RESISTtheURGE

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hello,
Hey all, just got a new computer built and am having an issue with my PSU and motherboard. I really don't understand where to plug in all the cords into my motherboard and what they all do since they arent labeled. The manuals don't seem to be much help so I came here. Can anyone list out what all the cords do and which ones need and dont need to be hooked into my motherboard (in terms of amount of pins they hae perhaps). Im using a 650W corsair PSU and asus p8p67 m pro motherboard. Thanks!

There will be either a 4 pin or 8 pin connector very close to the processor, that must be plugged in in order for the processor to wake up and for it to try to wake up everything else.

There is another port that will either be 20 or (more likely) 24 pins that powers everything else on the motherboard and it must be plugged in or the processor cannot wake anything else up.

Nothing else is absolutely required.

Everything attached to the motherboard other than the RAM will need its own power most likely.

That includes hard drives, video cards, and cd drives, etc. Each of those will have ports on them that are either a 3x2, 4x2, or 1x4 and it is not hard to figure out how to connect these to the power.

Video cards often need 2 connectors even though they get quite a lot of power from the motherboard itself through the 20/24 pin cord.