much for your long and informative reply. Interestingly, around 6 months ago my psu did go however, as it was under warranty, I managed to get a new one. It is, quoting my newegg order, '1 x XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply'. I may be able to borrow one from my bro, however, I would like to leave that as a last resort because I dont think he will be very happy with me if I start taking his comp apart :/  My motherboard, which to be honest has not impressed me very much, is a '1 x ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard'. Do you think that I should just buy a new processor and motherboard?

Thankyou all so far for all your help. Much appreciated.
m
l
December 26, 2011 6:40:59 PM

I can't honestly suggest to switch the processor and motherboard before trying a different PSU, but if you really would like to save that step until after trying a different PSU and motherboard then I guess it is on you.

Try a regular P8Z68 motherboard with an i2500k. The RAM from your current board will probably work in the new one if it is decent RAM.
m
l
December 26, 2011 6:42:10 PM

Ok, will report back to you in a bit. Thankyou very much.
m
l
December 26, 2011 10:29:31 PM

Ok guys, this afternoon, I took my PC apart, swapped around the RAM and also changed the SATA cable going to hard drive. So far, it seems to be performing much better. Will carry on using it and post the results later :D  Thanks for all your help so far!
m
l
December 27, 2011 2:18:39 PM

Thanks, I hope it works out.
m
l
December 27, 2011 5:37:43 PM

Hmmm, seems to be working right now. Will end the thread and if the issue occurs again will just make a new one :D  Thanks Raiddinn for all ur help!
m
l
December 27, 2011 5:37:53 PM

Best answer selected by jefw123.
m
l
December 27, 2011 5:39:18 PM

Glad I could help. Hopefully the issue doesn't come up again.
m
l
!