Sign in with
Your question

Connecting 3.5mm to RCA cable to TV- no sound.

Last response: in Components
April 2, 2012 10:25:14 AM

I have a Emerson lc320em2 - I connected my computer to the tv via DVI to HDMI cable. I do not have SPDIF to DVI (never knew what it was before I started this...) - I bought as well, a 3.5mm to RCA cable to attempt to get the sound from my computer to my tv - (we're ditching dish/direct and going with netflix, etc. to watch tv) - I've tried settings on my tv, I tried two different sound cards on my pc, I've tried different "sources" on my tv (TV, HDMI1, HDMI2, Video, and PC) and I've even tried plugging my phone in just to see if it was a computer setting that it was having issues with. I havent another device to test the cable on and I'm only hoping that the cable actually works (purchased via amazon). My computers video card is ATI Radeon X1650 and my sound cards are 1) realtek onboard and 2) creative soundblaster live - I am lost, please help.
April 2, 2012 12:08:28 PM

xport7 said:
I have a Emerson lc320em2 - I connected my computer to the tv via DVI to HDMI cable. I do not have SPDIF to DVI (never knew what it was before I started this...) - I bought as well, a 3.5mm to RCA cable to attempt to get the sound from my computer to my tv - (we're ditching dish/direct and going with netflix, etc. to watch tv) - I've tried settings on my tv, I tried two different sound cards on my pc, I've tried different "sources" on my tv (TV, HDMI1, HDMI2, Video, and PC) and I've even tried plugging my phone in just to see if it was a computer setting that it was having issues with. I havent another device to test the cable on and I'm only hoping that the cable actually works (purchased via amazon). My computers video card is ATI Radeon X1650 and my sound cards are 1) realtek onboard and 2) creative soundblaster live - I am lost, please help.

1st - you do know that DVI does not carry sound right? It is for digital video/pictures only. To get pictures and sound you need a HDMI cable from your motherboard to your TV. The cheapest, easiest way for you to accomplish what you want is to return the cable (if possible) and purchase a new GPU that has a HDMI output port. You could also get a TV tuner card. You don't have to get an expensive one for your purpose (TV viewing) just as long as it has the HDMI port. Good luck to you.
m
l
April 2, 2012 4:28:31 PM

I've heard of people talking about sound traveling via dvi to hdmi through spdif. I can't really afford purchasing a new gpu, the cord only cost me a couple dollars but I don't have the money to burn... My pc is an older p4, 3ghz, 2gb ram... So you can probably tell by my specs, I don't have a whole lot of money lol
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2012 4:54:45 PM

1: SPDIF to DVI was a technique used by 8000/9000/200 series NVIDIA GPU's to get audio output out of the soundcard. An internal SPDIF header was used to connect the onboard audio chipset to the GPU, which could then output audio via DVI to HDMI connection. This does NOT apply to the OP.

2: DVI *can* carry an audio signal, but its rarely used. Its mainly used when the GPU is passing through an audio signal through a DVI to HDMI connection.

3: The x1650 can NOT pass through any audio signal, so HDMI is not an option.

4: Depending on the TV, you may be out of luck. Best case, the TV has a SPDIF input port, but you motherboard/soundcard would need a SPDIF output. Some TV's will have a "PC input" [TRS] port you can use, which will also have a corresponding video input, but this varies by brand/model. Without knowing the TV, I can't comment farther.
m
l
April 2, 2012 5:11:53 PM

The tv has SPDIF, RCA, Composite, HDMI, and the PC in (via VGA) - I don't understand... I read, and even watched a video on "how to hook up your pc to your tv" and people have said without a video card with the ability to transfer sound, you can get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and run it from your soundcard to your RCA audio in on your tv. I really wish I had another tv to test the cable on.
m
l
April 2, 2012 6:23:02 PM

Well, remember that most TV's are Interlaced by default, so they may not accept a progressive scanned signal (which is normal for PC's). Most video cards have separate output modes for TV's for just that reason.
m
l
April 2, 2012 6:35:24 PM

xport7 said:
The tv has SPDIF, RCA, Composite, HDMI, and the PC in (via VGA) - I don't understand... I read, and even watched a video on "how to hook up your pc to your tv" and people have said without a video card with the ability to transfer sound, you can get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and run it from your soundcard to your RCA audio in on your tv. I really wish I had another tv to test the cable on.

Do you have a speaker (separate from the TV) that you can plug the RCA cord into? If so does that work when you play audio on your PC? Try an mp3 song. It might be the cord but I suspect that your TV circuitry prohibits the reception from more than 1 input source at a time. If it receives the video signal from the DVI/HDMI cable it probably "deactivates" the other input plugs. That's why you have to set the TV input to "PC - HDMI1 - HDMI2 - TV etc.". When you set that you effectively shut off the other not selected inputs. You could try having the sound come through a separate speaker (not your TV) and the video alone coming through your TV and see if that works for you. Then again you might just have a faulty RCA cord for your sake I hope it's that simple.
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:32:36 AM

I posted the same on Y! Answers, found out that I had to plug the DVI to HDMI to HDMI1 not HDMI2 - Simple fix that I hadn't tried...
m
l
April 9, 2012 3:54:53 AM

^^ AHHH, I even knew that one, but didn't think of it. Yes, most TV's only accept a PC signal over one HDMI port.
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:20:11 AM

Well the video worked via HDMI2 just the sound didn't...
m
l
!