PC won't boot after installing new mobo, CPU, PSU, and RAM

Thenoobpcbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I installed a bunch of new parts today, and made sure all plugs were plugged in. There's no spot for the disk drive pins to go into, would that cause it from not starting?

Thenoobpcbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

That's the thing, I don't have a spot to plug it into.

phensen

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

To truly help you resolve this it would be best if you were really specific:

1) What are the new parts you put in.

2) What are the old parts that you kept

3) What is your hard drive make/model/etc.

4) What is your Power Supply make/model

My guess is that you need to plug a four pin molex from the power supply into your hard drive, or you're trying to use an older IDE drive on a sata motherboard... these are just guesses until we can look over the complete information.

Thanks and good luck with your new build!

jdr6382

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
please tell me you might be able to help me...

*quick background on when issue began*
the power in the house went out.
the computer was unplugged after it went out.
after the power came back, the computer was plugged back in and was unable to boot.
it was plugged into a surge protector the entire time

The System Is:
AM2+ Gigabyte mb
quad core AM2 cpu
650w power supply
5 gigs of DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 465

I sent the mb to Gigabyte as it was still in warranty
The box has the same serial number on it, so I assume the simply repaired the mb

after installing everything on the mb, the computer was still unable to boot
I bought a brand new power supply, 675w, and was still unable to boot after installing it
I bought a used AM2 duel core cpu, and was still unable to boot
the RAM is working fine in a different computer, and I did try booting with just one stick of RAM installed
I eliminated the Antec case by unplugging all the fans and LEDs, and unplugging the power button's cable from the mb, I used a screw driver to complete the circuit between the power pins on the mb, it still didn't boot

when I first installed the new power supply, the LEDs on the case lit up for not even a full second, but only on the initial try
when I installed the other processor, the LEDs came on for less than a second as well, and never again, same results
that makes me think those instances could be related

I'm thinking Gigabyte definitely, simply "repaired" the mb, so it leads me to think that I may still have a mb issue, then again I can't imagine them sending the mb back to me when they haven't tested it to ensure it works.

so, what do you think, I'm completely drained from ideas and need some help, I'd greatly appreciate it