Sign in with
Your question

Intel Pentium e2140 1.6Ghz Dual-Core vs. AMD Sempron 145 2.8Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2012 12:31:10 AM

I am what you could call a PC "noob," but I need some help.

I have an old computer that had a Intel Pentium e2140 / 1.6Ghz 2Core CPU.. recently though I got a newer computer with an AMD Sempron 145 / 2.8Ghz. Why this new computer had less than dual core beats me.

On my older computer, I played DiRT 3 all the time, loved it (even with a low end ATI HD 4350.) But now, with this AMD processor, and a ATI Radeon HD 6670, I can not run it simply because of the processor. I need help to decide to just temporarily use an older processor on this new computer. Temporarily, because I am planning to get a Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core.

Which one would satisfy my gaming needs? For now?
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 2, 2012 12:59:37 AM

Pentium. Hurry up and get that 2500k!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 1:46:43 AM

what do u expect of a single core, 512KB cached ,$39 processor....seriosuly??? u actually downgraded!!!

Get a Phenom II X4 960T, its a 95w quad core, which may unlock to a 6 core :) 

If money is a problem, try to get a Athlon II x4 640, or Athlon II x3 455 if possible..

In case ur new mobo supports FX processors, then the FX4100 can be had for around $110, but i not sure how well it games :) 
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2012 4:35:24 PM

I actually think the Sempron gives a lot of bang for the buck. That said, you definitely downgraded. First thought: does your mobo allow for unlocking? The 145 has a good chance at unlocking into an Athlon x2, and they can be overclocked quite well if you have a stable chip if you're into that sort of thing. I only suggest trying to unlock first because you're talking three different socket types, therefore three different motherboards. Your old pentium was LGA 775, your current Sempron is AM3, and you want to move into LGA 1155 with the i5.

If you can unlock it, it should outperform your old pentium. If you're set on eventually upgrading to the i5, I'd limit how much you dump into your AM3 platform now. If you can't unlock it, you'll need to shuffle your old motherboard out as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 5:47:25 PM

You get what you pay for.

Really dumbfounded why you would "upgrade" from a dual core to a single core, then expect it to be faster....
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 2, 2012 6:51:40 PM

My single-core Sempy 140 turned out okay . .

And the OP didn't really ask a question, other than, I need help to decide to just temporarily use an older processor on this new computer.

We need to know what the motherboard is in that computer.

m
l
!