Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD 960T Unlock vs i5-2500k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 2, 2012 10:05:49 AM

Hi guys,

So I nearly have enough money to buy my new build, and I'm just trying to decide on the CPU (and mobo depending on CPU).

So far i've narrowed it down to the AMD Phenom II 960T which can unlock to a six-core, but is a very capable quad core and overclocks very well, or the i5-2500k.

The main use of this computer will be for gaming and video editing, and I can't decide whether intel or AMD are going to be better for that. Obviously the intel is more expensive, but the main thing I want to know is am I going to see a difference in performance and is it worth the price gap between the two.

If you have any suggestions other than these two CPU's i'm willing to listen to you guys.


Thanks :D 

More about : amd 960t unlock 2500k

a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 10:16:45 AM

yes and yes 2500k all the way will happily clock up round 4.5 for a bad chip 5+ for a good one which will own the 8150
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 10:17:26 AM

Although the chance of the 960T unocking to a 6 core 1605T is high DO NOT count on it. If you buy one accept you buy a quad and any extra is a bonus.

That said I have one unlocked and OC'd it cost me £90 as opposed to £165 for a 2500k. I got a well featured mobo for under £100 to go with it. So if you want bang for your buck its a good choice that free's cash for other areas.

But

The 2500k is better, that shows clearly in benchmarks. In the real world the difference you see won't be enormous so it boils down to budget really. If you can afford the 2500k and still make the rest of the rig top notch go for it. If buying the 2500k means you then compromise on say the GPU then dont and get the 960T.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 10:17:44 AM

oh and your unlock isnt guaranteed either so dont bank on it getting u over the line
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 1:13:30 PM

+1 to wr6133, buy the 960t with a good mobo and a hyper 212, this will leave you more money towards a better GPU which is more important for a gaming machine.
April 2, 2012 3:10:04 PM

Uther39 said:
+1 to wr6133, buy the 960t with a good mobo and a hyper 212, this will leave you more money towards a better GPU which is more important for a gaming machine.


I already have a GTX 570, so I think the i5 might be an option. Depends on how much money I get this week. It's my birthday :D 
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 2, 2012 3:30:43 PM

Quote:
if wanting a six core then buy a six core, save your money and do not settle.
I personally am not a fan of the 960T, I rather have a (1090-1100)T if six core or a (965-980)BE quad and not counting on unlocking.
as for overclocking the 960T starts with a lower clock 3.0GHz I think, so overclocking it still puts you behind in compared to the others in speed.

Deneb and Thuban cores are a bit faster than zosma cores right? So you have to think of having 6 "unlocked" cores vs. 4 fast cores. Well I guess the BE chips will oc much better...
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 3:58:41 PM

Over here in the UK right now i can actually find Denebs at CCL (965BE @ £88) cheaper than 960T's on the few sites that still have them (between £96 and £112)

While my personal pref is a Thuban when the Deneb is a tenner or more less its a better buy.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 4:12:53 PM

AMEN
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 6:23:37 PM

Quote:
Deneb first, Thuban second, then 'Bulldozer'... :kaola: 

the way I look at it I'll take a 980BE clocked @ 4.4GHz range (+/-) over a six core (whichever one) clocked @ 3.8GHz range (+/-)
but that MIGHT JUST BE ME..
Thuban cores scale well and keep pace ratio wise with Deneb but Deneb is slightly better.
take the chips at stock and look at the anandtech benches.
if were talking about gaming (BF3 and Metro 2033 not included) then I'm going higher clocked quad...
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=147
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=146

but the 960T is the issue here and it's not a good chip but a chip one has to settle on.
so instead of settling, save up another pay period or whatever and get a real chip.
just my opinions..


^^ Hater.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 7:20:11 PM

Quote:
LOL..


Haha i just don't see why you always have something bad to say about the 960T, every thread about this chip... there you are running your mouth.

Face facts 960T is $50 less than a 980
960T has about an 80% chance to go X6 (and still hit 3.6-4.0 Ghz)
960T has a WAY better IMC
The highest clocked 980's are around 4.4Ghz =+700Mhz (overclockers got the 980 to 4.36@ 1.5Vcore)
I have gotten my 960T to 4.2Ghz =+1200 mhz with 1.42vcore
so I get almost 2X the OC out of my 960 with less voltage even though the 980 had a 700 Mhz head start.

I'm not saying anything bad about the 980 only that there are better options available for less $$.
That's fine you like your big clock denebs and have no problem paying for clocks on BE chips... but as a senior member on this forum i expect you to provide accurate and knowledgeable information not just opinionated BS because you personally own a deneb, thanks.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 8:04:31 PM

Quote:
aww, are we a little sensitive or irritated...?
either way your choice is yours and mine is mine, to each is own.
freedom of speech.
and I feel that options for less aren't necessarily better.
you see me on threads talking about it then voice your opinion and we'll keep it moving.
thanks.

and P.S.
I have provided links to my words on other threads, since your tracking them down then you should see those too....
cheers again..


Yes I am irritated you you constantly bash a great product only to shelp your personal preferences to people who don't know any better.
But I guess you are right 1st amendment, say whatever you want... doesn't mean it's correct.
I expect better out of the senior member of this forum.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 8:04:53 PM

^^ He gives plenty of fine info, bud. People around here don't like putting money on an unlock. It's better to go with a 6 core if you can use 6 cores (video encoding etc), and it's better to go quad core if its for games (for higher clocks). As you know.

+1 i5-2500k if its in budget.

The i5 smashes Phenom II in games and even in 6-core tasks thanks to the 500mhz+ extra over Thuban you'll have in OC headroom.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=185

(I pick the 3.0ghz 1075T to show the rough difference after OC headroom is taken into account, it could be even greater of a difference)

I will add, 960T unlocked is a nasty good value if it works, if you are willing to take a risk (however I wouldn't expect 80%, AMD puts them there for a reason).
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 8:08:24 PM

"The i5 smashes Phenom II"

I do so love the animated language of some on this forum, even if a little over the top and in this case exaggerated.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 8:11:12 PM

Uther39 said:
"The i5 smashes Phenom II"

I do so love the animated language of some on this forum, even if a little over the top and in this case exaggerated.


:) 

IMO, Phenom II having lesser IPC than Core2Quad (and C2Q could still OC to 4ghz back then) and having up to ~15% less clocks after overclocking (compared to Sandy i5) is a smashing.

Edit: In <=4 core uses.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 8:12:37 PM

Raidur said:
^^ He gives plenty of fine info, bud. People around here don't like putting money on an unlock. It's better to go with a 6 core if you can use 6 cores (video encoding etc), and it's better to go quad core if its for games (for higher clocks). As you know.

+1 i5-2500k if its in budget.

The i5 smashes Phenom II in games and even in 6-core tasks thanks to the 500mhz+ extra over Thuban you'll have in OC headroom.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=185

(I pick the 3.0ghz 1075T to show the rough difference after OC headroom is taken into account, it could be even greater of a difference)

I will add, 960T unlocked is a nasty good value if it works, if you are willing to take a risk (however I wouldn't expect 80%, AMD puts them there for a reason).


I totally agree with you and factor that into my apreciation for this chip. Even as a 4X it is still a better value than any other available phenom due to it's ability to clock to the same ranges while being available at a considerably lower price point. The X6 is only a perk and I always state that unlock is not always guaranteed, but at 80% it's damn near in the bag.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 9:15:46 PM

If you are able to spend that kind of money on the i5 the 960T should not be considered as the i5 is a much better CPU, for gaming especially. A highly clocked X6 will best a 2500K at some things but then again you can clock the i5 and take that lead right back. If you have the $$ go intel, if you are on a budget AMD.
April 2, 2012 9:41:43 PM

I would say go for the 960T , it gives you more than 40 FPS in all the games.
So that is a Winner.
You have a chance of getting a 6 core - Bonus + winner
The motherboard is cheaper- Winner
You can upgrade your CPU to a steam roller in the future - Bonus + Winner
With intel
you get more than 50 FPS in most games - Your eyes cannot see them
More expensive
Expensive motherboard
Can upgrade - Ivy bridge over priced as intel thinks they have no competition

So finally the 960 T wins I guess.
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 2, 2012 10:16:08 PM

I would still go with 980be , no point of unlocking with the 960t because more cores in games equals less performance.
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 2, 2012 10:22:13 PM

cmi86 said:
Yes I am irritated you you constantly bash a great product only to shelp your personal preferences to people who don't know any better.
But I guess you are right 1st amendment, say whatever you want... doesn't mean it's correct.
I expect better out of the senior member of this forum.

Mal just ripped you apart.....
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 10:24:06 PM

"more cores in games equals less performance."
what a load of rubbish, it may not equal more performance at the moment, but it certainly does not give you any less.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 11:24:59 PM

Uther39 said:
"more cores in games equals less performance."
what a load of rubbish, it may not equal more performance at the moment, but it certainly does not give you any less.


It does when a quad will get >=200mhz higher clocks when overclocking than the X6.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 11:53:07 PM

mitunchidamparam said:
I would say go for the 960T , it gives you more than 40 FPS in all the games.
So that is a Winner.
You have a chance of getting a 6 core - Bonus + winner
The motherboard is cheaper- Winner
You can upgrade your CPU to a steam roller in the future - Bonus + Winner
With intel
you get more than 50 FPS in most games - Your eyes cannot see them
More expensive
Expensive motherboard
Can upgrade - Ivy bridge over priced as intel thinks they have no competition

So finally the 960 T wins I guess.



Ivy bridge will pretty much be the same price as sandy bridge (ex i7 2600k ~$317 i7 2700k~ $332) while i7-377k~$320.
Intel has stated so.
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 12:23:00 AM

amuffin said:
Mal just ripped you apart.....


Ya whatever you say buddy, I'm pretty sure I flat out laid him on his face in my little comparison up there. What did he have to say ... nothing ?

But in all honesty it's whatever, go ahead and pay $50.00 more for a chip with half the OC capability, a worse memory controller and absolutely ZERO chance of unlocking a bonus 2 cores. Paying for clocks on BE chips, one of the least intelligent things I have ever heard in my life.

Either way mind your own business son.
April 3, 2012 12:24:45 AM

whyso said:
Ivy bridge will pretty much be the same price as sandy bridge (ex i7 2600k ~$317 i7 2700k~ $332) while i7-377k~$320.
Intel has stated so.


Every tech site belives that sandy bridge is awesome.
So ivy bridge will surely be overpriced.
But in reality sand bridge and buldozer are like a comparison to a fast car and a pick up truck
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 12:30:05 AM

Quote:
because it does not warrant a response.
not worth it..


Flat out PROVING to you that that a 960T has 2X the OC capability to put it neck and neck with a chip costing $50 more doe's not warrant a response after you call the 960T a chip "one settles on" No I'm alot more inclined to believe you just didn't have a single word to say. Either way I am going continue proving level headed unbiased technical information on this forum, u go ahead and keep spouting your opinions.
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 12:31:32 AM

amuffin said:
Mal just ripped you apart.....


cmi86 said:
Ya whatever you say buddy, I'm pretty sure I flat out laid him on his face in my little comparison up there. What did he have to say ... nothing ?

But in all honesty it's whatever, go ahead and pay $50.00 more for a chip with half the OC capability, a worse memory controller and absolutely ZERO chance of unlocking a bonus 2 cores. Paying for clocks on BE chips, one of the least intelligent things I have ever heard in my life.

Either way mind your own business son.




:) 

a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 12:33:22 AM

Uther39 said:
"more cores in games equals less performance."
what a load of rubbish, it may not equal more performance at the moment, but it certainly does not give you any less.


Yeah I guess he has never heard of multi-player game modes...
April 3, 2012 12:39:16 AM

If gaming is #1 on your list then get the I5-2500. See I use AMD becuase I go for value but if I had the money well...
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 12:40:16 AM

Quote:
see your immaturity is shining through again.
I'm taking the high road.
and by the way that's not rain coming down from above...
:whistle: 


"High road"... Is that what the kids are calling it now a days lol ?

You can call it what ever you want buddy. I have seen you engage in disagreeable discussions with others before and know that if you had something to say that would prove your point you would, so your lack of hard info suggests you don't.

This is completely off topic from the OP, if you would like to continue running your mouth and attacking my character (or even better yet butting up some numbers that back your mouth) you can PM me.
April 3, 2012 12:51:48 AM

Thanks mal, I backed it off to 3.8 again but seemed stable. I need to update my bios as i can't get core temps.
!