Looking to build my first computer, deciding between two combo deals

vr6andrew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
so I'm building a computer for the first time. I've done a bit of research in the past couple of months on what seems to be the best components for my needs and have found a couple of what appears to be good combo deals from newegg.

let me begin with that I am building a new computer particularly for games such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and Starcraft 2. I don't really care for Ultra graphics. I would settle for high on 1920x1080.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.793720

I was interested in this mostly because of the additional blu-ray driver. I've begun buying all my movies on blu-ray. However, I'm not sure if 4gb of RAM is enough, or the radeon 6850 and phenom x6 1055t is good enough for Skyrim or Battlefield 3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.770956

This is a little bit cheaper but does not come with a cd/dvd burner. It does come with the beloved i5-2500k, a GTX 560 Ti, and 8gb of RAM.

Anyways, to sum it up, I'm looking to play games with this new computer on 1920x1080 on at least high settings. I was also wondering if there would be anything else I need to buy for my first computer? I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I know I need to buy a wireless adapter as well.

Thank you

Depends on if you want to Crossfire/SLI. However, both of them, if you do decide to Crossfire/SLI (use 2+ Graphics), will not power them. I hear a 750W PSU is recommended.

From the games you are playing, the second build will be overkill if you don't really care for ultra settings. Overall, I say go with build 1.

vr6andrew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
the amd build also has 1 tb hdd which is definite overkill considering that on my current computer I only have 280 gb used. I also plan on getting a laptop for school use so the computer will be used for the basic computer uses, such as web surfing, watching videos, and listening to music, and also playing games.