Buy now or wait?

Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker and decided to register in order to get some advice. I am looking to purchase a new GPU in order to replace my aging eVGA GTX 275. This card has been fantastic but I recently purchased a new monitor and went from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080; needless to say, my GTX 275 is starting to show it's age.

I am not an extreme gamer but I would like to purchase a new GPU that could last me for a few years. The good news is that I don't really have a budget, but I would like to not spend unnecessarily; for example the MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme edition costs 100 dollars more than the regular Lightning edition and 150 more than the TF II version (approximately). Either the Lightning edition of TF II version would suit my needs just fine, there is no sense in throwing away 100 or 150 dollars for no reason. That being said, I have been eyeballing GTX 580's because I can afford it now. In the past I have purchased the best card I can afford in order to last the longest, as opposed to buying the best bang for the buck and upgrading more often.

My issues lies in Kepler. I am not sure if I should wait to purchase a GTX 680 or whatever they will name it. I do know that I will not want to purchase the first iterations of the card, I will want to wait until some third party vendors get their hands on them and slap on some nice aftermarket coolers. This could increase the waiting time significantly especially since there are issues moving to a 28nm process. The dilemma here is that I may be investing a good amount of money in a GTX 580 but I don't want to have buyers remorse a few months down the line when Kepler arrives. Also, who knows what will happen in 6 months, I may not be able to afford such a high end GPU, then I will be stuck either with my GTX 275 or a mid-range GPU when I could have had a faster high-end GPU.

I know I am not the first to ask this question but any advice is appreciated.

Note - I know fanboyism is stupid but I would prefer to stick with nVIDIA as I have been using their cards since the good ol' 5-series (late 90's?) and I am familiar with their drivers, little quirks, and whatnot. I would also prefer to have a single fast GPU as opposed to an SLi solution.

CPU: i7-920
PSU: Corsair TX750
Monitor: Samsung PX2370 (1920x1080)

5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wait
  1. Depends how much patience you have.

    It wouldn't be a mistake to buy a GTX 580 now thats for sure and I'm sure you would be happy with it, but like I said it depends on how long you are willing to wait.

    I don't think anybody know at the moment how the 6xx series is going to compare in performance to the 5xx series, maybe wait until more imformation is released.
  2. IMO you should buy it now, for those that wait there will allways something else in the future, enjoy it now if you can.

    Dont leave for tomorrow what you can do today.
  3. Best answer
    I agree if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never end up buying anything, because there is always something newer and better coming out. I chose not to wait, and got a 570 last week, but everyones different.

    Either way Warmacblu if you buy now you will be happy and if you wait you will be probably happy too.
  4. I think I am going to purchase the GTX 580 next month around "Black Friday". I have narrowed my decision to these two cards:

    What do you guys think would be a better choice? The money isn't too much of an issue if it serves a purpose and I think the "Lightning Edition" has a better cooler and higher overclocking potential than the "TF II/OC".

    I appreciate any advice.

  5. Best answer selected by Warmacblu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product