Problems with core i3 2120

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hi people from toms hardware. thank you beforehand because i know u will help me with my problem.

i have core i3 2120 with gigabyte ga h61m ds2. I install win7 with no problems, and the pc works fine.

but as soon as i install the VIDEO DRIVER for the intergated graphic on the cpu, at random it shows extreme artifacts then freezes. i have to do a hard reset so it gets to work again.

that happens on win 7. not while loading or in the post screen.

sometimes it happens as soon as win7 starts, after the "wellcome" message. other times it happens after 5-10 minutes of win7 working.

if i uninstall the video drivers then it start working again.

so the problem is the integrated video. i installed the driver on the cd that came with the motherboard, and also uninstalled it and installed the one from the official gigabyte site.

what can i do to try to solve it?

if it is a hardware problem, it is from the cpu or the motherboard?

thank you again and i hope u answer me soon

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
From where did you get the driver? I would suggest either gigabyte's site or directly from Intel, but not provided Cd/DVD, as they could be too old.
Also, do you have SP1 installed? I got startup BSODs until I installed it (laptop with i3-2367M), but I never got to welcome screen.

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hello all and thanks for you recomendations.

I did a full update of win7, and downloaded the driver from the intel site, and the problem persist:

if i dont install the video driver, it works fine, on win 7, etc. but as soon as i install the driver, at random, can be 2 minutes, 5, when it starts, etc, i get artifacts, the pc freezes, i cant move the mouse and sometimes after a while in that condition it auto resets.

so i guess i need to do a rma for a defective part. in that case, what do u think i should return? the cpu? or the motherboard? (since the integrated video is in the cpu)

or there is any other thing i can do?

thank you again i hope u answer me :D

G

IF it doesn't show up as a problem in the device manager in windows 7 and it is fully functioning, you get the color bit depth and resolution with the win7 native driver, i'd leave it.

i don't know if intel or the vendor you purchased the CPU from would rma a some what functioning component. check with them.

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
ty for ur reply.

i can change resolution and the color bit depth aparently is the usual, but when i do things like playback of movies they are slow, and ill try to install a game to see how it runs.

thank you again, any other suggestion will be appreciated

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
thank you for your reply.

the memory i am using right now is from my other pc, and that memory has no problems at all.

and if i dont install the intel hd video drivers, all works without problems, only that the playback of the movies is not good :(

G

Core i3 2120 + Asus P8H77-M LE in Win7 worked fine until I updated the graphics driver to Intel HD. It caused windows starting to black screen and no signal on the monitor.
I found that changing the cable from DVI to VGA made the difference.
Apparently something wrong with the output in digital (HDMI and DVI) :(

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
hello guys, just to get a closure after all this time :D i wanted to say that the problem was due to a strange thing involving the ram memmory and the integrated video card. so basically it was the ram which was not compatible, but with the video card, not the pc. memtest, all would give good results, but as soon as i installed the video driver of the integrated video, it starts to fail. after changing the ram, it works fine.