Wireless zero configuration problems

BigFudge

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello,

I'm having a serious problem with my laptop (an acer) which i cannot seem to find any reference to anywhere... at all. My problem is that when i attempt to connect to my wireless network, which is very much in range and works for all of my other three laptops, this acer laptop cannot find my network, nor any other network at all as it seems. it says something along the lines of "windows cannot configure this wireless network... if you want to use windows to configure your wireless network, use the wireless zero configuration tool.." Now, i did use the wireless zero configuration tool once, I simply opened its "properties" menu, switched it to automatic, stopped it, then started it again, and this first time, it worked perfectly, my computer could once again detect wireless networks. Now, unfortunately, the problem reappeared, and i attempted to remedy it as i had earlier, but alas, when i accessed the wireless zero configuration tool, i found that it was not in the "start" gear, it was stopped. So i pressed "start", and i get a message that says something along the lines of "Wireless zero.. has started and stopped again. Some services stop automatically if they are no longer needed.." However, contrary to what windows seems to so abnoxiously claim, it did not solve the problem as it had before, as my computer could still not detect a single wireless network. I have battled with this endlessly to no end.

I might add that i have recently purchased a wi-fi max wirless dongle (not the one that accompanies the zydas software, it appears to be another type) which i have attemtped to use as a wirless access point for my nintendo DS (1st gen). yet to my dismay, i have yet another problem, which is that i cannot get the wifi max to obtain the IP address of my wireless network (the few times i can get my computer to connect to it). I attempt to allow my wireless network to let other computers and/or devices to connect to it, under the wireless networks properties menu. However, more often than not, the wireless network itself cannot be set as the "home network", and thus my wifi max dongle cannot aquire the IP address of my wireless network.

I realize this is a long and tedious post, but I am quite desperate to make this work as i have devoted an astounding amount of time to solving this, and i beg of you, please help me.

sincerely,
CT

To get the WZC Service running properly, you need to turn off the opposition so track that one down and tick to disable it. Then start WZC and make sure it's set to Automatic. The issue that usually prevents smooth connection is security and some chips aren't capable of connecting to WPA2 security level.

BigFudge

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

how would i track down the opposition?

Start then Run, type msconfig into the Open box and press Enter. Click the Services tab and untick "Hide all Microsoft" then find the Service related to the manufacturer of your equipment and untick it. Click Apply then OK and restart, after which you need to tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter.

An indication would be the name of the manufacturer of your wireless adapter. If you use a Dell laptop, the maker would be described as Dell - a Belkin USB dongle would use a Belkin utility to run the device.

BigFudge

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
tp-link configuration service
application layer gateway service
trend micro solution platform
apple mobile device
windows audio
adminworks agent x6
background inelligent transfer service
bonjour-service
computer browser
cyberlink background capture service (cbcs)
cyberlink task scheduler (CTS)
cryptographic services
cyberlink media library service
dcom server process launcher
dhcp client
dns client
error reporting service
event log
COM+ Event system
Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log
fast user switching compatibility
help and support
http ssl
ipod service
server
workstation
tcp/ip NetBIOS helper
windows installer
network connections
network location awareness (NLA)
plug and play
ipsec services
protected storage
ralink registry writer
remote access auto connection manager
remote access connection manager Intel(R) PROSet/wireless registry service
cyberlink richvideo service (CRVS)
remote procedure call (RPC)
Intel(R) PROSet/wireless service
security accounts manager
smart card
task scheduler
seaport
secondary logon service
system event notification
windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS)
shell hardware detection
print spooler
system restore service
ssdp discovery service
starwind AE service
wia (windows image acquisition)
telephony
terminal services
themes
distributed link tracking client
universal plug and play decice host
windows time
weclient
windows management instrumentation
security center
automatic updates
windows driver foundation- user-mode driver framework
application management
asp .net state service
ati hotkey poller
indexing service
.net runtime optimization service v2.0.50727_X86
COM+ system application
logical disk manager administrative service
logical disk manager
wired autoconfig
eap-service (extensible authentication protocol)
fax
windows presentation foundation font cache 3.0.0.0
service windows live family safety
service google update
google software updater
health key and certificate management service
installdriver table manager
windows cardspace
imapi cd-burning com service
netmeeting remote desktop sharing
distributed transaction coordinator
network access protection agent
¨net logon
nt lm security support provider
removable storage
microsoft office diagnostics service
office source engine
remote desktop help session manager
remote procedure call (RPC) locator
QoS RSVP
MS software shadow copy provider
uninterruptible power supply
user privilege service
volume shadow copy
portable media serial number service
windows media player network sharing service
wireless zero configuration
network provisioning service

this is my services list in its entirety (yes i transcribed it cuz im rediculously desperate). ive tried deactivating all Intel(R) related services, Ralink registry writer (watever that is), and the tp link configuration, yet WZC still only works for a little while, then stops and wont start again. I'm at the end of my rope here, and i would be eternally gratefull if you could check the list above for wat it is im looking for.

You were right to stop the TP-Link Service because that's the right one. When WZC falls over, does that one restart? Go from Start to Run then type into the Open box msconfig and hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and find any reference to TP-Link and untick it then click Apply. Click the Services tab and click to "Hide all Microsoft" and do the same. Click Apply and OK then restart and when the system comes back, tick the "Don't show this message again" box and hit Enter.

BigFudge

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
aha! these problems started right about the time i purchased a TP link wireless adapter and installed its software... thinking it could be used as an access point for my NDS. well ive uninstalled all of its cursed software. i suppose that should take care of it. thank you very much much mr saga lout, seems i got in over my head when i tried make these things work, seeing as my computer skills leave a whole lot to be desired. thank you again for your time, i am very grateful

I think your best bet now is to uninstall, restart the computer then reinstall that wireless adapter and when prompted to decide whether its own utility or the WZC should command things, choose WZC. I can only think it became corrupted somewhere deep in the Registry by the other utility.