Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New system for $600-700

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 26, 2011 5:22:12 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: New years to hit some sales

Budget Range: 600-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing, Coding

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, os, monitor, (possibly others see additional comments)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon (i have like 90$ on amazon credits)

Country: USA USA USA

Parts Preferences: No preference as long as its good quality

Overclocking: future

SLI or Crossfire: Yes in the future (I want it to be capable)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments:

would like to start with 6-8gb of ram

I am looking for a fairly future proof machine in the price range

The case is super important to me in terms of airflow. I have been looking at a few and everyone has there gripes about all of them. Coming from a laptop of an over-heating-beast and seeing my friends desktop melt down I would like a good case to keep things cool (without water cooling but perhaps in the future) Also maybe something with filters to keep the dust out.

Ill be playing bf3 and counter strike global offensive and using adobe cs5 products
I would like to run these games on a high setting at least. When the guns in mw are suppose to be gold id like them to be gold... not brown haha.

This is where my addition maybe parts not required will come in.
I have a Dell Optiplex 745 that I can take some parts out of. I was thinking about just using the hdd since its loaded up with win 7 already.

Also I have looked on the site for other builds that have been created around this price range but its either turned into a build/parts war or something that's a little bit old.

More about : system 600 700

December 26, 2011 8:45:13 PM

Hey there! I'm pretty new here but just put together this system (for myself) for $771.93. It includes a small (60GB) SSD but no HDD, so take off 99.90$ if you don't want that one.

The case has a lot (four) 12cm fan slots, so airflow shouldn't be an issue. Actually, you can find a lot of those "high airflow" cases under 50 bucks; this rather depends on personal taste.

The power supply supplies a lot more than the system would need; I guess it would be enough for a second Crossfire VGA (the Motherboard has support for it as well).

The quad-core processor is from the "K" series so you can overclock it in the "future" ;-) The motherboard supports it as well; it's compatible with Ivy Bridge as well.

You get a lot of "bang for the buck" with the HD6870...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Gaming Chassis Mid Tower Steel Computer Case $49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9 $41.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $124.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K $219.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $164.99

----------
$771.93 before rebates
-> $671.94 without the SSD
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 9:46:17 PM

I have yet to go in depth looking at each item but I looks like a strong build.

You mention ivy bridge and i see the sandy bridge... Iv actually never got to learn what that is. seems like its the new thing to have?

Why did you end up going with the thermaltake v4? just curious iv been seeing a lot of folk go with either the cm haf912 or the antec300
m
0
l
Related resources
December 26, 2011 9:56:27 PM

Ivy bridge are the next-gen processors which haven't come out yet. They will be more powerful yet consume less power (32nm to 22nm shrink). I heard they'll be out in Q1 2012.

I took the Thermaltake v4 because it was both cheap and available at my local dealer (I live in Switzerland, so I can't just order my HW at newegg). I don't mind the case either.

m
0
l
December 26, 2011 10:47:11 PM

hmmm well that def seems to be the right step to go if its going to be up and coming here soon(little more future proof). Originally i was looking into a amd 960t but pshhh

Well that would definitely impact my decision if i too were in Switzerland.
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 2:32:04 AM

Also take a look at the $600 build Tom's did recently for ideas:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-p...

also:

Newegg has the Antec 300 on sale again (with free shipping): $55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's a good deal on a 6870 with free games (XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCIe Video Card and Total War: Shogun 2 Game Download Coupon and AMD Dirt3 Game Download): $150 after MIR (with free shipping)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The 6870 really is a good price/performance card right now!
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 5:15:29 AM

phensen said:
Also take a look at the $600 build Tom's did recently for ideas:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-p...

also:

Newegg has the Antec 300 on sale again (with free shipping): $55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's a good deal on a 6870 with free games (XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCIe Video Card and Total War: Shogun 2 Game Download Coupon and AMD Dirt3 Game Download): $150 after MIR (with free shipping)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The 6870 really is a good price/performance card right now!


Thank you a lot for this link. It's pretty funny that I built myself pretty much the same computer that tomshardware recommends for that price range ;-) I noticed that my mainboard only has x4 on the second PCI Express x16 slot.. I'm not sure if you can use crossfire with that...?
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 5:25:41 AM

spoili said:
Ivy bridge are the next-gen processors which haven't come out yet. They will be more powerful yet consume less power (32nm to 22nm shrink). I heard they'll be out in Q1 2012.

I took the Thermaltake v4 because it was both cheap and available at my local dealer (I live in Switzerland, so I can't just order my HW at newegg). I don't mind the case either.


I heard they'll be out in may 2012.
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 5:30:32 AM

spoili said:
Thank you a lot for this link. It's pretty funny that I built myself pretty much the same computer that tomshardware recommends for that price range ;-) I noticed that my mainboard only has x4 on the second PCI Express x16 slot.. I'm not sure if you can use crossfire with that...?



It looks like you shouldn't have problems running @ 16x 4x crossfire:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1605371
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 6:04:24 AM

droozel said:
I heard they'll be out in may 2012.


Yeah, my quick google search brought that up as well - Q2 2012 then ;-)

Quote:
It looks like you shouldn't have problems running @ 16x 4x crossfire:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1605371


Thank you for this link
m
0
l
!